Thread: Marianne Williamson is running for Congress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Marianne Williamson is running for Congress 
    She's running for Waxman's seat, as an independent.

I find this scary-her blissed-out followers are very supportive, and don't like to see their high priestess insulted. I made a negative comment about her on DU regarding her endorsement of a congressional candidate in Michigan and one of her fans was not pleased (I stated that the candidate shouldn't hang out so much with such an ethically challenged woman). One of her fanatic followers jumped on me for implying that Marianne has questionable ethics.

She'll have Oprah's support. She'll probably have the support of Steven Tyler, too, but Joe Perry will make fun of him for it.

I have not heard of this woman, but if moonbats defend her vociferously, then it's obvious she'll be no good for that state.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I have not heard of this woman, but if moonbats defend her vociferously, then it's obvious she'll be no good for that state.
    She's Oprah's guru-a new age "spiritual leader". She was "pastor" of the church I used to attend from 1998-2003 or so. Most of us who were volunteers at the time saw her prima donna side and were repulsed at it and relieved when she left.

She openly campaigned for Dennis Kucinich from the pulpit. She's the one who came up with the "Department of Peace" idea. One Sunday, after attending an Aerosmith concert and convincing Tyler to sing with the choir, she appeared to be experiencing afterglow from the night before, as she was gushing all over him, as if he wasn't a walking STD.

People kiss her butt, though, because she's famous. A lot of the congregants only saw a certain side of her and worship her. Her teachings are not based on the Bible, but on A Course In Miracles, a new-age classic that teaches that humans are gods.

As pastor, she drew a 6 figure salary. In addition to her salary, the church generously paid her personal assistant's salary and benefits (who did not serve the church at all) and gave the same deal to the governoress for her then 13 year old daughter.

The Christmas after she stepped down as pastor, she was hired to do 3 services. At the last minute, she demanded more money and demanded that she not only choose the songs, but change the words of the songs at will. At that point, she had a speaker's contract to do one Sunday Service a month. The church responded to her demands by holding her to the terms of her contract for X-mas, and canceling her contract for monthly services (it was a month by month thing that either party could back out of). She then responded by having her followers stalk church attendees in the parking lot at the next Sunday service and hand them flyers to attend a meeting she was having at a local hotel, to explain her side of things.

On the up side for the GOP, she could steal enough moonbat votes from Waxman to give the GOP a chance at the seat. She definitely appeals to the peaceniks and hippies.

My joke about her is this: Anyone who thinks Oprah is the whore of Babylon hasn't met Marianne Williamson yet.

Sounds like your typical raving moonbat.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Power CUer
    Didn't she officiate at one of Liz Taylor's weddings?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Didn't she officiate at one of Liz Taylor's weddings?

Probably. She likely got to know Liz through addiction recovery programs-Marianne does not have an addiction problem that I know of, but a lot of her focus is on people in recovery, as was the focus of my former church.

She is smart in the way that cult leaders are smart, and is able to manipulate people's emotions, but she is not an intellectual heavyweight. She misquoted the Bible all the time-the one instant I remember best is when she connected the verse "Jesus wept" with Jesus on the cross. Duh! "Jesus wept" comes from when he saw his friend Lazarus in his tomb.

I know I might sound kind of catty about her, but she really is trouble. Congress has enough egotistical idiots as it is, it doesn't need another one. It will be interesting to see who endorses her. I wonder if her friend Kucinich will endorse her over Waxman? Arianna Huffington will likely endorse her, Oprah is a given. I hope Bill Maher or Jon Stewart gets her on one of their shows and tears her apart in front of a mostly liberal audience, to make it very clear to the people of that district what she's about, which is, of course, promoting Marianne Williamson.

Well, she's prettier than Waxman, which is at least a slight improvement. No matter how you slice it though, wacko is wacko.

U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    She's running for Waxman's seat, as an independent.

I find this scary-her blissed-out followers are very supportive, and don't like to see their high priestess insulted. I made a negative comment about her on DU regarding her endorsement of a congressional candidate in Michigan and one of her fans was not pleased (I stated that the candidate shouldn't hang out so much with such an ethically challenged woman). One of her fanatic followers jumped on me for implying that Marianne has questionable ethics.
    She should stick to fleecing the flock.

I remember her well, noonie. Her books were all over the place, especially at "new age" bookstores (very trendy in the 90s in LA), and she lectured at various spots. She's not exactly Guru Ma (remember her?) but she has her own special kind of danger.

I don't think she'll ever beat Waxman, but she might be a spoiler in the district if she can siphon enough votes away. The person she would be hurting is Waxman, which would be fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    She's Oprah's guru-a new age "spiritual leader". She was "pastor" of the church I used to attend from 1998-2003 or so. Most of us who were volunteers at the time saw her prima donna side and were repulsed at it and relieved when she left.

She openly campaigned for Dennis Kucinich from the pulpit. She's the one who came up with the "Department of Peace" idea. One Sunday, after attending an Aerosmith concert and convincing Tyler to sing with the choir, she appeared to be experiencing afterglow from the night before, as she was gushing all over him, as if he wasn't a walking STD.

People kiss her butt, though, because she's famous. A lot of the congregants only saw a certain side of her and worship her. Her teachings are not based on the Bible, but on A Course In Miracles, a new-age classic that teaches that humans are gods.

As pastor, she drew a 6 figure salary. In addition to her salary, the church generously paid her personal assistant's salary and benefits (who did not serve the church at all) and gave the same deal to the governoress for her then 13 year old daughter.

The Christmas after she stepped down as pastor, she was hired to do 3 services. At the last minute, she demanded more money and demanded that she not only choose the songs, but change the words of the songs at will. At that point, she had a speaker's contract to do one Sunday Service a month. The church responded to her demands by holding her to the terms of her contract for X-mas, and canceling her contract for monthly services (it was a month by month thing that either party could back out of). She then responded by having her followers stalk church attendees in the parking lot at the next Sunday service and hand them flyers to attend a meeting she was having at a local hotel, to explain her side of things.

On the up side for the GOP, she could steal enough moonbat votes from Waxman to give the GOP a chance at the seat. She definitely appeals to the peaceniks and hippies.

My joke about her is this: Anyone who thinks Oprah is the whore of Babylon hasn't met Marianne Williamson yet.
    Sounds like the female version of Al Sharpton.

Given that, this is not a bad thing. She has the money to mount a serious challenge, and sending Waxman back to the private sector and forcing him to get a real job for a change when the job market is tanking due to the policies of his party is petic justice. She won't be as effective at advancing Democratic politics as Waxman is (Waxman is very effective at attacking during hearings), and while it would be great if she cost him so much in the primary that a Republican took the seat, that's unlikely, as that district entails most of the Hollywood crazies, but any money spent in an internal fight between two lunatic Democrats is money that won't be spent against Republicans.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    She should stick to fleecing the flock.

I remember her well, noonie. Her books were all over the place, especially at "new age" bookstores (very trendy in the 90s in LA), and she lectured at various spots. She's not exactly Guru Ma (remember her?) but she has her own special kind of danger.

I don't think she'll ever beat Waxman, but she might be a spoiler in the district if she can siphon enough votes away. The person she would be hurting is Waxman, which would be fine with me.

When Marianne was pastor at Renaissance Unity, they sold ECP's books in the church bookstore. ECP was a conservative, politically, though, and Marianne is a liberal. Erin Prophet wrote a great book about her mother, a brutally honest account of her mother's ministry and her own role in CUT as the leader's daughter.

I would not say I know Marianne, because she wouldn't know me by name. When she was pastor, she was not approachable by the congregation except in the greeting line after services and when she was signing books-very brief encounters. The church has reinstated ties with her since I left a couple of years ago, so I'm glad I left when I did.