cherokeeprogressive (16,299 posts)

I'm going camping tomorrow. I've been waiting for this weekend for six months. Do you like to camp?

The camping spot...

A "group camp" in a secluded part of the San Bernardino National Forest in So. Cal. The nearest paved road is 7 miles away. No electricity, no water, just a septic tank toilet surrounded by four walls with a door. 7200 feet above sea level. Surrounded by pine trees. Lots of shade. Room for 40 people; tents only. No other campers, just us. After the longest monsoon season I can remember in my 7 years in the mountains, the dust has been rinsed off the trees, and everything is fresh...

Who's going?

A good part of the ol' High School Gang (I'm 52) and some other friends. About 35 people. Husbands, Wives, Brothers, Sisters, NO KIDS. We'll be graced this time by one two of our favorite friends... an Irishman married to a Jamaican woman. She teases him mercilessly about being the "whitest man she's ever known". Says he glows in the dark, he's so white (figuratively, not literally). She cooks like no one's business and makes the best jerk chicken I've ever tasted. Yeah, it's what's for dinner Saturday night. I could listen to the two of them talk for the rest of my life and not be bored...

I've taken the day off tomorrow and my Wife and I will be the first people there. We'll have things ready when people start showing up in the late afternoon. It's going to be one of those weekends where lifelong friends defile themselves with good tequila, whiskey, cerveza, cannabis, and the flesh of dead beasts.

Many a toast will be raised. We will spend lots of time telling each other how much we've missed and been missed. We'll honor those who are no longer with us (4). Nary a bad word will be spoken. One of the very best things is that there will be NO POLITICS of any kind. There never are. There never have been. There is no cell phone reception where we're going, so no text messages either. I cannot think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Special bonus...

My Sister's BFF's Son just finished his Bachelor's at UCLA; a music degree. Hearing him play the acoustic guitar brings tears to my eyes. He played (and sang) Wish You Were Here at my 40th birthday party when he was 13. I cried. It wasn't better than the original, but it was more special. Now he's into The Blues. He's bringing his Fiancé. They're leaving for a 6 month trip to Europe next week. I don't know Her, but am told the two of them make the most beautiful music together and will soon be self-producing.

Yeah, I'm thinking my weekend is going to suck, and I'll be wishing I could be here insulting and being insulted... um...

I'll miss you guys!

I should add that for US, it's only a 15 mile drive. Life is good this weekend.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018479024