Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He shouldn't be hearing it from adults while on an educational field trip.

We shouldn't white-wash history (ever), but not every history lesson is appropriate for role-playing games. The Museum of African American History in Detroit has some displays that show things like the size of the hold in a slave ship, with concrete sculptures of human figures in it to illustrate the conditions the people were subjected to-that seems far more appropriate for teaching kids about the horrors of slavery than calling them names and actually acting out slavery.
    Who mentions slavery at every opportunity? Black people.
    Who blames present day conditions, poverty, crime, imprisonment, etc... on slavery? Black people.
    Who won't shut the fuck up about slavery? Black people.
    Who is demanding that someone else shut the fuck up about slavery? Black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Who blames present day conditions, poverty, crime, imprisonment, etc... on slavery? Black people.
    Who is demanding that someone else shut the fuck up about slavery? Black people.
    I don't know who you hang out with but in my circle of friends, blacks never mention that stuff. There's some talk about how absurd The Help was and how Jay Z (some entertainer ... I don't know) needs to start acting like wealthy people are supposed to act with regards to charity .... something about Breaking Bad but that really isn't about black people .... the collapse of the Rangers these last two years .... no .... nothing about slavery except maybe when we talk about Toni Morrison's work or I have a few too many beers and regale my guests with the greatness that was General James Longstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I don't know who you hang out with but in my circle of friends, blacks never mention that stuff. There's some talk about how absurd The Help was and how Jay Z (some entertainer ... I don't know) needs to start acting like wealthy people are supposed to act with regards to charity .... something about Breaking Bad but that really isn't about black people .... the collapse of the Rangers these last two years .... no .... nothing about slavery except maybe when we talk about Toni Morrison's work or I have a few too many beers and regale my guests with the greatness that was General James Longstreet.
    Thank you. I also don't know any black people talking about slavery all the time. Actually, I tend to forget their race, which is how it should be.
    Human lives matter.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Actually, I tend to forget their race, which is how it should be.
    That would mean that you are colorblind. Which, apparently, is racist.

Power CUer
    Nova, you may have a point. From Psychology Today:

So, how do we become multicultural? The following suggestions would make a good start (McCabe, 2011):

Recognizing and valuing differences,
    Teaching and learning about differences

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Nova, you may have a point. From Psychology Today:
    I have enough of that. I call it being hard to agree with. It goes something like this:

a- YOu're wrong.

b- I agree.

a- No, you're wrong.

b- I understand that, I am agreeing with you.

a- No, you're wrong.

Most of the museum is dedicated to achievements by African Americans, but slavery is a part of American history and especially a part of African-American history. To not mention it in the Museum of African American History would be really odd.

The Rosa Parks bus is not there, however. It's at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, which is kind of like a Midwestern Smithsonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    That would mean that you are colorblind. Which, apparently, is racist.
    It's amazing how the term racist has an ever expanding definition in the eyes of the world.

The need for colorblindness implies there is something shameful about the way God made me and the culture I was born into that we shouldn't talk about. Thus, colorblindness has helped make race into a taboo topic that polite people cannot openly discuss. And if you can't talk about it, you can't understand it, much less fix the racial problems that plague our society.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Most of the museum is dedicated to achievements by African Americans .......
    Like what?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    No Nova ...

Be subjected to it through the use of TAX PAYERS money!

Especially this taxpayer!!!
    Speaking of "taxpayers money", I would love to know who paid for this four day field trip.

I will be candid that I don't have a very high opinion of these "outdoor education" people. My experience with the local bunch is that they charge a fortune to spend time with other people's children, teaching bullshit while apparently sincerely believing that they are doing something special and good. The owners of these cons are people who basically don't want to have real jobs and aren't qualified to teach school. They pump Global Warming and do tiresome team building exercises they stole from corporate seminars like TQM back in the 1980's.

Our local outdoor education group included pot heads, a guy who lost his drivers license due to his obvious and ongoing alcoholism, and at least two people who had felony convictions. All of this was privately funded.