Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sonnabend
    Thread now in GD...thanks Rock

Sonnabend
    Minister lays down the law

There should not be discussions around breakfast tables in the Blue Mountains or in other parts of the state affected by fire today (of) 'What are we going to do today if ...' That should have been done," Emergency Services minister Mike Gallacher said.

"If you don't have a plan, quite simply let me give you one: pack the car now, head down the mountain, come down and enjoy time in the metropolitan area and allow the firefighters the freedom to move through the community to protect your homes."

NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell said firefighters had planned as best they could for Wednesday's potentially devastating conditions.
    Translation: GET THE HELL OUT NOW.

11:16am: Two teenage boys have been caught over the alleged theft of a charity collection box for bushfire victims from a Springwood cafe on Monday.The pair, aged 13 and 15, were stopped by police at Parramatta where they were allegedly caught shopliftting there. At Parramatta police station, officers recognised the pair who fit the description for the charity box theft.They have both been charged with a string of offences and will attend court for the theft of the charity box at a later date Investigations continue and police are confident of identifying further offenders, police said.
    You little #@!%$+&%&!!!!...

The troops gather

3000 firefighters are now ready to go, interstate teams have flown in as well. We helped them a year or so ago, and now they are returning the favour. Word is that when they asked for interstate volunteers to step forward, they were almiost flattened by the number that said "when do we leave". Aussies at their finest.

Updated map

I will keep you apprised.

Let me also repeat: I AM SAFE WHERE I AM so please dont worry. We are well away from the fire zones and in no danger.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 10-23-2013 at 04:31 AM.

It sounds like a real mess Sonna,I will keep you people in my prayers.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Sonnabend
    Rock: we now have a fire fighting force numbering THREE THOUSAND, members from other states have flown in. Three of those ginormous Skycranes are airborne, and they can dump 1000 litres of water at a time. Good news is that most are now under control, bad news is that two new ones have flared up, caused by embers blown by winds up to 100 km / h.

Stockrington Road Fire, Minmi: Watch and act for fire heading towards Minmi and threatening the M1 Motorway. The M1 is closed northbound.- State Mine Fire, Lithgow: Watch-and-act alert for fire burning near the township of Bell, as well as Mt Irvine, McKellars Park, Bilpin, Hartley Vale, Dargan and Clarence.

- Springwood/Faulconbridge: Emergency warning for a fire in the Springwood area which has burned more than 3000 hectares so far.

- Balmoral, Southern Highlands: Watch-and-act alert for a 15,292-hectare fire burning in the Southern Highlands near Yerrinbool, Balmoral, Yanderra, Pheasants Nest, Wilton, Bargo, Buxton, Hill Top, Alpine/Aylmerton and Couridjah.

- Gateshead fire, Lake Macquarie: Emergency warning for a fire burning in the area of Dudley and Redhead.
    Pictures here and here

On a lighter note, our new Prime Minister has told a UN idiot to go pound sand

Abbott hits back at UN

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Tony Abbott has accused a UN official who linked the New South Wales fires to climate change of "talking through her hat" on radio station 3AW. Christiana Figueres, the executive secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, said the NSW bushfires were proof that the world "is already paying the price of carbon", and also criticised the government's direct action policy. Mr Abbott told 3AW "fire is a part of the Australian experience".
    Map of fires on this page

Sonnabend
    An investigation has been launched, as it appears the Defence Dept may have started a fire with a live fire exercise.

THE defence department has reportedly admitted it started the massive State Mine Fire that has been burning around Lithgow and the Blue Mountains.The Seven Network reports that Defence has confirmed to the NSW Rural Fire Service that it started the fire.Premier Barry O'Farrell said he was aware the matter was being investigated."It wouldn't surprise me," he told Seven. On Saturday, Defence said it had launched an investigation into whether the blaze was caused by explosives training which was being carried out on army land at Marrangaroo at the time the fire broke out.
    also

At the same time, authorities confirmed power lines brought down by strong winds were to blame for the devastating Linksview Rd fire in Springwood and Mt York fire at Mount Victoria where 200 of the 208 homes were destroyed.
    So much for the Greenies and their "wobal glorming" panic mongering. Assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    An investigation has been launched, as it appears the Defence Dept may have started a fire with a live fire exercise.

also

So much for the Greenies and their "wobal glorming" panic mongering. Assholes.
    Hope all your stuff is safe.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Sonnabend
    Oh SHIT....

A MOTIONLESS body has reportedly been sighted lying beside the wreckage of a crashed firefighting aircraft. The body was sighted by a rescue helicopter flying over the site of the crash which is surrounded by fire, the Ulladulla Times reports. The aircraft, which was involved in firefighting operations, crashed west of Ulladulla, the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) confirmed earlier today.

Crews, including a rescue helicopter, are still responding to the scene. There are reports a wing snapped off the 802 waterbomber aircraft before the crash, according to the ABC. It is believed only one person was on board, the Times reports.

Sonnabend
    I am happy to report that for now, the emergency is over. The death toll stands at two, a pilot and a homeowner, who died of a heart attack defending his home. The fires that remain are on advice status, meaning that they are more or less under control, or about to be "mopped up".

It is estimated that over 100,000 hectares of land have been obliterated, the true assessment of this fire's path of destruction will take time.

For now, we wait.