Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Conservative leader Abbott sweeps into power in Australian elections 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    G'Day!!!

REUTERS By Rob Taylor and James Grubel | Reuters – 3 hours ago

SYDNEY/CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australia's conservative leader Tony Abbott swept into office in national elections on Saturday as voters punished the outgoing Labor government for six years of turbulent rule and for failing to maximize the benefits of a now fading mining boom.

Abbott, a former boxer, Rhodes scholar and trainee priest, promised to restore political stability, cut taxes and crack down on asylum seekers arriving by boat.

"From today I declare that Australia is under new management and Australia is once more open for business," Abbott told jubilant supporters in Sydney.

It was frustration with Labor's leadership turmoil that cost the government dearly at the polls.

May the FORCE be with you!

Abbott's a good man, but I've never seen him go solo. Hopefully, Lou Costello will have a job in the cabinet. I know that Who's going to be the Minister of Defense, What's the Foreign Minister and I Don't Know is the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Perhaps the pendulum is starting to swing in the opposite direction. It's about time. It can't happen soon enough in our country.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

4. #4 Tony Abbott wins as new Australian PM. 
    Sonnabend
    http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226714507416

TONY Abbott stormed to victory as former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd relinquished the top job and the Labor leadership.Pledging he would not let voters down, Mr Abbott vowed to govern for all Australians.
    "From today I declare that Australia is under new management and open for business," he said. "We will not leave anyone behind." Victorians punished Labor, with many seats seeing big swings of between 6 and 8 per cent against the party.The Coalition last night had gained three seats - Deakin and La Trobe, in the eastern suburbs, and Corangamite in the southwest. But, defying predictions of a Labor wipeout, the ALP lost fewer seats than expected - providing some solace to demoralised Labor MPs. But the Coalition will govern in the 150-seat House of Representatives with a majority of 85 seats or more.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to announce that sane, capable and responsible leadership has been restored to our nation.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!

Merged with prior thread. Congrats to Abbott and the conservatives. The campaign slogan of "Heeeeeeeeeyyyyy Abbott!" didn't hurt.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Glad to see Abbott take over as the PM. The Ranga and Rudd were about as bad for the country as you could get. Gilliard always seemed to wait a couple weeks after 44 did something and copied him.

I know my friends in the ADF are happy over the results.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

What I can't believe is that you are forced to Vote in Australia or be fined and or imprisoned. What's up with that?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    What I can't believe is that you are forced to Vote in Australia or be fined and or imprisoned. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    National law. Everyone of voting age must cast a ballot. My ADF friends were shocked at the turn out rates for our Presidential elections.

And honestly I can't say I blame them.

I'm not advocating for forced voting but you'd think more people would turn out for such an important event. Instead we get 40% of those eligible in any election cycle determining the President for the other 60%.

smh.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.