1. #1 DUmmies discuss roughing it. 
    cherokeeprogressive (16,299 posts)

I'm going camping tomorrow. I've been waiting for this weekend for six months. Do you like to camp?

The camping spot...

A "group camp" in a secluded part of the San Bernardino National Forest in So. Cal. The nearest paved road is 7 miles away. No electricity, no water, just a septic tank toilet surrounded by four walls with a door. 7200 feet above sea level. Surrounded by pine trees. Lots of shade. Room for 40 people; tents only. No other campers, just us. After the longest monsoon season I can remember in my 7 years in the mountains, the dust has been rinsed off the trees, and everything is fresh...

Who's going?

A good part of the ol' High School Gang (I'm 52) and some other friends. About 35 people. Husbands, Wives, Brothers, Sisters, NO KIDS. We'll be graced this time by one two of our favorite friends... an Irishman married to a Jamaican woman. She teases him mercilessly about being the "whitest man she's ever known". Says he glows in the dark, he's so white (figuratively, not literally). She cooks like no one's business and makes the best jerk chicken I've ever tasted. Yeah, it's what's for dinner Saturday night. I could listen to the two of them talk for the rest of my life and not be bored...

I've taken the day off tomorrow and my Wife and I will be the first people there. We'll have things ready when people start showing up in the late afternoon. It's going to be one of those weekends where lifelong friends defile themselves with good tequila, whiskey, cerveza, cannabis, and the flesh of dead beasts.

Many a toast will be raised. We will spend lots of time telling each other how much we've missed and been missed. We'll honor those who are no longer with us (4). Nary a bad word will be spoken. One of the very best things is that there will be NO POLITICS of any kind. There never are. There never have been. There is no cell phone reception where we're going, so no text messages either. I cannot think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Special bonus...

My Sister's BFF's Son just finished his Bachelor's at UCLA; a music degree. Hearing him play the acoustic guitar brings tears to my eyes. He played (and sang) Wish You Were Here at my 40th birthday party when he was 13. I cried. It wasn't better than the original, but it was more special. Now he's into The Blues. He's bringing his Fiancé. They're leaving for a 6 month trip to Europe next week. I don't know Her, but am told the two of them make the most beautiful music together and will soon be self-producing.

Yeah, I'm thinking my weekend is going to suck, and I'll be wishing I could be here insulting and being insulted... um...

I'll miss you guys!

I should add that for US, it's only a 15 mile drive. Life is good this weekend.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018479024

A few replies....

Fortinbras Armstrong (1,075 posts)

17. If God had intended us to camp out, he never would have given us the luxury hotel

No, I do not like camping

Jamaal510 (3,833 posts)

10. I went camping

Last edited Fri Sep 13, 2013, 02:37 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

for the 1st time just a couple of weeks ago, on Labor Day weekend. At Humboldt State, they allow 1st-year transfer students and freshmen to go on summer outdoor trips as a way to get acquainted with the area and to meet new people. So I went on a trip with 10 other people to Marble Mountains for about 3 days. The hike was refreshing, and it was fun chatting with everyone and swapping stories and such. I was surprised that we didn't see any bears or mountain lions, or any other wild animals. The only parts I didn't like about the trip were getting blisters on both of my feet (the hike was 5 miles both ways), and having no pillow or anything to support my back when I slept in a tent. Right now, I am still recovering from a blister on my right heel, but at least it has stopped hurting.

Overall, it was nice to get away from all my concerns and from technology for a few days. It definitely made me appreciate taking a nice, warm shower, and sleeping in my own bed once I got back to my apartment, though! I didn't smell that bad, but my clothes were filthy and my socks and shoes were covered in mud.

Star Member cherokeeprogressive (16,299 posts)

11. I'm sorry you had a bad experience...

I'm guessing you're a lot younger than I am. I'm 52. I don't need a pillow, or a support for my back when I sleep. My backpack can suffice as my pillow, and I sleep on my side so I don't need a support. If I'm gone for three days, I take underwear and socks for five. Walking five miles in three days doesn't sound like much of a problem.

On the other side, the hot shower and sleeping in your own soft bed at the end are definite rewards that make the "sacrifice" of camping almost worth it

Sissy DUmmies! They wouldn't last an hour in some of the hunting / camping / drinking trips I've been on! I'm surprised they didn't mention crapping in the woods!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Sissy DUmmies! They wouldn't last an hour in some of the hunting / camping / drinking trips I've been on! I'm surprised they didn't mention crapping in the woods!
    The thread is getting longer at the dump, it might come up!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    They'll be fighting about oBAMA, George W Bush, and the BFEE 10 min. after the 1st bong hit...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    They'll be fighting about oBAMA, George W Bush, and the BFEE 10 min. after the 1st bong hit...
    I think they might be at a nudist colony!

Liberals and camping go together about as well as pogo sticks and low ceilings.

Oh my!

It's going to be one of those weekends where lifelong friends defile themselves with good tequila, whiskey, cerveza, cannabis, and the flesh of dead beasts.
    No camping trip would be complete without cannabis! Sad!

Plus "no children" I think he said. That was the fun part of going camping when our son was young. We were living in the San Fernando Valley at the time and went camping up in Carpinteria. We took 2 tents, one for us, and one for our son and any friends he wanted to bring along.

It was fun ... cooking outside, no amenities whatsoever, toasting wieners and marshmallows on straightened out wire hangars, etc., even brushing our teeth using water in a cup.

I loved it. Then again, I like to have it all or nothing at all. I also love staying in nifty hotels with all the trimmings, room service and the plush luxurious robes to lounge around in. (most-happy-smile!)
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 09-14-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Oh my!

No camping trip would be complete without cannabis! Sad!