Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Robert Oscar Lopez: The Devil Comes Home to Cal State Northridge Read more: http://w 
    Power CUer
    What happens when a conservative gets a job in academia. The level of harassment is not to be believed. Worth the read.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...orthridge.html

....Perhaps I was lulled too much by university websites, always plugging lecture series, roundtables, and grants. I thought that the gospel of academic freedom was real, and professors could pursue truth without censorship. I thought the CSU was going to protect the free exchange of ideas.

I was not even finished moving into my office when Obama's face was plastered everywhere. It was election 2008; for me, the season in Hell. At the mere mention of Sarah Palin's name, seven colleagues at a table literally foamed at the mouth and moaned that only someone mentally retarded could respect such a "self-loathing bimbo." I confessed that I admired Palin to a colleague, and he immediately compared me to Hitler.

Afterwards, strange things began to happen. People became rude during cursory social interactions. Application after application for course release, teaching support, and other benefits came back rejected. Everything I sent to the department newsletter vanished into cyberspace. I couldn't get on committees, I was summarily removed from faculty groups like the Center for Sex and Gender Research, and I received bizarre communications at the rate of about one per week, which began with "it has come to my attention" and ended with some threat to punish me for the slightest deviation from the most picayune and arcane university regulations.

Within fourteen months of starting the job, I'd been hectored directly at a department retreat and denounced on the faculty listserv. A trio whom I'll call the Marxist Brothers -- one devoted to a lifelong crusade against the ghost of McCarthy, another obsessed with African-American literature, and another the darling who compared me to Hitler -- started having closed-door meetings with my chair, and the fun began.

Suddenly one of the Marxist Brothers unveiled a play about a Puerto Rican academic who narrowly avoided being jobless in budget cuts by working in intelligence and going to Afghanistan. The dean assured me that this was purely a coincidence and couldn't have anything to do with me -- the only Puerto Rican in the department, the only person working in intelligence, and, as the college's only faculty reservist, the only one facing deployment to Afghanistan. I was expected to take it in stride when the reading of this unwritten play was unexpectedly scheduled for nine days before a symposium I had organized on campus about gender and national security....

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2hZboGdKG
    Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

I would like one of our resident lefties defend this.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I would like one of our resident lefties defend this.
    It's anecdotal. Medved did a show about academia political demographics and it was unremarkable. Basically it appears that whackjobs get our attention but don't define the university. I'm not sure that I buy that and even if I did I see a huge difference between "academic freedom" and some of the stuff we see defended in the name of academic freedom.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's anecdotal. Medved did a show about academia political demographics and it was unremarkable. Basically it appears that whackjobs get our attention but don't define the university. I'm not sure that I buy that and even if I did I see a huge difference between "academic freedom" and some of the stuff we see defended in the name of academic freedom.

If you actually clicked on links, you would have seen that the reason Lopez wrote this article is that another CSUN prof is also being targeted.

There's no defense for treating someone badly because they disagree with you over politics. There's no defense for a group of people to try to drive someone out of their job because you don't like their political views, at least not in the average workplace setting (the exception would be a politician's office).

I work in a field in which the vast majority (90% or more) of my colleagues are liberals. It's sort of the nature of being a social worker for a government agency, but I have had conservative coworkers over the years who don't have any problems getting along with their peers, yet also expressing their views on matters. They sometimes get teased-one of my former coworkers who retired a few years back was a Rush Limbaugh fan, and we all used to gently tease him about it.

Academia is the worst place in the world for a conservative to try and be themselves. If you are in the Math or Science departments, for the most part you are OK but get off into the English, Social Studies or Psyc and you better be a left-of-Klinton voter or keep your mouth completely shut all the time.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There's no defense for treating someone badly because they disagree with you over politics.
    ".. over politics" implies a spectrum of issues of varying consequence. There are several issues that I don't consider "just politics" and I reject the idea that I am supposed to pretend that they are matters of opinion or little consequence. Two members of my family are barely speaking to me at this point because I simply will not let their positions on the Second Amendment and Stand Your Ground go unchallenged. Both of them have adopted conformist positions to fit into two different circles (coastal California and Chevy Chase DC) tossing aside logic, the constitution, and apparently choose their so-called "friends" over family and country. So fuck them. Would you expect me to tolerate out of a coworker that which I would not tolerate out of family? That would make us very different people.

Whether Godiva is the best chocolate is a matter of opinion. Everything is not a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

Whether Godiva is the best chocolate is a matter of opinion.
    Dove has a smoother creamier texture than Godiva without the bitter overtones, Godiva chocolate connoisseurs can go straight to hell!!!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Academia is the worst place in the world for a conservative to try and be themselves. If you are in the Math or Science departments, for the most part you are OK but get off into the English, Social Studies or Psyc and you better be a left-of-Klinton voter or keep your mouth completely shut all the time.
    I wish I could remember the name of the author and book discussed on Michael Medved recently. He discussed at length the extent to which college campuses are controlled by liberals. Overall, it wasn't what we have come to believe. Unfortunately, the man is no public speaker and between dude-speak, mumbling, and verbal lollygagging including a constant insertion of "um" he was practically unlistenable. I can't imagine how his student stand him for an entire semester.

Speaking of speech patterns: What is up with the news people on talk radio? They sound like someone mocking old fashioned radio newscasters. "Bring-ging you the news, from uh-Sunny Florida, I'm Annnnndrew Steeeewwwart." Between him and Dennis Prager's obnoxious accent Rush Limbaugh is welcome relief. You have to give Rush credit for the best delivery in radio.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There's no defense for treating someone badly because they disagree with you over politics. There's no defense for a group of people to try to drive someone out of their job because you don't like their political views, at least not in the average workplace setting (the exception would be a politician's office).
    Appearently your fellow Liberals...to include the POTUS didn't get that message. Maybe you should tell them.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.