I think this is it. Katie (15) is a norwegian elkhound, who I adopted 15 years ago when she was a few weeks old. About two weeks ago, she started having accidents (pee) in the house while I was at work. Last week, she stopped eating her dry food. I switched her to canned food, which she ate enthusiastically for a few days. Now, she won't eat anything but snausages and bologna. It's weird-she acts hungry, and pushes the bowl with her nose, but won't eat anything out of it. She's drinking a lot of water over the past two days. She had a good day Friday, but after I gave her a bath on Saturday (something I do every other week in the summer), she stopped eating.

I took her to the vet on Thursday, when she was still eating canned food. The vet took some blood and is supposed to call me back. She was most concerned about Katie's arthritis and weight loss, but I think there is something else going on. I don't think it's going to be good news.

I know I've been really blessed to have her for 15 years, but I am so sad about this. She is the best dog I've ever had.

I will adopt another puppy, probably from the Benton Harbor HS shelter, as they have puppies and still charge less than $100 to adopt. All the shelters around here now charge at least $275.