Thread: Dogs Feel Emotions Like People

1. #1 Dogs Feel Emotions Like People 
    Pups with feelings

Can't imagine how they'd train dogs to sit still in an MRI machine. When I broke my wrist in June, went to a facility that had an open MRI. Yeah, I know, I'm a big coward.

One researcher may have found scientific evidence that dogs are people, too. Well, not quite, but they may feel some of the same human emotions as humans.

Gregory Berns, professor of neuroeconomics at Emory University and the author of “How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain,” has done what many other researchers have not been able to do, which is study MRI scans of dog brains without the use of anesthetic.

Berns and positive reinforcement animal trainer Mark Spivak trained one dozen dogs, using positive reinforcement training to wear ear muffs (to protect their sensitive ears to the very loud MRI machine), rest their chins on a rest and sit perfectly still and unrestrained for 30-60 seconds while researchers measured certain perceptions and emotions.

Berns says dog parents signed consent forms for their dogs and they were allowed to leave the study anytime.
    His first subject was his own dog, Callie, a rescue terrier mix. After several months of training, they were able to get their first scans. The scan measured her reactions to hand signals and scents of familiar and unfamiliar dogs.

The study focused on the caudate nucleus. It was found that the caudate nucleus changed when the dogs were presented with food and more importantly, it changed when the dog’s people returned from having stepped out of the room.
    Berns says it doesn’t prove that dogs love us. However, the caudate in dogs is similar to that of humans and the same thing that activates human caudate, which is associated with positive emotions, also activates a dog’s caudate. “The ability to experience positive emotions, like love and attachment, would mean that dogs have a level of sentience comparable to that of a human child.

And this ability suggests a rethinking of how we treat dogs,” Berns wrote.
    Berns says these types of studies may eventually change how we view dogs and other animals, in that one day dogs will be akin to personhood.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Well they'd never get our 2 greys to sit still!!!

And we don't need a MRI to tell us what we already know.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    And we don't need a MRI to tell us what we already know.
    Agreed, especially the rescued, adopted, or abandoned after they realize that they have a new, safe and loving home.
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

My new puppy has quickly developed feelings of entitlement-she's entitled to treats after a successful visit to the out of doors, she's entitled to sleep in bed with me, she's entitled to bite my arms and back with her sharp little puppy teeth....

She also is very loyal to me, and follows me around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Agreed, especially the rescued, adopted, or abandoned after they realize that they have a new, safe and loving home.
    Yup!

Our golden, who was never abandoned, is blissfully dense about how rough the real world is, versus our other two, who most definitely know how things were.

Our other two make it known on a daily basis how appreciative they are.
    U.S. Army, Retired