Results 1 to 10 of 19
#1 Conservative leader Abbott sweeps into power in Australian elections09-07-2013, 05:15 PM
REUTERS By Rob Taylor and James Grubel | Reuters – 3 hours ago
SYDNEY/CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australia's conservative leader Tony Abbott swept into office in national elections on Saturday as voters punished the outgoing Labor government for six years of turbulent rule and for failing to maximize the benefits of a now fading mining boom.
Abbott, a former boxer, Rhodes scholar and trainee priest, promised to restore political stability, cut taxes and crack down on asylum seekers arriving by boat.
"From today I declare that Australia is under new management and Australia is once more open for business," Abbott told jubilant supporters in Sydney.
It was frustration with Labor's leadership turmoil that cost the government dearly at the polls.
May the FORCE be with you!
09-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Abbott's a good man, but I've never seen him go solo. Hopefully, Lou Costello will have a job in the cabinet. I know that Who's going to be the Minister of Defense, What's the Foreign Minister and I Don't Know is the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
09-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Perhaps the pendulum is starting to swing in the opposite direction. It's about time. It can't happen soon enough in our country.
" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."
"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
#4 Tony Abbott wins as new Australian PM.SonnabendGuest09-07-2013, 10:20 PM
TONY Abbott stormed to victory as former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd relinquished the top job and the Labor leadership.Pledging he would not let voters down, Mr Abbott vowed to govern for all Australians.
"From today I declare that Australia is under new management and open for business," he said. "We will not leave anyone behind." Victorians punished Labor, with many seats seeing big swings of between 6 and 8 per cent against the party.The Coalition last night had gained three seats - Deakin and La Trobe, in the eastern suburbs, and Corangamite in the southwest. But, defying predictions of a Labor wipeout, the ALP lost fewer seats than expected - providing some solace to demoralised Labor MPs. But the Coalition will govern in the 150-seat House of Representatives with a majority of 85 seats or more.
Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to announce that sane, capable and responsible leadership has been restored to our nation.
09-08-2013, 10:00 AMMay the FORCE be with you!
09-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Merged with prior thread. Congrats to Abbott and the conservatives. The campaign slogan of "Heeeeeeeeeyyyyy Abbott!" didn't hurt.
09-08-2013, 05:40 PM
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
Glad to see Abbott take over as the PM. The Ranga and Rudd were about as bad for the country as you could get. Gilliard always seemed to wait a couple weeks after 44 did something and copied him.
I know my friends in the ADF are happy over the results.
09-08-2013, 06:14 PM
What I can't believe is that you are forced to Vote in Australia or be fined and or imprisoned. What's up with that?We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
09-09-2013, 03:10 AM
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
And honestly I can't say I blame them.
I'm not advocating for forced voting but you'd think more people would turn out for such an important event. Instead we get 40% of those eligible in any election cycle determining the President for the other 60%.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|