Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    It boils down to two things.

1) Private Property

2) Toy Guns

Often times children gather in a yard to play or hang out before the school bus arrives. When did the school district take over jurisdiction of these activities?

When kids play they often step out into the street, big deal. If it's a street like I live on you have to wait a very long time to ever see a car go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    You raise valid points, but there is one issue within the law regarding discharge of the guns, which is that it specifies an exemption for use on private property, and the front yard was private property. One kid left the yard, and in doing so, may have violated the law (although the complaint doesn't specify whether he fired his gun after leaving the yard), but the other was within the letter of the law.
    But the law mentions that even using the air guns on private property involves permission of the owner. Since Khalid's mother told him "No", this can be construed as not having permission of the owner. From my original post:

...However, the Code also requires shooting with "permission of the owner."

In this case, the parent is the owner, and she did not give her son, Khalid, permission to fire the gun. He disobeyed her.

"How dare he disobey me, but this is a home issue. It's not a school issue, and it won't happen again. He will never do this again," Solangel said while looking back at Khalid with a stern face.

http://www.wavy.com/news/local/va-be...e-gone-too-far

I'm not saying I agree with this. I'm just saying that the law can be construed in such a way as to make both Khalid and Aidan vulnerable to arrest. The fact that the police did not arrest them, however, indicates that they did not believe the boys were a threat to anyone. Had there been an arrest, I would have had more sympathy with the school principal since even toys can be used to cause actual harm. But the lack of an arrest (when it was a definite legal possibility) makes the school's actions entirely unreasonable. That's why I think there is something else going on.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

1) Private Property

2) Toy Guns

Often times children gather in a yard to play or hang out before the school bus arrives. When did the school district take over jurisdiction of these activities?

When kids play they often step out into the street, big deal. If it's a street like I live on you have to wait a very long time to ever see a car go by.
    Back when I was a kid, we played hockey in the street. Granted, it was a quiet street, but drivers did have to get by and we got honked at a few times. However, no one ever called the police, even though a flying hockey stick could have caused serious damage. We also played baseball in the yard, and if we had ever broken a neighbor's window, no police would have been called. Our parents would have just paid for the new window and docked our allowance until it was paid off.

Things are different now. Everything kids do seems to be an excuse to bring the police in.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

1) Private Property

2) Toy Guns

The schools would punish us in the 70s/early 80s for acting up at the bus stop. Our bus stop wasn't in front of someone's house, though, it was on an easement for Consumer's Power, that ran through my neighborhood (the lines were overhead). It was a sort of no man's land, that when we were older, was make-out territory. Smoking cigarettes at the bus stop was punished by the school (and by the parents, as the school also notified them). The easement is now a very long bike/hike path.

My little sister used to beat up boys on the way home from the bus stop with impunity, however. That probably had more to do with boys not wanting to admit to getting the crap beat out of them by a girl than anything else.