Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Building melts car really 
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,750
    You'll be forgiven for thinking that this sounds like something out of a sci-fi novel: A 37-story skyscraper in London (pictured above), which is known locally as the "Walkie Talkie" thanks to its unusual shape, is being blamed for melting $1,500-worth of parts off a Jaguar that happened to be in the way of light rays reflecting off the building's surface. Martin Lindsay was distraught to discover his wing mirrors and the Jaguar's badge had literally melted off his car after he parked it near the building (pictured above), known more formally as 20 Fenchurch Street. The building's developers have agreed to sort out the repairs and are looking into the light reflection issue. Lindsay told the BBC that he could imagine even more serious problems: "Imagine if the sun reflected on the wrong part of the body." Imagine indeed
    http://now.msn.com/walkie-talkie-bui...?ocid=ansnowex
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,885
    HA!!! Saw that yesterday.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    13,094
    It melted parts on a Jaguar, but there is no mention of other cars being affected.


    More reason to stick with Ford, I guess.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,750
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It melted parts on a Jaguar, but there is no mention of other cars being affected.


    More reason to stick with Ford, I guess.

    Ford bought Jaguar in 1989, selling it in 2008 to the Indian company Tata Motors.

    It's not the car, it's the parking spots that had to be taken out of service due to the sun's reflection off the building causing surface temperatures of up to 160 degrees.




    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 09-04-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Meshuga Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Anselmo CA
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Ford bought Jaguar in 1989, selling it in 2008 to the Indian company Tata Motors.

    It's not the car, it's the parking spots that had to be taken out of service due to the sun's reflection off the building causing surface temperatures of up to 160 degrees.




    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675
    Giant concave mirrors...focusing that light/heat,,,,what a BRILLIANT piece of architectural engineering
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuga Mikey View Post
    Giant concave mirrors...focusing that light/heat,,,,what a BRILLIANT piece of architectural engineering
    Exactly.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    I can buy it. The glass on my front screen door heated my front door up so much yesterday (in 80 degree temps) that I placed my hand on it for a split second, and burned myself so badly I almost got blisters.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •