Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

Also, churches 1 and 3 require members to supply the church office with a copy of their W-2 forms every year, to ensure that they are truly tithing 10%. Not that it has anything to do with the topic.
    There is where the BS begins....
    It is up to YOU, not the church, to determine tithes....

The Lord knows whether you are being honest.

I smell $$$$ money-grabbers there!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Also, churches 1 and 3 require members to supply the church office with a copy of their W-2 forms every year, to ensure that they are truly tithing 10%. Not that it has anything to do with the topic.
    I doubt it. That would be un-Biblical. If you really look at Scripture it does not stop at 10%. In fact who says your tithe is to only go to once group? Some people split their giving up, regardless of membership and affiliation. God wants a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7), not a legalistic giver.

If a church or a pastor was worried about such documentation to prove income it would open up privacy concerns and that information could also be used for manipulative purposes. But like you said the members are liberal voters and liberals love to control other people's money. Maybe they do it for the collective good of society?

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I doubt it. That would be un-Biblical. If you really look at Scripture it does not stop at 10%. In fact who says your tithe is to only go to once group? Some people split their giving up, regardless of membership and affiliation. God wants a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7), not a legalistic giver.

If a church or a pastor was worried about such documentation to prove income it would open up privacy concerns and that information could also be used for manipulative purposes. But like you said the members are liberal voters and liberals love to control other people's money. Maybe they do it for the collective good of society?

I have a coworker who goes to Perfecting Church and is a member. You only have to give up the W2s and tithe accordingly to be a member, not just to attend.

She says that this way all the members know that they are all in compliance with God's will and there are fewer power struggles among those who give more in dollar amounts than those who have less resources. I get what she's saying, but I still think it's wrong for a church to require such documentation of its members.