Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that maybe you aren't getting some of the things you want in life because you're too stupid to grasp the difference between biology terms and a social construct?

I thought you had me on ignore.

BTW - For those who missed NJ's reference, in a discussion sometime ago I pointed out that biologically human beings and all mammals are either infant or adult and that our definition of the time between biological adulthood and legal adulthood has changed and varied over time, geography, and culture. He seems unable to process the difference between biology and sociology. But what would you expect from him?

Just because something is "socially constructed" does not mean it's ok to change. If you must teach a child that stealing is wrong, that's a social construct. If you must teach a child lying is wrong, that's a social construct.

2nd bold, so are you pro-life now nova? Or do you still think women should be legally able to murder their "fetuses", er sorry infants.

Sorry that I was too general. I usually ask "How long after Christian/Judaism was made the state religion of Rome until the point we mark as the "fall of Rome"? The answer to that one is much more concrete. 27 February 380 - August 24th, 410.
    Except, of course, that the Eastern Roman Empire lasted another thousand years after that, but never you mind that, you just keep trucking out this fake causal relationship instead of discussing the issues at hand. Rome didn't collapse because of Christianity, it collapsed because it lost all of the civic virtues that enabled its rise. Romans became decadent and corrupt as the republic collapsed into anarchy and civil wars, with only the emperor exercising any real power. Throughout the decline, people wallowed in trivial pleasures while the culture rotted. Eventually, the legions became a foreign mercenary force that was totally divorced from the people that they protected, instead of the people themselves. Read the Satyricon for a taste of the debased discourse of the day, or read Tacitus for the day by day collapse, but either way, stop blaming Christianity for the rot that it inherited.

Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Except, of course, that the Eastern Roman Empire lasted another thousand years after that, but never you mind that, you just keep trucking out this fake causal relationship instead of discussing the issues at hand. Rome didn't collapse because of Christianity, it collapsed because it lost all of the civic virtues that enabled its rise. Romans became decadent and corrupt as the republic collapsed into anarchy and civil wars, with only the emperor exercising any real power. Throughout the decline, people wallowed in trivial pleasures while the culture rotted. Eventually, the legions became a foreign mercenary force that was totally divorced from the people that they protected, instead of the people themselves. Read the Satyricon for a taste of the debased discourse of the day, or read Tacitus for the day by day collapse, but either way, stop blaming Christianity for the rot that it inherited.

Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    I blame Judaism. It's your book and mythology at the core.

Sorry that I was too general. I usually ask "How long after Christian/Judaism was made the state religion of Rome until the point we mark as the "fall of Rome"? The answer to that one is much more concrete. 27 February 380 - August 24th, 410.
    The causal effect is the opposite of what you're making it. The empire (and as Ody correctly points out, only the Western half of it) was already eroding. Christianity as a unifying state religion was more an attempt to stem the decay rather than the cause of it. It's sort of like the old soap opera, The Guiding Light, using a lesbian love story in its final year to jack up dying ratings. The lesbian storyline didn't cause the demise of the soap; the storyline was the effect of the producers trying desperate measures to stop the bleeding and drum up some much needed viewership. It didn't work; the soap was already in cardiac arrest as is the soap opera genre (during daytime) as a whole.

The real question to ask is what happened to Christianity after the western half of the empire died, and the answer to that is that Christianity became a culturally and politically stabilizing force for 1000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Eventually, the legions became a foreign mercenary force that was totally divorced from the people that they protected, instead of the people themselves.
    That seems to be where we are headed now. The citizen soldier of the draft era gave way to a "private" military which now relies more and more on paid mercenary contractors from firms like CACI and Blackwater/Academi. The hiring of foreign nationals truly divorces the soldiers from the people they are supposed to be defending.

Hiring mercenaries is a good tactic for a dictator who wants to declare war on his own people and wants a fighting force that feels no ties to them.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you aren't getting some of the things you want in life because you're too stupid to grasp the difference between biology terms and a social construct?
    The whole idea of "being gay" is a social construct.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    To Nova, there are no boundaries when it comes to gay issues including pedophilia.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'm not the one who said that there is no difference between adults and children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart
    biologically human beings and all mammals are either infant or adult
    Game, set, match.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

"How long after Christian/Judaism was made the state religion of Rome until the point we mark as the "fall of Rome"?
    A hell of a lot longer than it's taking to destroy the moral fabric of American society thanks to the secularists. You can blame Christianity all you want but thanks to liberal secular policies, society is on a fast track to Hades.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I see this as being more of a problem with straight people who have been married and divorced multiple times as being a problem for gay couples.

This could give step-parents rights, or let step-parents adopt without the legal parent signing off his rights. Lawyers are going to love it-more cases to fight in court! More retainers! More money! And, they will say it's for the children.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I blame Judaism. It's your book and mythology at the core.
    I KNEW it!!!

It's da JOOOOOOOSSSSS!!!! Hey, this isn't a CU/CC poll is it???
    May the FORCE be with you!