Thread: My dog is sick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My dog is sick 
    I think this is it. Katie (15) is a norwegian elkhound, who I adopted 15 years ago when she was a few weeks old. About two weeks ago, she started having accidents (pee) in the house while I was at work. Last week, she stopped eating her dry food. I switched her to canned food, which she ate enthusiastically for a few days. Now, she won't eat anything but snausages and bologna. It's weird-she acts hungry, and pushes the bowl with her nose, but won't eat anything out of it. She's drinking a lot of water over the past two days. She had a good day Friday, but after I gave her a bath on Saturday (something I do every other week in the summer), she stopped eating.

I took her to the vet on Thursday, when she was still eating canned food. The vet took some blood and is supposed to call me back. She was most concerned about Katie's arthritis and weight loss, but I think there is something else going on. I don't think it's going to be good news.

I know I've been really blessed to have her for 15 years, but I am so sad about this. She is the best dog I've ever had.

I will adopt another puppy, probably from the Benton Harbor HS shelter, as they have puppies and still charge less than $100 to adopt. All the shelters around here now charge at least $275.

Update: They called me back and her kidney enzymes are messed up. I have to take her to a full service vet at 1. I might not be online for the next few days, as I have training on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Fabulous Poster
    Sorry your pup isn't feeling well. Hopefully it's just an infection and can be treated.

Prayers to your pup Noon.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Update: They called me back and her kidney enzymes are messed up. I have to take her to a full service vet at 1. I might not be online for the next few days, as I have training on Tuesday and Wednesday.
    I was going to say the incontinence can go on for quite some time, they have pills they can give them that will help them have far less mistakes so you owe it to yourself to ask for those. I have been through this a number of times and though we love the dogs it can be a difficult mess to put up with.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Sorry to hear the bad news about your pooch noonie. Heres hoping for a full recovery.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think this is it. Katie (15) is a norwegian elkhound, who I adopted 15 years ago when she was a few weeks old. About two weeks ago, she started having accidents (pee) in the house while I was at work. Last week, she stopped eating her dry food. I switched her to canned food, which she ate enthusiastically for a few days. Now, she won't eat anything but snausages and bologna. It's weird-she acts hungry, and pushes the bowl with her nose, but won't eat anything out of it. She's drinking a lot of water over the past two days. She had a good day Friday, but after I gave her a bath on Saturday (something I do every other week in the summer), she stopped eating.

I took her to the vet on Thursday, when she was still eating canned food. The vet took some blood and is supposed to call me back. She was most concerned about Katie's arthritis and weight loss, but I think there is something else going on. I don't think it's going to be good news.

I know I've been really blessed to have her for 15 years, but I am so sad about this. She is the best dog I've ever had.

I will adopt another puppy, probably from the Benton Harbor HS shelter, as they have puppies and still charge less than $100 to adopt. All the shelters around here now charge at least $275.
    I know we don't agree on most things but I think we agree that dogs are some of the best friends we can have, I hope if she passes it will be painless(that is if she doesn't get better) and you find a new best friend :)
    Last edited by Bailey; 09-16-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Sincerely hope that all goes well with Katie, and if not, that you cherish her memory for the rest of your days.

Dogs are family. Losing one is no easier than losing a relative.
    U.S. Army, Retired

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hope your pupper is ok noonie!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

My female elkie, Buschy, lived to 15. Hope it's something that can be treated with meds. Let us know how she's doing.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW