Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The reason..people want to carry guns in public places...... is to shut up anyone... 
    link

DUer Gun Paranoia:

phantom power (22,994 posts)

The reason these people want to carry guns in public places like Starbucks is to shut up anyone...
    (Schultz) is missing the point, don't you think? The reason these people want to carry guns in public places like Starbucks is to shut up anyone who might think it's ok to have a political opinion with which they disagree --- and that includes the customers and the employees who don't want them to be in Starbucks carrying guns. I'm certainly not going to argue with people who are so committed they feel the need to ostentatiously wear a gun in public. It signals quite clearly that they are zealots on the subject and it's not safe to argue with armed zealots. And that's exactly what they mean to convey whether they admit it or not.

When I see people carrying guns, I leave the vicinity and that includes Starbucks. With all the accidental shootings in this country, it's not safe to be around these yahoos when they are carrying in any case. And those who are wearing their guns to make a political point are clearly trying to intimidate people. Who knows what they'll do? Starbucks is right to be alarmed.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2013/...anger-for.html
    Star Member The Magistrate (81,522 posts)
    1. True, Sir: The Motive Is Intimidation
    kardonb (498 posts)
    31. intimidation

and a severe case of low self-esteem ; therefore they need a gun , psychologically , to make themselves feel more important . Sad sad people .
    Star Member Hekate (22,767 posts)
    79. Intimidation it is, and my guess is they love every minute of it. Zimmerman is one of "those" ...

... and still packing heat wherever he goes.
    kentuck (68,948 posts)
    4. VIP - Very Important Post

Whether they intend to do so or not - and I think they do - they intimidate people in public places. There is no place for that in America.
    Demo_Chris (3,246 posts)
    10. I doubt it. I suspect for most it is a form of political speech...

I suspect most would WELCOME the chance to discuss the issue with you. Think of them as you would an evangelical crusader waving Biblical tracts
    Ohio Joe (12,921 posts)
    37. Someone going to get coffee wearing a loaded gun is... "polical speech"...

Yeah... Right...
    kentuck (68,948 posts)
    56. They ain't fooling nobody.

They are saying: "Look at me M***F***ers! I got a gun! You don't like it, you can kiss my ass! You had better be afraid. I will wrap myself in the snake flag."

That is the message they are sending. It has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment.
    Star Member hunter (17,275 posts)
    11. Intimidate 'em back. Learned that from my mom.

Get the fuck out of here or I'll nail your balls to the wall.

What are they going to do, shoot you?
    27. They're "threatening violence." They mean to be intimidating.

Intimidate 'em back.

Merely by carrying a gun for no good reason they've already demonstrated that violence and intimidation are the only thing they understand.

Fuck 'em.
    OldRedneck (139 posts)
    55. Call 911 . . .

Call 911 and breathlessly report "Man with a gun!!!" then hang up and don't answer when they call you back.

The place will soon be crawling with cops. They'll check him out and let him go (usually) but at least he'll be hassled.

If merchants discover that every time someone walks into their shop with a gun, the place will be crawling with cops, they'll put a stop to it . . . no business owner, manager, or franchisee wants his shop to be the place where the cops show up every day.
    Star Member The Straight Story (44,983 posts)
    57. Bigotry and shameful

If you are traveling and leave your gun in the car and someone steals it people complain.

If you remove it from the car and carry it, people call you names.

When I was a security officer I carried a gun and kept it with me (you can't leave those things on site, especially when that site is an abandoned apt complex). Stop for gas, coffee, etc, I would wear it just like I would when working (whether in uniform or not, and I liked to change before I left to regular clothes).

Yes - there are SOME who will wear them out just to show off, intimidate others, etc - but the landslide of bigotry and fear pushing around here is shameful, especially considering that the people we all have issues with represent less than a percent of gun owners.

I thought all the shooters were carrying concealed anyway? Why the hell would a criminal open carry around? Never mind, things don't have to make since, they just have to feel a certain way.

I understand, that is why if I see a muslim praying or getting on a plane I get freaked out and worried...oh wait, we have a name for those sorts of reactions.
    DonCoquixote (6,332 posts)
    62. Exactly

The right wing knows that their power is to either intimidate, or be outright violent. They cannot win on facts. They will take every inch to make sure they will always show up armed to events, especially now since the voting rights act was gutted,and stand your ground laws make it legal to shoot brown people.

Fabulous Poster
    Do these people even live on the same planet that we do? The only person I have ever seen in public trying to force a stranger to shut up... was one threatening to beat his victim, not shoot. I think someone needs to tell Phantom that Thelma and Louise was a movie, not a documentary.

11. Intimidate 'em back. Learned that from my mom.

Get the fuck out of here or I'll nail your balls to the wall.

What are they going to do, shoot you?
    I wouldn't try that at night on Chitcago's south side.............

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I've read those comments before. I am not afraid to tell somebody with a gun that I disagree with them unless they're the type of person I'm afraid of even without a gun.

Our desire for Liberals to just STFU has nothing to do with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I've read those comments before. I am not afraid to tell somebody with a gun that I disagree with them unless they're the type of person I'm afraid of even without a gun.
    I'd like to see you try. Go to Arizona. People can carry out in the open there. Go up to someone packing and tell them you disagree with them. Let me know what your reaction is after they're done laughing at you. Seriously, no one who has a CC permit is carrying to intimidate anyone. I mean, if some asshole came up to me and started cursing me out for carrying, no I won't shoot them. I might blacken their eyes but I won't shoot them. I have enough hand to hand training to put one of these assclowns on their ass and have them begging my forgiveness for their ill manners. I can do amazing things if I can get a hold of someone's index finger.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'd like to see you try. Go to Arizona. People can carry out in the open there. Go up to someone packing and tell them you disagree with them. Let me know what your reaction is after they're done laughing at you. Seriously, no one who has a CC permit is carrying to intimidate anyone. I mean, if some asshole came up to me and started cursing me out for carrying, no I won't shoot them. I might blacken their eyes but I won't shoot them. I have enough hand to hand training to put one of these assclowns on their ass and have them begging my forgiveness for their ill manners. I can do amazing things if I can get a hold of someone's index finger.
    We have a different definition about what it means to disagree. You seem to think it means picking a fight. I don't.

You seem to think. I don't.
    Can't hardly argue with that.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

There are two Democratic lawmakers in Colorado (home of Columbine, Aurora and New Town) that learned first hand what the 2nd Amendment still means to We The People.

Even in a liberal blue state like CO that has seen more than it's share of mass shootings, the people know three things:

1. Mass shooters ALWAYS target "gun free" zones (like Columbine, Aurora and New Town) where they know they will be able to claim a significant number of victims before armed resistance arrives.
    2. Mass shooters ALWAYS acquire their weapons because they ignore existing firearm laws or because existing gun laws are intentionally not being enforced.
    3. Passing more anti-gun laws will only serve to create a more "target rich" environment for future mass shootings yet to come.

And now a serious question regarding the Washington Naval yard incident: What kind of country does not permit it's own military to carry firearms on a military base? Did we not learn from Fort Hood what can happen when our armed forced are left unarmed?

Answer: A country run by imbeciles out of touch with reality.

...and now a clue: We understand that a nation that governs at the consent of the people has nothing to fear from a well armed citizenry. OTOH one that does not has everything to fear. (No, not my words, I believe that was Thomas Jefferson's sentiment).

Chairman Mao first registered the citizens guns, confiscated them, and finally proceeded to commit mass genocide against the unarmed Chinese citizens.
    Joseph Stalin first registered the citizens guns, confiscated them, and finally proceeded to commit mass genocide against the unarmed Russian citizens.
    Adolph Hitler first registered the citizens guns, confiscated them, and finally proceeded to commit mass genocide against the unarmed German citizens.

History shows that the pattern does not change - only the name of the genocidal tyrant and the country of the gullible victims that willingly empowered their own brutal demise.

We have seen this play before time and again; History is replete with evil thugs promising security while plotting to eliminate those they imagine would dare stand in their way.

The all caring benevolent government seeking to protect us for our own good, to keep us safe; and it always ends badly for the ignorant sheeple willing to sacrifice essential liberty for empty promises of security made by a maniacal government led by a criminal psychopath.

Our Will must be Obeyed by our Public Servants... it is up to We The People to take this country back (through the election process)..

Remember, all that evil needs to thrive is for good men to stand silently and do nothing.

Just sayen.
    Last edited by Tea Party Patriot; 09-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    What I think Lanie is trying to say is that a decent, law-abiding citizen with a gun isn't intimidating to another decent, law-abiding citizen, but that a disturbed or evil individual is going to be a problem, with or without a gun. In other words, she's making a pro-open carry argument.

Seriously, chill.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!