1. #1 Stan Musial items up for auction (Attn SLW!) 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    He's considered the greatest St. Louis Cardinal of them all, and fans of Stan "The Man" Musial have a chance to own a piece of his personal collection, ranging from game-worn jerseys to championship rings -- even his legendary harmonicas.

An online auction of 400 lots of Musial memorabilia began Thursday through Heritage Auctions of Dallas. Bidding ends Nov. 7 through Nov. 9, depending on the lot.

Musial died in January at age 92, a year after his wife, Lillian, died. The family kept numerous mementos from his life and career and gave away many others to the Cardinals organization, friends and others.

But Musial's modest four-bedroom red-brick home in Ladue, Mo., was simply stuffed with things he collected over the years -- items from his playing days, gifts from fellow players, even letters and cards from fans, said Musial's grandson, Brian Musial Schwarze.

"Most of this stuff the family didn't even know was there," Schwarze said. "He just never made a big show of anything."

On the inexpensive side, bidding starts at $1 for things such as autographed photos, Musial's lighters and neckties and a collection of Christmas cards sent to Musial.

At the other end of the scale, bidding starts at $10,000 for four items: A game-worn jersey from 1948, one of three seasons Musial won the National League MVP; championship rings from the 2006 and 2011 seasons; and an autographed baseball from Babe Ruth, given to Musial when he was in the minor leagues in 1941.

Among Schwarze's favorites is a letter from another baseball legend, Ty Cobb. Written in 1952, Cobb's letter discusses everything from how to break out of a slump to his disdain for sportswriters. He wrote: "Seriously now, I know well that you averaged in 6 of your last 7 years .355. Does that give you a right to be so darn modest?
    LINK

I'm not a collector, but thought you might find this interesting, SLW.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    OMG...Thanks Ralph. There goes the house...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    OMG...Thanks Ralph. There goes the house...
    At least there are very cheap things to bid on, SR! :p
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    At least there are very cheap things to bid on, SR! :p
    Oh...well that's different. I hope she doesn't buy a sock or something like that!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Drat, I had an autographed photo that he gave me at a sports dinner, but can't find it. I lost a lot of stuff in my last 2 moves. Thanks, will probably check it out.

Stan the Man was buddies with Whitey Herzog and Jack Buck. All of them were at the last sports dinner I attended (shortly before Jack Buck died). I do have an autographed book by Jack Buck also signed by his son Joe Buck and a program from the sports dinner at Missouri Athletic Club signed by Tony La Russa, Joe Buck, Whitey Herzog and various other celebrites, including the man honored that evening at the dinner, the great St Louis Blues hockey star, Al MacGinnis, the year that he retired, I believe 1998. I'm thinking of selling these things on ebay, but will have to research it so don't give them away.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS