Thread: Any Good Conservative Books to Recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Any Good Conservative Books to Recommend? 
    I decided to ask for some help on some good reading material, Lord knows I've got a lot of free time on my hands out here when I'm not at work or the gym. I've been ordering books like crazy off of Amazon, so far I've already finished:

The Revolution, Ron Paul
    The Conscience of a Conservative written by my hero, Mr. Barry M. Goldwater
    Liberal Fascism, Jonah Goldberg
    Liberalism is a Mental Disorder, Dr. Michael Savage
    An Inconvenient Book, Glenn Beck
    Black Rednecks & White Liberals, Thomas Sowell

I'm almost through Economic Facts and Fallacies by Sowell, after that I'm going to read Pure Goldwater by John Dean & Barry Goldwater Jr.

Does anyone have some good suggestions on books I should take a look at? I've been meaning to pick up some of William F. Buckley's work, I actually had some of his fiction sent to me that I'm going to read after Pure Goldwater. I also plan to finally finish The Fountainhead and Atlass Shrugged.

What ya'll got?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

You've read some very good litterature, and yes, I strongly encourage you to read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. If you're interested in the litterature that inspired our Founding Fathers and fueled the American Revolution, I also recommend Adam Smith's "The Wealth of Nations", John Locke's "Second Treatise on Civil Government", and Thomas Paine's "Common Sense, the Rights of Man, the Age of Reason". Other recommendations are F.A. Hayek's "The Constitution of Liberty", Frederic Bastiat's "The Law", Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose", and last but certainly not least, Andrew Bernstein's "The Capitalist Manifesto".

If you're interested in books on the war against Islamofascism, I recommend those by the author Daniel Pipes. "Militant Islam Reaches America"is especially good. http://www.danielpipes.org/books.php

For some lighter reading I recommend John Stossel's "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel--Why Everything You Know Is Wrong" (though its more modern libertarian than conservative).
    Last edited by IanMartins; 09-22-2008 at 05:42 AM.

One conservative book that I'd recommend (Which was actually recommended to me by someone else on this board a couple months ago) is 'Cry Wolf,' by Paul Lake. It is a political fable with a premise quite similar to George Orwell's 'Animal Farm'; However, unlike 'Animal Farm,' 'Cry Wolf' is an allegory for the U.S. and the U.K., and the topics it criticizes are identity politics, society's obsession with political correctness, and especially the dangers of unregulated immigration. It can be a very disturbing book at times (Especially towards the end), but it really hits home a lot, and it's one that I think every conservative should read. It can be rather hard to find 'Cry Wolf' in a store since the book was independently published, your best bet is to either have a store special- order a copy for you (Which is what I did), or order it off Amazon.

Goldwater
    Anything by Ayn Rand gets at a lot of what some conservatives are about, Russell Kirk is a big name for the social conservatives, Thatcher is a good figure to read up on - probably one of the last "hard-core" conservatives to be in power. I read a Calvin Coolidge biography that was good too.

I really liked An Inconvient Book, good choice :)
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Thanks everyone, I'm really liking those suggestions. I've been wanting to dive into Smith, Hayek and Friedman for a while now...reading Sowell on Economics really has gotten me interested in learning so much more.

I'm really into Barry Goldwater, know of any other books about him? I'm ordering William F. Buckley's book on him already but I want to see if there's anything else you know of. Outside of the Founding Fathers and Abraham Lincoln he's my favorite US politican of all time.

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'm really liking those suggestions. I've been wanting to dive into Smith, Hayek and Friedman for a while now...reading Sowell on Economics really has gotten me interested in learning so much more.

I'm really into Barry Goldwater, know of any other books about him? I'm ordering William F. Buckley's book on him already but I want to see if there's anything else you know of. Outside of the Founding Fathers and Abraham Lincoln he's my favorite US politican of all time.

Sowell is VERY good. I would also recommend "Free to Choose" by Milton and Rose Friedman.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post

This documentary, "Goldwater on Goldwater", might be of interest to you:
    http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/mrconservative/

There's also this book, "Pure Goldwater":
    http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Goldwater.../dp/1403977410

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    One conservative book that I'd recommend (Which was actually recommended to me by someone else on this board a couple months ago) is 'Cry Wolf,' by Paul Lake. It is a political fable with a premise quite similar to George Orwell's 'Animal Farm'; However, unlike 'Animal Farm,' 'Cry Wolf' is an allegory for the U.S. and the U.K., and the topics it criticizes are identity politics, society's obsession with political correctness, and especially the dangers of unregulated immigration. It can be a very disturbing book at times (Especially towards the end), but it really hits home a lot, and it's one that I think every conservative should read. It can be rather hard to find 'Cry Wolf' in a store since the book was independently published, your best bet is to either have a store special- order a copy for you (Which is what I did), or order it off Amazon.
    I recommended it and I'm glad to recommend it again: Cry Wolf: A Political Fable by Paul Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMartins View Post
    This documentary, "Goldwater on Goldwater", might be of interest to you:
    http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/mrconservative/

There's also this book, "Pure Goldwater":
    http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Goldwater.../dp/1403977410
    Thanks for that Documentary heads up! I hadn't heard of that one. :D

"Pure Goldwater" was just recently added to my collection; I'm saving it for when I'm finished reading Sowell.