1. #1 Reddit developers analysis of healthcare.gov 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    What a POS!!!

Sat Oct 5, 2013, 01:05 PM
    dkf

Reddit developers analysis of healthcare.gov

Cited by Ezra Klein at wonkblog. A bit over my head but for the techies...

http://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comme...ort=confidence

MikesWastedLife 64 points 4 days ago
    hahaha. my wife works on this project, but not as a developer. last night she said "i have no idea how the site is going to go live tomorrow." well now we know.

Spektr44 22 points 3 days ago
    View source. They're loading 11 CSS files and 62 (wat?) JavaScript files on each page, uncompressed and without expires headers. They have blocks of HTML inexplicably wrapped in script tags. Wtf?

enigmamonkey 6 points 3 days ago
    Wow. That sort of unnecessary overhead is going to kill their servers in HTTP requests that could have been minified and packed into two files (1 CSS and 1 JS).

Spektr44 6 points 3 days ago
    Absolutely. The only time I've had one of my sites crash under load, it wasn't due to db access or dynamic content. It was due to me being naive about serving static content, and the site was getting slammed on those requests. That's when I got a clue about CSS sprites, combining CSS and JS, setting proper headers, using a CDN, etc. But I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as including 62 javascript files on a page!

enigmamonkey 2 points 3 days ago
    I too speak from first hand experience on this, which scares me. This site seems reasonably well designed but technically I assume they would have prepared better from a performance efficiency standpoint. I have personally been in that position where there were thousands of people slamming a server all at the same moment, and I was (figuratively) pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do and how. It suggests they didn't put thought into the sort of traffic they'd receive at all and it turned into a huge news event and honestly, talk about pressure! I'm glad I didn't have an entire nation watching me and my team... Phew!

But don't worry folks, I sure Lord oBAMA will personally debug the code and have it running
    super-cool fast by Monday!!!

What a cluster-fuck.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Spektr44 22 points 3 days ago
    View source. They're loading 11 CSS files and 62 (wat?) JavaScript files on each page, uncompressed and without expires headers. They have blocks of HTML inexplicably wrapped in script tags. Wtf?

enigmamonkey 6 points 3 days ago
    Wow. That sort of unnecessary overhead is going to kill their servers in HTTP requests that could have been minified and packed into two files (1 CSS and 1 JS).

Spektr44 6 points 3 days ago
    Absolutely. The only time I've had one of my sites crash under load, it wasn't due to db access or dynamic content. It was due to me being naive about serving static content, and the site was getting slammed on those requests. That's when I got a clue about CSS sprites, combining CSS and JS, setting proper headers, using a CDN, etc. But I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as including 62 javascript files on a page!
    I've been down that road a couple of times with the Department of the Army in Indianapolis. Both times with small "clothes closet" contractors out of DC who hired a couple of local helpers. One had a criminal record. The other contractor quit after a week admitting they didn't know how to install MVS.

Again with the Department of Interior in Denver. The contractor was a friend of one one the managers. He couldn't install IBM's IPO tape, swore it was "bad", and left the computer room. I installed it, announced to my boss the next morning that "we had a brand new bouncing baby MVS", and got chewed out.

My experience has been that management didn't have enough technical background to screen the people who had to do the work. I blame the management who hired the people who failed.

I browsed around a bit, and found this...
    https://github.com/CMSgov/healthcare.gov/issues

Interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by marv; 10-05-2013 at 10:24 PM.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I'm sure they'll blame some contractor from BangMyDesk and
    issue promotions to everyone else.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post

Seriously, this is the worst, most frustrating web experience I have ever had. Ever. And I started browsing the Web using NCSA Mosaic.

Publish the rates and plans outside the login wall. Ask ages of each participant and show the plans. The application process is just to determine eligibility for subsidies anyway. Just. Show. The. Plans.

https://github.com/CMSgov/healthcare.gov/issues/27

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    I've been down that road a couple of times with the Department of the Army in Indianapolis. Both times with small "clothes closet" contractors out of DC who hired a couple of local helpers. One had a criminal record. The other contractor quit after a week admitting they didn't know how to install MVS.

Again with the Department of Interior in Denver. The contractor was a friend of one one the managers. He couldn't install IBM's IPO tape, swore it was "bad", and left the computer room. I installed it, announced to my boss the next morning that "we had a brand new bouncing baby MVS", and got chewed out.

My experience has been that management didn't have enough technical background to screen the people who had to do the work. I blame the management who hired the people who failed.

There's a Murphy's Law of Technology that states: "Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand."

This seems to be a perfect example of a predictable outcome arising from that truth...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

KoKo (72,290 posts)
    10. So why did we use "CGI Group" a Canadian Contractor? Is that NAFTA in Action?

CGI Group Inc, the Canadian contractor that built HealthCare.gov, is "declining to comment at this time," said spokeswoman Linda Odorisio.
    No shit? Canucks built the thing?

US unemployment rate has been shit since this incompetent boob took office and Canadians are hired for this job. Well done Barry.

That's what happens when you elect a child. Twice.
    Be Not Afraid.