Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    The travelers checks would of been replaced and no good to the person finding them. Anyone trying to use one might find themselves arrested. I would of turned in the backpack. It would be easy to identify the owner thanks to the passport.
    Likewise. After finding the cash, the checks, and the passport(s), there's too much there to fool around with.

Safest approach is just to turn it in. Let the cops sort it out and even if the cops steal it, ain't none of my bidness.

Of course, a nice reward would not be turned down.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I would return it without thinking twice and not expecting a reward.
    ^this
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Nice thoughts NJ and AA.

12 years ago, I would have done the same thing, as would any honest person ...

Today, no way would I even touch it!

I would have notified the police and had them come to pick it up, in case the blinking thing was booby-trapped! As someone else wrote in here earlier on.

Very sad commentary on how things are these days, but to ignore the reality of it, is extremely unwise, to say the least.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

I would probably think it was drug money, so I would have driven it to the nearest police station.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I would probably think it was drug money, so I would have driven it to the nearest police station.
    That's what I would have done. That ensures that it will get back to the person who lost it and protects you from any liability for loss.

A few months ago, my oldest daughter found a ring at the shopette on post and I explained to her that it had to be turned in. The shopette turned it in to the MPs, and we haven't heard anything about it since, but she knows that she did the right thing.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    I think that the divide here is not exactly one of honesty versus dishonesty. That would simply be whether you returned the legal possession of another to him upon finding it. There are more scenarios here than the single right v wrong.

If you find a backpack with $100K in it and turn it over to the police will you get to keep it if no one claims it? I would say that the chances are slim. With that kind of cash, and the alleged "fact" that all US currency has traces of cocaine in it, it wouldn't surprise me if the police were to decide that it was to be seized and added to their SWAT slush fund or something. That's not in the original scenario.

I don't trust the police with the backpack full of money. If someone in legal possession of the money lost it, we're going to hear about it. Some tearful family member will go on Baynews9 and tell us about how that money was for an organ transplant or little Vernicia's college fund. If no one goes looking for a backpack full of money, then you might as well be the one who gets to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think that the divide here is not exactly one of honesty versus dishonesty. That would simply be whether you returned the legal possession of another to him upon finding it. There are more scenarios here than the single right v wrong.

If you find a backpack with $100K in it and turn it over to the police will you get to keep it if no one claims it? I would say that the chances are slim. With that kind of cash, and the alleged "fact" that all US currency has traces of cocaine in it, it wouldn't surprise me if the police were to decide that it was to be seized and added to their SWAT slush fund or something. That's not in the original scenario.

I don't trust the police with the backpack full of money. If someone in legal possession of the money lost it, we're going to hear about it. Some tearful family member will go on Baynews9 and tell us about how that money was for an organ transplant or little Vernicia's college fund. If no one goes looking for a backpack full of money, then you might as well be the one who gets to keep it.
    That's a rather cynical, but real view on things, and I have no fundamental argument with it.

I would rather separate myself from that kind of money, knowing that:

1. I didn't get between it and the mob.
    2. I didn't get between it and the cops.
    3. I did the next right thing by reporting it.

By removing myself from things and events that I cannot control, I just might live to see that they've actually found the rotten corpse of Jimmy Hoffa buried under a tree in Walled Lake, Michigan.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Here's a real life scenario: Several years ago, acting on a tip from a snitch, an officer in our special needs unit(PC term for the nut house) searched a cell and found $4,000 in cash in an inmates locked locker(we have skeleton keys to their locks). Upon searching the inmate himself, another $1,000 was found. Inmates are not allowed any cash. Come to find out that the inmate was being given cash from a psych to kill her husband. He was sending the cash home in letters home(outgoing mail is only searched on a few high profile inmates. All other outgoing mail goes out undisturbed). He said that if his cell was searched a few days before, they would have found $20,000. Now this presents a moral dilemma. If doing a random cell search, which we are required to do 3 times a day, and someone came across this money, one would think long and hard about turning all of the money over because that's something an inmate wouldn't report stolen. In this instance, the tip from the snitch was given to internal affairs so you'd better turn it over or the money could have been planted by S.I.D.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.