1. #1 Mayor Gray vetoes ‘living wage’ bill aimed at Wal-Mart, setting up decisive council v 
    District Mayor Vincent C. Gray vetoed legislation Thursday that would force the city’s largest retailers to pay a super-minimum wage to their workers, ending two months of uncertainty over the controversial bill’s fate and setting up a decisive override vote at the D.C. Council as early as Tuesday.

The debate over the bill, the Large Retailer Accountability Act, has polarized local leaders while garnering national attention and putting focus on the low wages many retail chains pay their workers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...125_story.html

I bet this will tick off some DUers. lol. As much as I could like people to make a better wage, the reality is that it would cut jobs (right or wrong). I do also have concerns about the government stepping in too much. If they step in now, then what about the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    District Mayor Vincent C. Gray vetoed legislation Thursday that would force the city’s largest retailers to pay a super-minimum wage to their workers, ending two months of uncertainty over the controversial bill’s fate and setting up a decisive override vote at the D.C. Council as early as Tuesday.

The debate over the bill, the Large Retailer Accountability Act, has polarized local leaders while garnering national attention and putting focus on the low wages many retail chains pay their workers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...125_story.html

I bet this will tick off some DUers. lol. As much as I could like people to make a better wage, the reality is that it would cut jobs (right or wrong). I do also have concerns about the government stepping in too much. If they step in now, then what about the future?
    In the future, it will only be worse. Economists speak of the "ratchet effect" of entitlements, in which an entitlement becomes the baseline for furture spending, and reform consists of only adjusting it around the edges. A minimum wage is simply a tax on business owners, which doesn't pass through the hands of the IRS before it is redistributed to its end recipient. Because the government doesn't actually handle the money, we tend to think of these things as mandates, rather than taxes, but it still constitutes a forced transfer of wealth.

And, yes, I'm sure that quite a few DUers' heads are exploding over this.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

There are so many problems with this kind of intervention in the market that it's a veritable salad bar of trouble. For starters, the whole idea of what's "Large" is subject to revision by future legislation at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    There are so many problems with this kind of intervention in the market that it's a veritable salad bar of trouble. For starters, the whole idea of what's "Large" is subject to revision by future legislation at any time.
    "Large" is any retailer that didn't cough up a campaign contribution. Look at the exemptions for Obamacare, which are applied only to cronies of the administration. It's shakedown politics.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    "Large" is any retailer that didn't cough up a campaign contribution. Look at the exemptions for Obamacare, which are applied only to cronies of the administration. It's shakedown politics.
    Well, true, I was talking about even under an Administration that follows the law...with the Obamites, they don't even need to change the legislation to start carving our 'interpretations,' 'waivers,' 'exceptions,' and decisions to just not pursue cases against 'certain parties.'

Fabulous Poster
    Walmart doesn't care if the NATIONAL minwage is raised... because everyone everywhere has to pay it. But they aren't going to sit still for a local minwage aimed at bigboxes inside DC when anyone in DC who has a car already does his shopping outside the district line ,... except for liquor of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Walmart doesn't care if the NATIONAL minwage is raised... because everyone everywhere has to pay it. But they aren't going to sit still for a local minwage aimed at bigboxes inside DC when anyone in DC who has a car already does his shopping outside the district line ,... except for liquor of course.
    Yeah, we all knew that. Hence the discussion of 'Large' and differential treatment of some businesses over others.

no less than $12.50 an hour in combined wages and benefits
    If the employee had a decent benefit plan with insurance, holiday pay and vacation their hourly rate still might only be about $9 an hour or less. Benefits are expensive! My employer contributes over $7,000 a year for my health insurance and I am happily single without any dependents.

If the wage law passed Wal Mart would not of started to build the first two of six new stores in DC. This tweet sums it up:

Vincent C. Gray ✔ @mayorvincegray

This bill did not represent a choice between low-wage jobs and better jobs; it represented a choice between jobs and no jobs.

9:14 AM - 12 Sep 2013

It's really not all that difficult for someone to show up at work every day, even at a place like Wal Mart, work hard, apply themselves, and find themselves quickly moving up the ladder into a wage they can deal with. It won't happen over night, but it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Yeah, we all knew that. Hence the discussion of 'Large' and differential treatment of some businesses over others.
    This is true, although WalMart might be concerned about increased costs across the US if it meant that the dollar bought less from the various exporters who actually make much of their stuff. Raising the minwage nationwide will devalue the dollar and drive up the costs of imported goods.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    If the employee had a decent benefit plan with insurance, holiday pay and vacation their hourly rate still might only be about $9 an hour or less. Benefits are expensive! My employer contributes over $7,000 a year for my health insurance and I am happily single without any dependents.

If the wage law passed Wal Mart would not of started to build the first two of six new stores in DC. This tweet sums it up:

It's really not all that difficult for someone to show up at work every day, even at a place like Wal Mart, work hard, apply themselves, and find themselves quickly moving up the ladder into a wage they can deal with. It won't happen over night, but it will happen.
    A liberal politician whose policies have given one worker a raise at the expense of two workers who are now unemployed can count on the first worker's gratitude and the other workers' anger at the employer to keep him in office. That liberal is indifferent to things like upward mobility.
    --Odysseus