Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Kerry: We're Talking About An "Unbelievably Small" Effort In Syria 
    SECRETARY OF STATE JOHN KERRY: Now, I believe that the aftermath of the Iraq experience and Afghanistan leave a lot of people saying, "We don’t want to see our young people coming back in a body bag," and so forth. But that’s not what we’re talking about. And what we have to do is make clear to people that this is – we’re not talking about war. We’re not going to war. We will not have people at risk in that way. We will be able to hold Bashar Assad accountable without engaging in troops on the ground or any other prolonged kind of effort in a very limited, very targeted, very short-term effort that degrades his capacity to deliver chemical weapons without assuming responsibility for Syria’s civil war. That is exactly what we’re talking about doing – unbelievably small, limited kind of effort.
    Video of ketchup queen at link>http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid..._in_syria.html

We're talking small, miniscule, Blud Lite so to speak. The same great killin' but a lot less fillin"

This message brought to you by Blud Lite a subsidiary of Red line in the Sand Breweries.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

It's easy to say "What could go wrong?" before you roll the snowball off the mountain, blow up that old case of dynamite that's probably no good anyhow, or drill a hole in that 3' diameter pipe in your backyard to see what's inside.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    But wait!!!

Could Fearless Leader and John F'n Kerry suddenly pull Victory out of defeat???

Will the Ebil Commie Putin put the squeeze on Assad???

Will Assad give his ChemTrail Toys to the (Shudder) U.N.???

Will Duck Dynasty ever be watched by Linda#'s????

Tune in tomorrow, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel!!!

* This update brought to you by Dow Chemicals. Life is all chemicals...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Here Are the Top 14 (Mostly Brutal) Reactions to Kerry’s ‘Unbelievably Small’ Remarks on Syria

Sep. 9, 2013 3:12pm Becket Adams

Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday said a U.S. military strike on Syria would be “limited” and “unbelievably small,” words that must have struck fear in the heart of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
    “We will be able to hold Bashar Assad accountable without engaging in troops on the ground, or any other prolonged kind of effort, in a very limited, very targeted, very short-term effort,” Kerry said at a joint press conference with British Foreign Secretary William Hague in London.
    Kerry added that it would be an “unbelievably small, limited kind of effort.”
    Considering Kerry was speaking in favor of U.S. involvement in Syria, some were left scratching their heads over his word choices.
    Would an “unbelievably small” military strike actually accomplish something in the war-torn country? Would Assad even take that threat seriously?
    Needless to say, the reaction from observers was not favorable.
    Here are the top 14 reactions (in no particular order):
    14. ABC News’ Jonathan Karl wrote: “Here’s an unusual way to instill fear into the heart of your enemy.”
    13. Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.):
    “I don’t understand what he means by that,” Rep. Rogers, who’s in favor of a military strike on Syria, said Monday on MSNBC.
    “I don’t think describing the size or effort of what our target sets are or what ship fires what missile is in our national security interest, candidly. And again, this is part of the problem.
    “That’s a very confusing message — certainly a confusing message to me that he would offer that as somebody who believes this is in our national security interest,” he added.
    12. Conservative commentator Bill Kristol:
    “I am worried, though, the administration has done such a bad job of making its case,” the Weekly Standard editor said Monday. “John Kerry in London to reassure the British and Europeans said…we’re not talking about war. It would be very targeted, very short-termed. Then he said it would be an ‘unbelievably small,’ limited kind of effort.’”
    Kristol, who favors intervening in Syria, said Kerry’s remarks have “shaken in his support.”
    “Now we have the secretary of state saying, ‘Well, we went to Congress, it was so important to go to Congress, for an unbelievably small limited strike,’” he said.
    “Even I can see why reasonable people on the Hill, and I think it’s unfair to characterize them all as isolationists or irresponsible, reasonable people on the Hill can say is that really better than nothing?”
    11. Human EventsJohn Hayward called it a “sound bite that will linger in history.”
    10. Slate’s Joshua Keating wrote [emphasis added]:
    “I may not have much experience with brinksmanship, but it seems to me that threatening to hit someone becomes a lot less effective when at the same time you’re telling your friends, Don’t worry, I’m not going to hit him that hard. And convincing the public that this situation is analogous to the buildup to the largest war in human history is difficult when you’re also saying that an “unbelievably small” effort will be sufficient to deal with it. Given the blows the Assad regime has already absorbed over the last two years, it’s hard to imagine statements like these changing his thinking.
    I realize the administration is speaking to multiple audiences—trying to play bad cop with Assad at the same time it’s trying to cajole a skeptical American public. But when the same official is playing both roles, it becomes a little hard to keep the narrative straight.
    9. But not everyone was so hard on Kerry. The Atlantic’s James Fallows offered the following defense:
    You know what he meant. He was advancing the argument for a contained, “surgical,” pinpoint, etc., effort that would be big enough to let Assad and future dictators know the cost of using chemical weapons, yet not so broad as to entrap the United States in the ongoing (horrific) civil war. If the two words that had come to his mind in real time had been “unbelievably precise” rather than “unbelievably small,” no one would have blinked.
    And then there was the reaction on Twitter. As per the norm, it was pretty brutal:
    8. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.):
    Kerry says #Syria strike would be "unbelievably small" - that is unbelievably unhelpfulabout 12 hours ago via webReplyRetweetFavorite

@SenJohnMcCainJohn McCain

7. National Review’s Charles C. W. Cooke:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...arks-on-syria/
    This remark is very Bidenistic.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

I have to wonder if John Kerry didn't first hear this phrase uttered by his wife, perhaps on several occasions and it some how slipped out during his speech.

So, we've gone from "Shock and Awe" to "Aw shucks?"

Meanwhile, the administration is in the process of training mosquitoes (non-malarial, of course) to bite Bashir Assad on the back of his knees, which will itch terribly. That'll show him.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    And we can trust the U.N. and Putin. Right???
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    "Absolutely" and "Relative to Obama" are two entirely different questions.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    "Absolutely" and "Relative to Obama" are two entirely different questions.
    Oh, we can absolutely trust them, just not to do anything that we ask. Putin has his agenda, as does the UN. Both want to see the US weakened and humbled. We can trust them to ensure that this is done. Restraining Assad and collecting his WMDs? Not so much.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, we've gone from "Shock and Awe" to "Aw shucks?"

Meanwhile, the administration is in the process of training mosquitoes (non-malarial, of course) to bite Bashir Assad on the back of his knees, which will itch terribly. That'll show him.
    Or, as Rush put it yesterday, we've gone from "Shock and Awe" to "Shuck and Jive".
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf