The New $100 Bills Could Be Worth How Much?!

Sep. 27, 2013 9:18pm Guest Post

[Editor’s note: the following is a crosspost by NBC News contributor Martha C. White that appeared on CNBC.com]:
WASHINGTON, DC – MAY 20: Newly redesigned $100 notes lay in stacks at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing on May 20, 2013 in Washington, DC. The one hundred dollar bills will be released this fall and has new security features, such as a duplicating portrait of Benjamin Franklin and microprinting added to make the bill more difficult to counterfeit (Credit: Getty Images)

To most people, it’s a hundred bucks. But to a small cadre of dedicated, if slightly obsessed, collectors, the new $100 bills that go into circulation Oct. 8 are a gold mine.
What excites the collectors most are the new bills’ serial numbers. With a new design, the bills’ serial numbers will “reset” and start back at number one — and those bucks will be worth big bucks in the right circles.
“I would wager a guess that [the number one] note will bring between between $10,000 and $20,000 in uncirculated (mint) condition,” said independent dealer Scott Lindquist.
The last time the $100 bill was redesigned, back in the 1990s, that first serial number sold for more than $10,000 on the collector market.
“Early on, they’ll have the highest demand and highest premium. I would anticipate that the first number ones to reach the market will be $7,500 to $10,000,” if not more, said Frederick Bart, a dealer of rare currency. The lowest eight-digit serial numbers — 00000001, 00000002 and so on — will fetch the highest prices.”
Combinations of serial numbers — like eight of the same digit, which collectors call “solids” — will probably be worth $3,000 or so in the collectible market, said Bart.
Other popular numbers are “radars,” where the first four numbers mirror the last four numbers, and “ladders,” where the numbers go up sequentially. Among collectors, the collective term for these is “fancy” serial numbers.
Read More>http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...orth-how-much/

Some people have too much money.