Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Have you read any Arthur Machen? He wrote "The Great God Pan", among others. He influenced both James (his direct contemporary) and Lovecraft.
    Oh, yes. "The Great God Pan" is why I never personally cut my own lawn. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Have you read any Arthur Machen? He wrote "The Great God Pan", among others. He influenced both James (his direct contemporary) and Lovecraft.
    Actually, it is funny you brought up Machen...because I made a mistake...I don't own any MR James books...I have Machen and Algernon Blackwood, along with Bierce.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    If I may add one author here, Clive Barker. To me he is already a classic. The Books of Blood series is excellent. Also his novels "The Great and Secret Show" and "Everville" are my favorites by him. The two novels are connected by characters that appear in each and a underlying subplot but each can be read as stand alones.
    I agree with you, FG. I would also add the early works of Stephen King to that list of "modern classics" but I purposefully paid homage to the originators of horror fiction, the old grandmasters, if you will. I remember picking up Barker's The Inhuman Condition in the late 80's after seeing the quote by King on the front cover. I was blown away. Excellent choice!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    If I may add one author here, Clive Barker. To me he is already a classic. The Books of Blood series is excellent. Also his novels "The Great and Secret Show" and "Everville" are my favorites by him. The two novels are connected by characters that appear in each and a underlying subplot but each can be read as stand alones.
    Because I will have plenty of material to discuss in the weeks ahead, I will say my favorite Clive Barker story is his novella, Cabal.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Actually, it is funny you brought up Machen...because I made a mistake...I don't own any MR James books...I have Machen and Algernon Blackwood, along with Bierce.
    Well, you can begin to rectify THAT bibliographic mistake with the short story in the link! ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken