Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Americans in 'Poverty' Have TVs, VCRs, Cell Phones, A/C ... 

Americans in 'Poverty' Have TVs, VCRs, Cell Phones, Air Conditioning

American poverty just ain’t what it used to be. A new report from the Census Bureau found that 80.9% of households considered poverty stricken have cell phones along with their landline phones, and 58.2% have computers. 96.1% of those in “poverty” have televisions, and 83% have some sort of DVR.

The percentage owning refrigerators? 97.8%

Gas or electric stoves? 96.6%.

Microwaves? 93.2%

Air conditioning? Over 83%.

Washer? 68.7%

Dryer? 65.3%

People still don’t mind washing dishes, apparently; only 44.9% surveyed had a dishwasher.

Breitbart.com

The poor have everything. They're not poor, they're on paid vacation. Paid for by people who work and pay taxes. Its the working people who are just getting by.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Those bastards! Lucky duckies. Hell, I don't have a VCR!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Don't be an ass; it's a serious topic for discussion. When we are constantly fed BS about poverty stats and "food insecurity" and internet assholes with a sociology class under their belt tell me that disparity plus the knowledge of it is the excuse for crime... then the definition of poverty needs to be discussed.

If poverty is measured by the nonessentials, then most people my age were poor as children. If poverty is defined by lacking an essential (like food, electricity, indoor plumbing) then few of us were poor. Skip back two more generations and you can't define poverty by electricity or indoor plumbing. People of my parents' generation like to go on about how hard times were during the Great Depression. I don't doubt that they were, but having a roof over your head, enough coal to heat your house, and a bucket of vegetables, chicken and dumplings on the stove beats the pure hell out of The Grapes Of Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Don't be an ass; it's a serious topic for discussion.
    Then start a serious discussion. The pathological obsession with the notion that the poor in the United States are not deprived enough to suit you, to the point of intimating that anyone who has the ability to preserve food can't possibly be poor, is ripe for satire. So save the affected umbrage, Nova. The low foreheads may buy it but I don't.

Then start a serious discussion. The pathological obsession with the notion that the poor in the United States are not deprived enough to suit you, to the point of intimating that anyone who has the ability to preserve food can't possibly be poor, is ripe for satire. So save the affected umbrage, Nova. The low foreheads may buy it but I don't.
    It sounds to me like Nova is being serious. He makes a valid point, which is that the definition of poverty is elastic, and can encompass many conditions, from actual deprivation of necessities to inconvenience in acquiring items that many people consider luxuries. This wouldn't be an issue if we weren't being ordered to pay for it by people who consider themselves superior to the "low foreheads" (i.e., people who think themselves superior but rarely demonstrate it in any convincing way). At what point does someone else's lack of a given commodity give third parties the authority to compel me to provide it to them?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post

People still don’t mind washing dishes, apparently; only 44.9% surveyed had a dishwasher.
    Most likely because the approx. 55 percent that didn't ...

Had no need of one! They probably buy paper plates, plastic cups, and frozen dinners all on the taxpayers dime! Why spend valuable time and energy away from their couches watching TV, playing electronic games etc.?

Mr. ABC sends a check every year to our local food bank, and believe me the money is well spent on basic non-perishables ... nothing exotic nor frivolous.

Bet the folks that are capable of working and are simply too damned lazy to get off their behinds and look for a job, wouldn't even be interested in picking up anything that is offered at the place!!!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Aside from the ideological arguments that can be made, this picture is representative of how the whole country would/ will look if the far left (Statists) continue their influence at all levers of power as they currently do. Except of course, for the ruling class.

What a shockingly bad time in history we are 'served' by the like of Boehner, McConnell, McCarthy, Canter, McCain and the like who are this regimes 'shoe shine' boys. What an absolute disgrace and a stain on the party that used to represent its constituents, not running a popularity contest to see who is most luved by the dem media and invited to the most cocktail party's in the DC swamp.

But of course, now that we have a democrat in the White House ... there are NO homeless people, NO ONE is hungry and there is NO poverty. 'O'h ... and there are NO JOBS either ...

Neither do I because VCR's don't exist anymore, pretty much. However, I see "poor" people have stuff I don't have and I make $70K a year. There's nothing like watching someone pay for groceries with food stamps only to have them drive away a Cadillac Escalade but you probably don't have a problem with that.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

It is a serious discussion. We're constantly being brow beaten about how more and more people are living in poverty when these so called poor have luxuries that people in parts of the world who are really poor would consider insane. Hell, and I bring this up a lot, most obese people consider themselves poor. Most people in this country have no idea what being poor really means. You can't sit there and tell me how destitute you are while talking on your iPhone 5. Don't tell me how bad you have it while standing in line waiting to be one of the first to get the new XBOX One. Don't lecture me on how it's my duty to surrender what I earn to help you while you're wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and holding a Coach handbag(yes, this, indeed happened to me). If you are indeed starving, I have no problem helping you out. My wife and I donate to a local food bank regularly but if you're starving but own the latest Smartphone, you'll get no sympathy from me.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.