Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 Looking for a good book suggestion 
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,165
    Anyone know a good Sci Fi/military book series? I read the legacy of the aldanata, and I am all caught up on The lost fleet series. (a good read by the way)
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Perilloux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    555
    I'm currently reading The Well Of Ascension book 2 in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. And I recently finished The Way of Kings also by Sanderson. Both Sci-Fi with some Military.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    ~Winston Churchill
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Perilloux View Post
    I'm currently reading The Well Of Ascension book 2 in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. And I recently finished The Way of Kings also by Sanderson. Both Sci-Fi with some Military.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks will check it out :)
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches

    Not Out Of Africa: How "Afrocentrism" Became An Excuse To Teach Myth As History

    It's not sci-fi but it goes a long way toward exposing the ignorance or deliberate deception of Leftists.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches

    Not Out Of Africa: How "Afrocentrism" Became An Excuse To Teach Myth As History

    It's not sci-fi but it goes a long way toward exposing the ignorance or deliberate deception of Leftists.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I mainly read to be entertained and escape the world in which I live
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Resident Grandpa marv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    3,036
    Some series, some not, but anything written by Azimov beats about anything written by any other SiFi writer, although Clarke's Rama series is good.

    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but I mainly read to be entertained and escape the world in which I live
    Tom Kratman's Caliphate is a very good dystopian future involving a global war between an Islamic Europe and an Imperial United States. He also has another series called "A Desert Called Peace."
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member ReinMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Luna Pier, MI
    Posts
    776
    These are a little on the aged side...

    Alan Dean Foster's 'The Damned' Trilogy
    1. A Call to Arms
    2. The False Mirror
    3. The Spoils of War

    One of the very few sci-fi arcs I've read where humans are the bad-asses of galaxy.
    Human kind's first contact is with an alien alliance that has been at war for a thousand years; and the aliens suck at making war.
    The alien survey team is astonished to find a planet awash with weapons that far exceed the average level of technology around them.
    They are cautiously hopeful when they find that the natives are faster, stronger, and more agile, cunning, and aggressive than the most warlike of their own number.

    Harry Turtledove's 'Worldwar' Series
    1. In the Balance
    2. Upsetting the Balance
    3. Tilting the Balance
    4. Striking the Balance

    World War II is interrupted by an alien invasion. The aliens are reptilian, and extremely slow to change and adapt to anything.
    Their probes, sent a mere 900 years or so earlier, show medieval knights and barbarians as the premiere fighting force on the planet.
    Attacking with 1990's level mil-tech should be a walk, after all, how much can a race change in a thousand-year blink of an eye?
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

    ~John Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    These are a little on the aged side...

    Alan Dean Foster's 'The Damned' Trilogy
    1. A Call to Arms
    2. The False Mirror
    3. The Spoils of War

    One of the very few sci-fi arcs I've read where humans are the bad-asses of galaxy.
    Human kind's first contact is with an alien alliance that has been at war for a thousand years; and the aliens suck at making war.
    The alien survey team is astonished to find a planet awash with weapons that far exceed the average level of technology around them.
    They are cautiously hopeful when they find that the natives are faster, stronger, and more agile, cunning, and aggressive than the most warlike of their own number.

    Harry Turtledove's 'Worldwar' Series
    1. In the Balance
    2. Upsetting the Balance
    3. Tilting the Balance
    4. Striking the Balance

    World War II is interrupted by an alien invasion. The aliens are reptilian, and extremely slow to change and adapt to anything.
    Their probes, sent a mere 900 years or so earlier, show medieval knights and barbarians as the premiere fighting force on the planet.
    Attacking with 1990's level mil-tech should be a walk, after all, how much can a race change in a thousand-year blink of an eye?

    Oh yes I have read Fosters The Damned series and I loved it, just wished he came out with more books in that series. I have the first book in the world war series but never gotten around to reading it. Thanks for the suggestions :)

    I am going to try this series by B.V larson
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Ranger Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    417
    I have liked, and am rereading, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber and the Lt Leary series by David Drake, and there is an Elizabeth Moon space opera I like the name of which escapes me.
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •