Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    If anyone wonders why that professor came to the conclusion he did...here is Exhibit A.
    I'll assume I'm Exhibit C.

Do enlighten us as to what most tea party members are like? Do most of them want Creation "science" taught in schools or would most be okay with Creationism being taught as let's say ideology? Is it something else? Do enlighten us. No, seriously. I don't have time to sit in on Republican meetings and freak the members who know me out anymore.

I'll admit it-I'm a liberal who doesn't understand science beyond the basics of biology and physics. It's connected to my math disability-once science classes reach a certain level, they involve a lot of math, and I'm not good at it. Especially things like standard deviances and other statistics.

I do trust actual scientists to a certain degree. I actually tried to read this really difficult book and got lost once it left the areas of art and psychology, subjects of which I can follow in-depth discussion. Once it got totally into the neurology, I was lost. I did get the overall theory of the author, that our brain influences how we interpret what our eyes see to a degree most don't realize.

Or, as Blake put it, "The eye sees more than the heart knows".

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Exhibit B.
    I'm looking at the article right now.

Both science literacy and CRT have been shown to correlate negatively with religiosity. And there is, in turns out, a modest negative correlation (r = -0.26, p < 0.01) between the composite science comprehension measure and a religiosity scale formed by aggregating church attendance, frequency of prayer, and self-reported "importance of God" in the respondents' lives.

The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending.

But if you do, then maybe you'll find this interesting. The dataset happened to have an item in it that asked respondents if they considered themselves "part of the Tea Party movement." Nineteen percent said yes.

It turns out that there is about as strong a correlation between scores on the science comprehension scale and identifying with the Tea Party as there is between scores on the science comprehension scale and Conservrepub.

Except that it has the opposite sign: that is, identifying with the Tea Party correlates positively (r = 0.05, p = 0.05) with scores on the science comprehension measure:

Again, the relationship is trivially small, and can't possibly be contributing in any way to the ferocious conflicts over decision-relevant science that we are experiencing.

"Trivially small". Yesterday on Rush Limbaugh week in review, Rush said "small" but felt the need to add "significant and highly substantive" as if it were part of the professor's findings.

Personally, I don't find it surprising. The bit about creation mythology is somewhat irrelevant, as Joseph Campbell explained, for most people the mythology is a metaphor for understanding, not a concrete belief. They can go to church on Sunday and read about Noah and leave with no mental conflict whatsoever due their scientific POV that the story did not possibly happen but that there was indeed a great flood even if the details don't match up.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Like the myth of being born gay.

NOT a science.
    Clever!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    . They can go to church on Sunday and read about Noah and leave with no mental conflict whatsoever due their scientific POV that the story did not possibly happen but that there was indeed a great flood even if the details don't match up.
    The Black Sea Deluge is my favorite theory.

Hell's bells!!!

Would love to but can't ... will be back in a couple of weeks!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Hell's bells!!!

But can't ... will be back in a couple of weeks!
    Where you going woman?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Where you going woman?
    If you must know ...

Leaving my hubby for the guy from the heating company that came this morning to check out our furnace/AC unit for the winter. Such a hunk!

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    If you must know ...

Leaving my hubby for the guy from the heating company that came this morning to check out our furnace/AC unit for the winter. Such a hunk!
    He will never keep up with you, you will just use him up and toss him aside like an out of date cell phone.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Hugs Rock ...

You crazy dingbat, you!!!

Outta here, til I get back.

=========================================
    We now return control of this thread to the serious posters in here.
    =========================================