Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 Top mistakes men make.........while shaving. 
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,184
    Bad shaving practices can often leave your skin feeling tight, sore and looking less than its best.

    Because shaving is a fact of life for so many men, we assume that we all know how to shave correctly. But the truth is there are several common mistakes made by men of all ages that contribute to all kinds of shaving dilemmas. Eradicate these mistakes from your performance, and you’re much more likely to achieve a smoother, more comfortable shave.

    1. Inadequate preparation
    As the old saying goes; “fail to prepare and you prepare to fail”, so before you jump straight in with your razor and tear up your face, you’ll need to do a bit of ground work. Firstly you need to wash your face with warm water in order to open your pores, gently exfoliate the skin, bring out ingrown hairs and raise your beard. Exfoliate the skin by using facial scrub.

    If your beard is particularly course, or your skin extra sensitive, it may also be a good idea to use pre-shave oil. This will further soften your stubble and act as a protective shield for your skin.
    Tip: Steam is great for opening open pores and softening stubble, so where possible, shave straight after a shower (or even in the shower if you can).

    Top Shaving Mistakes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,337
    I've been shaving in the shower since 1969
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    I use cheap shaving gel (Equate) and expensive disposable razors. Cheap disposable razors hurt.
    I shave in the shower.
    I shave against the grain after shaving with the grain.
    I never have a problem with irritation.
    I do have a tube of apricot facial scrub but I only use it occasionally and I use it after shaving, not before.

    I have an irrational fear of straight razors and haven't let a barber use one since I was ten years old.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I use cheap shaving gel (Equate) and expensive disposable razors. Cheap disposable razors hurt.
    I shave in the shower.
    I shave against the grain after shaving with the grain.
    I never have a problem with irritation.
    I do have a tube of apricot facial scrub but I only use it occasionally and I use it after shaving, not before.

    I have an irrational fear of straight razors and haven't let a barber use one since I was ten years old.
    Most barbers no longer seem to use a straight razor on the neck after a haircut. I miss that. As far as the face or neck, I don't think I would be comfortable.

    I use cheap shaving cream, such as Barbasol the gels don't seem to work out for me.

    I have never shaved my face in the shower.

    Once in a while I will grab a razor (expensive or not so expensive) that will butcher my face. It's not that bad, but it's still not comfortable.

    I find most of the post shaving balms are full of alcohol and they sting, here in the dry weather I try to use something once in a while after shaving or showering on my face to prevent dryness. I have to keep my baby face.

    I am not sure if I am going with the grain or against it, I just figure out what works then I continue.

    I found this website interesting: http://www.barbasol.com/#WatchThis/0/

    They even have a book with funny reviews: http://www.amazon.com/The-Field-Guid...ide+to+manhood
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 09-07-2013 at 06:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member ReinMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Luna Pier, MI
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    ...

    I find most of the post shaving balms are full of alcohol and they sting, here in the dry weather I try to use something once in a while after shaving or showering on my face to prevent dryness. I have to keep my baby face.

    ...
    Dry weather, hot or cold, can be a killer...

    When I did ECW (Extreme Cold Weather) training with the Canadian Army, they recommended rather firmly against shaving immediately prior to going out in cold weather (-50F or so where we were, -80F at night...) Something about stripping the oils off your skin, and then exposing to extremely dry air...

    We were directed to shave at night, immediately prior to hitting our racks. Air at -40F and below contains 0% humidity...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

    ~John Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    So, when we force-shaved Nidal Hasan, we should have used hot water and gel before rubbing his face with a brick? :D

    Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, when we force-shaved Nidal Hasan, we should have used hot water and gel before rubbing his face with a brick? :D

    Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    I would have thought that the worst mistake would be the use of the word "manscaping."
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    About a decade ago, I was using a razor that had 3 blades. I was still half asleep getting up for work, and not paying attention I pulled down a little hard... Took my hand off, and the blade was just hanging from my face.

    I've only made that mistake once in my life.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    Dry weather, hot or cold, can be a killer...

    When I did ECW (Extreme Cold Weather) training with the Canadian Army, they recommended rather firmly against shaving immediately prior to going out in cold weather (-50F or so where we were, -80F at night...) Something about stripping the oils off your skin, and then exposing to extremely dry air...

    We were directed to shave at night, immediately prior to hitting our racks. Air at -40F and below contains 0% humidity...
    Wow, that is cold!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •