Talk about cutting of one's nose to spite one's face
Sub Shop Employees “Fight For 15″ Strike Their Employer, Shop Forced To Close, Throwing Them Out Of Work
So let me get this straight, Worker’s Organizing Committee of Chicago convinces the employees of Snarf’s Sub Shop to go on strike for higher wages, closing the business, and the business, which already wasn’t doing well, is now forced to close...
Via Daily Mail:
- Staff at Snarf's Sub Shop in River North received the bad news on Sunday night in a group email
- They were notified the drastic action was effective immediately
- The company blamed 'increased competition and losses' for the firings
- Director of operations Doug Besant said in the email the restaurant will likely close for a month as they reconcept the business into a burger joint
- It comes less than a month after Snarf's workers rallied for higher wages
...Furious members of the Worker's Organizing Committee of Chicago gathered outside the store Monday morning demanding severance pay and re-employment for the fired staff.
Communications director Deivid Rojas told the website: 'Three days before Christmas and not even a call. It's not fair that management and the corporation is treating (employees) this way.'
Preston added that fired staff will be allowed to reapply for their jobs when the restaurant reopens in the new year.