Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 We're seeing lots of nonsense ACA stories posted without the facts needed to evaluate 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Man the ramparts!!! Defend ACA and Lord oBAMA!!!!

Fri Oct 11, 2013, 04:46 PM
    stevenleser

We're seeing lots of nonsense ACA stories posted without the facts needed to evaluate them

I just went to http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/ and estimated what a single person at 40 years old living in Florida, a state that opted out of the Medicaid increase, earning $12,000 a year would pay for a silver plan. Do you know what that person's premium is?

$12 a month for a silver plan.

We're hearing all of this nonsense from people about suffering under the ACA. Here is what we need or its bullshit.

1. The state you live in

2. Your age

3. Your income

4. Size of your family including how many kids 20 and younger

If you don't provide that, none of what you said means anything.
    Good (Cheap) stories only!!! Anything expensive is bad and by trolls!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Wow!! At $12.00 a month, I'll take 2 please!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

What about the age, income, etc. of people who buy their own insurance and have seen their rates jacked into the stratosphere by Obamacare?

Elspeth

What about the age, income, etc. of people who buy their own insurance and have seen their rates jacked into the stratosphere by Obamacare?
    Well, according to the DUmmies YOU don't count. First of all, Obamacare doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the cost of private insurance.

Secondly if your insurance is going up that much you must be rich and can afford it, otherwise you would go through the exchanges and get a subsidy.

Thirdly, if it is going up that much you must have had terrible insurance before that didn't cover anything and you are better off paying more and getting more benefits.

And finally, if it is going up that much YOU ARE LYING!!

Savannahmann (1,751 posts)

83. You asked for it.
    Here you go.

Results
    Because your income is more than 4 times the poverty level, you would not qualify for subsidized exchange coverage. The information below is about unsubsidized exchange coverage.

Household income in 2014: 407% of poverty levelUnsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:$10,151

In most states, insurers can charge a tobacco surcharge of up to 50% of your total premium before the tax credit.

The tax credit cannot be applied to the tobacco surcharge. Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:None
    (before accounting for a tobacco surcharge, if applicable) Amount you pay for the premium:$10,151 per year
    (which equals 16.06% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0
    (which covers 0% of the overall premium)

Already that is more than was being paid. Prior to the Tobacco surcharge I might add. For two adults, one smoker, in Bullock County Georgia, with 63,200 in income. So the silver plan is 16% of the annual income. That leaves $53,000 for housing, food, and oh yes, copays which are not covered in this calculator. Figure they'll run about another $2,500 which gets down to 50k. But let's not forget taxes, auto, home, and you guessed it, income. So when the person in this example gets done, they'll be paying more, I know, and getting less, I know again, but thankfully the 63 year old woman has maternity coverage. Because pregnancy at that age is really trying. Good news, we'll now have in and outpatient mental health coverage, bad news, we'll probably need it from the stress of paying more than twenty percent of our income for health insurance.

Previously we were paying much less, with lower copays, and with lower deductables. But as was pointed out, we don't matter. So fuck us

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Any one try that ACA calculator?

Lets just say at my age and income, it would suck up a full week and a half after taxes of my monthly income. Right now I have maybe a little over half a weeks worth of disposable income. Money I could cut, but not have a life out side of work and home to do nothing.

And they call this "Affordable".
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Lies!!! All Lies!!!! How DARE you make oBAMACare look bad!!!

Those are Freeper numbers!!!! FREEPER!!!!!!

DUers, REAL DUers, know that coverage will only be $10 a month with the Rainbow Unicorn Subsidy!!!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

So this guy is 40 and earns $12K/Year?

Assuming he works full time that comes out to $5.77/hour which is way below the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

Like everything else on DU it only makes sense if you suppress the inclination to think rationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post

Assuming he works full time that comes out to $5.77/hour which is way below the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

Like everything else on DU it only makes sense if you suppress the inclination to think rationally.
    If you do the math, it comes out to being just over 30 hours a week. Min wage. My guess, he's likely $7.50, and doing just shy of 30 hours to keep him below the obamacare level.
    Rest In Peace America

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    Best part, I punched in his own numbers for where I live, same states he uses.

I get for Bronze, $20 a month prem.

Silver which he quotes at "$12"

Is $187.50 per month.

Using his own numbers.

So out of a monthly income of $1000, on the silver plan, $187.50 of it must go for obamacare.
    Rest In Peace America