Thread: Three arrested in Wal-Mart protests that extend to 15 cities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Three arrested in Wal-Mart protests that extend to 15 cities 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,104
    Three arrested in Wal-Mart protests that extend to 15 cities

    Gary Strauss, USA TODAY 6:55 p.m. EDT September 5, 2013
    In the latest worker protest to raise hourly wages, activiists rally against Wal-Mart


    (Photo: Matt Rourke, AP)
    Story Highlights

    • Coalition wants more full-time positions paying $25,000 a year
    • Wal-Mart says few workers are participating, blames union organizers


    SHARECONNECT 136 TWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE

    Wal-Mart workers and supporters launched protests in at least 15 cities Thursday, urging the world's largest retailer provide higher wages, better jobs and the right to unionize.
    OUR Wal-Mart, a coalition including Wal-Mart workers, community organizers and the United Food & Commercial Workers organized day-long protests, urging Wal-Mart to pay full-time wages of $25,000 a year, or $12 an hour. It says many of Wal-Mart's 1.3 million associates are part-time employees averaging just $8.80 an hour.
    The Wal-Mart protests - which follow last week's broader, widespread strikes among fast-food industry workers seeking $15 an hour wages from fast food chains - were scheduled for Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, Boston, Orlando, Minneapolis and Washington D.C., where Wal-Mart is threatening to cut expansion if it's required to pay a city mandated "living wage" of at least $12.50 an hour.
    Read More>http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...ities/2770201/

    Isn't that special. Nova in 3....2....1...
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Loss Prevention RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14,804
    The unions want to keep eliminating the bottom rungs on the entry level job ladder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    The unions want to keep eliminating the bottom rungs on the entry level job ladder.
    The unions don't care about the bottom rungs. They care about controlling jobs. You can be the best worker in the world, but in a union shop, the union has more control over your employment prospects than the company's management does. If they don't like you, then management has very little leeway in keeping you employed, much less promoting you.

    Remember that unions are a labor cartel, and their ultimate goal is controlling every aspect of labor, from entry to post-retirement. They want power, and nothing else matters.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    39,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Remember that unions are a labor cartel, and their ultimate goal is controlling every aspect of labor, from entry to post-retirement. They want power, and nothing else matters.
    No wonder they get along so well with politicians with their mutual shared goals of complete power.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Loss Prevention RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The unions don't care about the bottom rungs. They care about controlling jobs. You can be the best worker in the world, but in a union shop, the union has more control over your employment prospects than the company's management does. If they don't like you, then management has very little leeway in keeping you employed, much less promoting you.

    Remember that unions are a labor cartel, and their ultimate goal is controlling every aspect of labor, from entry to post-retirement. They want power, and nothing else matters.
    Working in several union shops and holding elected union offices I know exactly how it works. At one location in the 90's I had a target on my back for speaking out against an agreement that was already signed by the company and the union prior to the union members having the opportunity to vote on it. The union said "we just knew it would pass" yet it was defeated.

    After my strong dislike of unions later in life I was denied a promotion due to not having enough seniority. The new contract language was loose allowing the company more flexibility, I was already doing most of the duties of the new job, and local management and district management wanted me to have the job. With the new loose contract language the company thought it would not be a problem, yet it was thanks to the UFCW. It was one of those unique jobs in which the supervisor was also union. It would of been a $10 an hour raise. Shortly after they lost me as an employee. 24 months later the same company contacted me trying to rehire me as a manager, but I already had plans to move to Nevada. It took that long. It was a large company and that location actually closed about a year after that.

    I hate unions. I have done everything from paid organizing to union representation. Two of the unions were in Chicago, one shared an office with ACORN.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    No wonder they get along so well with politicians with their mutual shared goals of complete power.
    Of course. The rise of unions in the US coincided with the rise of progressives. The Sherman Antitrust Act used to apply to unions, whose sole reason for existence is the illegal restraint of trade through violence and intimidation, but when Woodrow Wilson had the opportunity, he signed the Clayton Antitrust Act, which specifically exempted unions from the terms of the Sherman Act. Thus, it was a crime for a corporation to have a monopoly of a given commodity, unless that commodity was labor, in which case it was permissible to use all of the thug tactics that unions have employed. Any corporation that sought to impose its power on its competitors through the tactics commonly used by unions would see its board of directors jailed and its assets stripped.

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Working in several union shops and holding elected union offices I know exactly how it works. At one location in the 90's I had a target on my back for speaking out against an agreement that was already signed by the company and the union prior to the union members having the opportunity to vote on it. The union said "we just knew it would pass" yet it was defeated.

    After my strong dislike of unions later in life I was denied a promotion due to not having enough seniority. The new contract language was loose allowing the company more flexibility, I was already doing most of the duties of the new job, and local management and district management wanted me to have the job. With the new loose contract language the company thought it would not be a problem, yet it was thanks to the UFCW. It was one of those unique jobs in which the supervisor was also union. It would of been a $10 an hour raise. Shortly after they lost me as an employee. 24 months later the same company contacted me trying to rehire me as a manager, but I already had plans to move to Nevada. It took that long. It was a large company and that location actually closed about a year after that.

    I hate unions. I have done everything from paid organizing to union representation. Two of the unions were in Chicago, one shared an office with ACORN.
    The next time that we get a Republican majority in both houses, we need to repeal the Clayton Act.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Politically tired.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,633
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I hate unions. I have done everything from paid organizing to union representation. Two of the unions were in Chicago, one shared an office with ACORN.

    Why?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Politically tired.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The next time that we get a Republican majority in both houses, we need to repeal the Clayton Act.
    What do you think the chances of a Right to Work Act being passed are?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Loss Prevention RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Why?
    It paid very well and that was before unions had fully earned my distrust. This was a few years ago.

    Other then a brief period in 2005 I have not been a member of a labor union or employed by one since 1999.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Loss Prevention RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    What do you think the chances of a Right to Work Act being passed are?
    The states that have the law seem to attract more new jobs. I doubt a National RWA would pass right now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •