1. #1 U.S. Not Even In Top 15 World´s Freest Economies 

U.S. Not Even In Top 15 World´s Freest Economies

Economic Policy: We sing of America as the land of the free, but it's no longer the home of a free economy. We now rank 17th in economic freedom — a shameful situation.

The U.S. should have the freest economy in the world and constantly be encouraging others to catch up.

But that's not the case. In 2013, the United Arab Emirates, Mauritius and Bahrain are judged to have freer economies. "The Economic Freedom of the World: 2013 Annual Report," a joint effort of the Cato and Fraser institutes, even judges Chile, Jordan and Estonia to have freer economies.

It hasn't always been this way. >>>

How can this be? Why the steep downward slide? The answer starts and ends with a government that can't say "no" to its urge to expand its role forever. >>>

Worse, the U.S. is a true regulatory state, ranking 121st in credit market regulation and 33rd in business regulations.

The trouble with less-free economies is their universal poor performance. The freer a country's economy, the more prosperous its people. The less free, the more miserable.

Venezuela, Myanmar, Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe and Chad are the bottom five (least-free) nations, and it's no accident that all are wretched places to live. >>>

"Unless policies undermining economic freedom are reversed," say the report's authors, James Gwartney, Robert Lawson and Josh Hall, "the future annual growth of the U.S. economy will be half its historic average of 3%."

Reversal is the key, but it won't happen with the status quo in Washington. We have a White House and its Democratic allies in Congress that want greater government control over the economy.

For them, it's the America of hope and change. For the rest of us, it's an unnecessary decline into a second-rate existence.

More@Investors.com

Looks like the Caesar Obammu's Banana Republic policies has dropped us 7, 8 or 10 places since the Regimes inception. Welcome to 0bamas Utopia folks, as the slide hastens.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I don't know Janice. I believe that outfit is gauged to downplay anything good about the US. Not to belittle the little o's very negative influence influence at all but I think the Heritage Org is a bit both even in their measurements

Rankings

Freedom Heatmap
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Yes. But even a broke clock is right twice a day. Can anyone dispute that the ONLY thing growing in this economy is BIG government ...?

---------------------------------------

Government money makes DC the richest area in the country

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill might be ignoring the growing anger at the widening gap between the rich and poor in America because, frankly, they can’t tell. The greater Washington DC area is officially the wealthiest metropolitan region in the country.

With the Occupy Wall Street movement in its second month of demonstrations protesting the alliance between Washington and the financial sector, perhaps the wealthy are unaware of their growing concerns because everything seems fine and dandy along the banks of the Potomac. The average annual income in the DC area of 2010 was around $84,523, head-and-shoulders above the national median of $50,046.

By comparison, the annual household income in the San Jose, California area — home to Apple Computers, has dropped just below DC to $83,944. For 2010, they will take second place as wealthiest metro area; those in America’s technological hub of innovation and invention fall just a few pennies short of the politicians which give America such grand contributions as — well, anyway. . .

With politicians, lobbyists and federal contractors having their pockets lined handsomely in the District of Columbia, Washington has usurped Silicon Valley as the wealthiest region in America. >>>

“There’s a gap that’s isolating Washington from the reality of the rest of the country,” Prosperity Agenda Director Kevin Zeese tells Bloomberg News. “They just get more and more out of touch.” >>>

“As our middle class is disappearing, so is the health and the peace of our country,” Chelsea Elliott told RT recently. A Brooklyn, NY native, Elliott was in attendance at one of the early Occupy Wall Street events, protesting peacefully, only to be pepper-sprayed by an NYPD police officer.

“Our government is incredibly corrupt,” added Elliott. “They are being paid by the very people they are supposed to be regulating and everyone is suffering.”

More@RT.com

Again ... welcome to 0bamaville.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I do not disagree with the premise at all. The little o is a catastrophe that will have repercussions for years if not decades and may have put us into a downward spiral too steep to ever recover from. Even the Heritage org data shows the us falling in the financial freedom department.

I continue to be very cognizant of the variance available by skewing the questions - both favorable and unfavorable. It's just like a poll. What do you want it to say and write the questions to produce that result.

I may have to reconsider. Really would like to see each groups parameters.

-----------------------------

US Ranks 17 In Measure Of Economic Freedom

The United States has dropped 15 slots since 2000 in an annual ranking of economic freedom, from 2nd place to 17th place... The report gauges how supportive countries’ policies and institutions are of economic freedom using 42 variables in five general areas: government size, property rights and legal system, sound money, international trade freedoms, and regulation. This year’s report ranks 152 countries and territories on that basis, with Hong Kong, Singapore and New Zealand in the one, two and three slots. The Republic of the Congo, Myanmar and Venezuela occupy the very bottom slots.

The United States, at 17, ranks behind Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia.

One of the report authors, Joshua Hall, associate professor of economics at West Virginia University, explained to The Daily Caller that the annual report was inspired by an observation from economist Milton Friedman. “Friedman knew of no country that was economically free that was not also politically free, and he realized we really don’t have good measures of economic freedom and maybe we should develop those,” Hall said. According to the report, the freest countries experienced the most economic growth, with those living in the freest countries experiencing higher incomes and longer life expectancy.

Hall explained there are “lots of reasons” the United States has declined in the economic freedom ranking since 2000. Three areas he noted are an increase in government spending, expanding regulation and declining security of property rights and rule of law... “Personally, I don’t see much difference from my vantage point between the 17 and 18. But there’s a very large difference between the second [place] we used to be in and the 17th [place] we have today,” Hall said.

He added that Americans should view the report as a warning. “In the long run there is a very strong relationship between high levels of economic freedom and growth,” Hall said... I think I would view the report as kind of a canary in the coal mine. These are warning signs that we’re becoming over-regulated, we’re spending too much, we’re racking up too much debt. We need to understand that our current economic prosperity was dependent in large part on the government sticking to its core functions.”

Caroline May, The Daily Caller
    September 17, 2013

I'm not a big fan Wikipedia but here is some further distinction about the leading 5 purveyors of "economic freedom" indicators and how the classify things.

Here