Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I'm sorry noony but that's bullshit. These schools are getting out of control. Are they going to
    start asking kids if they have toy guns at home??? These assclowns need to be slapped down
    and the parents need to demand the school officials be fired. WTF is wrong with people today??
    Have they lost all common sense and replaced it with PC????
    It is felonious assault to shoot someone with a pellet or bb gun, if the parents of the kids who were shot had decided to file charges. It happened while waiting for the school bus, so the school has an interest in the matter.

It's not about playing with a toy gun, it's about assaulting another kid with a pellet gun-it might not be a deadly weapon, but it's still a weapon that can cause injury. Schools can't tolerate that type of behavior from the students.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Regardless of how close they were to the bus stop, they were in their own front yard. As you correctly pointed out, the school has no jurisdiction over bus stops, much less responsibility for actions that occur there, but even if they did, they have no authority over private property, or anyplace else outside of their very limited jurisdiction. And my point is that if the school can suspend kids for legal activities in their own home, then they can suspend them for anything that offends their sensibilities, to include political or religious issues. Belonging to the wrong church or party could result in suspensions if this precedent is allowed to stand.

But here's my question about this.

Since the schools are legally responsible for the welfare of students while in their care, does this extend to bus stops? If it does, then I think that changes everything. We need a lawyer's opinion here.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The worst thing is that the neighbor who called the cops said that she knew that it wad a toy, but found it "disturbing". The police should have told her to go pound sand. Since when do the emotional states of idiots constitute criminal intent in third parties?

Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    +1

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The kids were shooting at other kids while waiting for the bus to pick them up. I know the stop is on private property and all, but it happened in a situation where the school has a legitimate stake in the safety of the kids.
    A question was asked in the comments: Had one of the kids been kissing another kid in the yard, would it violate the school's sexual harassment policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    A question was asked in the comments: Had one of the kids been kissing another kid in the yard, would it violate the school's sexual harassment policy?

I don't know what the school's exact policy is on the matter of kissing, but unless one child forces another to kiss him or her, there's no likely injury involved, and the punishment would not be as severe as using a pellet gun to assault another kid.

Guns don't shoot people by themselves. The behavior is being punished, not the weapon.

It is felonious assault to shoot someone with a pellet or bb gun, if the parents of the kids who were shot had decided to file charges. It happened while waiting for the school bus, so the school has an interest in the matter.

It's not about playing with a toy gun, it's about assaulting another kid with a pellet gun-it might not be a deadly weapon, but it's still a weapon that can cause injury. Schools can't tolerate that type of behavior from the students.
    When we were kids shooting another kid with a BB was petty and at the worst was called being a bully. Today it's Felony Assault. So it goes with incremental stupid.

That's the problem with language. I once remember a social worker equating someone getting spanked with a ruler as a "weapon". That doesn't make it one.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Have you ever seen an Airsoft gun? It's basically a Nerf gun, except that the pellets are a harder plastic. The kid was charged with "possession, handling and use of a firearm," except that this "firearm" cannot break the skin unless it's a souped up model (i.e., one of the ones used for law-enforcement training) and even then, only at extremely close range. It's not a weapon, it's a toy. The person who called the police, the police and the school aren't simply overreacting, they are going ballistic over a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    But here's my question about this.

Since the schools are legally responsible for the welfare of students while in their care, does this extend to bus stops? If it does, then I think that changes everything. We need a lawyer's opinion here.
    No, we don't. You made the argument yourself, that a school is legally responsible for the welfare of students while in its care. Is a student on his parents' property outside of school hours in the school's care? Obviously not. Is a student on a public street who is waiting for a school bus, without school supervision (there was no school monitor or guard there) under the school's care? Obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Only if the witness was offended by a PDA, which is possible.

This is dangerous ground for everybody involved.
    • The school may be enjoying attacking a toy gun user, but if they establish the precedent that they are responsible for everything that happens on the way to school, they are opening themselves up for a tremendous amount of liability. If they want to play that game, every kid who stubs his/her toe between their house and the school has grounds for a civil suit.
    • The police have arrested a child for not committing a crime, but simply playing in a politically incorrect manner in front of a moron. Their exposure is also going to be quite extensive. If that were my kid, I'd inform the county that we are perfectly capable of disciplining our child on our property when no crime is committed, and unless the county wants to defend itself against a false arrest suit and pay massive damages, they'd better think very quickly about dropping the charges and disciplining the officers whose judgment was so faulty.
    • The neighbor who called it in had better make sure that her house is in order, literally, because, again, if I were the parents of that kid, I'd make sure that I observed every violation of the local HOA rules or municipal code by that idiot and I'd file complaints until her legal bills rivalled Enron's.
    • And, of course, every parent in America needs to understand that this is another assault on our rights to raise our own children and raise holy hell about it until the powers that be figure out that we're not subjects of a benevolent monarch, but free citizens of a nation that doesn't have to kowtow to petty bureaucrats.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

It is felonious assault to shoot someone with a pellet or bb gun,
    Please site this law. I'll wait.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

It doesn't stop here. We've had kids suspended and given black marks on their educational record for allegedly chewing a pop tart into a gun, using their thumb and forefinger as a gun playing cops and robbers, wearing a shirt, a Marine shirt at that, that had a picture of a gun on it as well as a child being sent to substance abuse counseling because she playfully said her grape juice was wine. This is liberal fascism. This is what people like Doble, Noon and Lanie want. They want it because they keep electing those who enact these stupid fascist rules.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    According to the article, it appears some of the kids did go too far in how they played, but as mentioned before, it's a home issue. It shouldn't be a legal issue or a school issue. They're turning into Nazi Germany.
    I would think children playing outside and remaining active is a good thing when you compare it to children sitting on the sofa playing very violent video games for hours and hours.

I had toy guns when I was a kid, a few years later I was shooting real guns in the same back yard. Our driveway was a school bus stop.