1. #1 Man Thrown Out Of Universal Studios For Wearing Police T-Shirt 
    Ah, liberal free thought in action again: http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...171900772.html

The family asked to see the policy in writing and questioned the order. They also offered to have the security officers follow them to Billabong, a clothing store inside the park, so they could buy another T-shirt. However, more security officers showed up and told Christian not to bother buying another shirt because he needed to leave the park.

The family left the park, and although they were refunded the $500 they spent on tickets for Blue Man Group, they say they won't return to Universal Studios. "They even threatened to arrest us. That really terrified me. I run a school! I've never done anything against the law," Diana told WPTV.

Yahoo Shine could not reach the Jarosz family for comment and a rep from Universal Studios did not return Yahoo Shine's email; however, a spokesperson for Universal Studios Florida emailed the following statement to WPTV: "The only people we allow in our parks with shirts or other clothing that might identify them as police officers are working law enforcement personnel. This is for everyone's safety and to avoid confusion by our guests. And while we don't discuss specific guest situations, I can tell you it is our practice to clearly explain policy decisions to our guests — and it is not our practice to ask guests to leave our theme parks simply because they ask us questions. I'd invite these guests to contact us if they'd like to have a conversation about what happened."
    So if you dare to wear a PDNY or FDNY hat or t-shirt or, dare I say it, a CSI: Crime Scene Investigations t-shirt you will get tossed out of Universal Studios. However, Che Guevara, Obama, Mao, and other leftists t-shirts are more than welcome. The worst part about this is that the family offered to go get a different t-shirt but the brown shirted security guards tossed the family anyway. I guess this is what Lainie would refer to liberal free thought.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Ah, liberal free thought in action again: http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...171900772.html

So if you dare to wear a PDNY or FDNY hat or t-shirt or, dare I say it, a CSI: Crime Scene Investigations t-shirt you will get tossed out of Universal Studios. However, Che Guevara, Obama, Mao, and other leftists t-shirts are more than welcome. The worst part about this is that the family offered to go get a different t-shirt but the brown shirted security guards tossed the family anyway. I guess this is what Lainie would refer to liberal free thought.
    I can almost understand this. The guy wearing the shirt was not a cop, but the shirt appeared to be a uniform item that identified him as a police officer. The expulsion was absurd, but the initial reaction, to allow him to buy a new shirt, was the right one.

"The only people we allow in our parks with shirts or other clothing that might identify them as police officers are working law enforcement personnel. This is for everyone's safety and to avoid confusion by our guests. And while we don't discuss specific guest situations, I can tell you it is our practice to clearly explain policy decisions to our guests — and it is not our practice to ask guests to leave our theme parks simply because they ask us questions. I'd invite these guests to contact us if they'd like to have a conversation about what happened."

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Very weird...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Why didn't they sent the SWAT team into Billabong? It was selling those shirts in the park. Take em all down. Taze someone.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

So what Universal is saying is that if I'm wearing my NJDOC t-shirt, I'll be thrown out? What about someone wearing a USMC or an Army Ranger t-shirt? Stupid policy.

I have two thoughts on this.

1. The union for workers at Universal has some clout and this might be something they requested for the protection of their own security workers.

2. Universal might be afraid of (or might have already been through) a lawsuit related to mistaken identity of a police officer. Suppose one of the tourists visiting there needed a police officer. If this person sees someone with a police shirt and this person is not a cop (even off duty), the tourist-victim could be delayed in receiving help. In the case of a sexual assault or sudden health problem, even a slight delay could cause added trauma or injury and the tourist could sue the park.

I really think this rule is not about curtailing free speech but about preventing lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I have two thoughts on this.

1. The union for workers at Universal has some clout and this might be something they requested for the protection of their own security workers.

2. Universal might be afraid of (or might have already been through) a lawsuit related to mistaken identity of a police officer. Suppose one of the tourists visiting there needed a police officer. If this person sees someone with a police shirt and this person is not a cop (even off duty), the tourist-victim could be delayed in receiving help. In the case of a sexual assault or sudden health problem, even a slight delay could cause added trauma or injury and the tourist could sue the park.

I really think this rule is not about curtailing free speech but about preventing lawsuits.
    They kicked he and his family out of the park and wouldn't let them buy a replacement t-shirt. They even disallowed them to go see the show they paid for. This is an affront to free speech and not lawsuit prevention. It's all about what it looks like.

They kicked he and his family out of the park and wouldn't let them buy a replacement t-shirt. They even disallowed them to go see the show they paid for. This is an affront to free speech and not lawsuit prevention. It's all about what it looks like.
    Yeah, this part of it I don't get. They could have just allowed the family to buy another T-shirt.

They should of just let the guy buy another shirt. I can understand why they did not want him to wear the one that said "police." What if some weirdo was there impersonating a police officer around all those children?

The article gets very interesting:

And most recently, in August, online retailer the Children's Place pulled a girls' T-shirt from its shelves after a public outcry over the shirt's slogan, which had a checklist that read, "My Best Subjects: Shopping. Music. Dancing. Math." All the boxes were checked off except "Math."

So what Universal is saying is that if I'm wearing my NJDOC t-shirt, I'll be thrown out? What about someone wearing a USMC or an Army Ranger t-shirt? Stupid policy.
    From what the policy says, you'd be permitted to wear it because you are on the job, since it exempts working law enforcement personnel. The military shirts wouldn't be an issue, because nobody is going to come up to a guy in an Army shirt and expect him to enforce the park rules. It's probably to prevent confusion between the park's security force and civilians.

That's the odd part of the story. I don't know what happened between the guy with the shirt and the security people, so I'm not going to speculate as to whether there was an attitude issue on either side, but all things being equal, they should have let him get a replacement shirt.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!