Thread: Frantic Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Frantic Friday 
    Power CUer
    There's a lot to do today - finishing a project for work, doing laundry, and getting packed up for the trek to the beach tomorrow. NO computer is going with me. I don't want to see one for awhile.
    Library Lady graciously agreed to take the Friday thread for me next week.

It's in the low fifties this morning, and will warm up to the low seventies. Perfect weather.

TOTD: There seem to be articles everywhere now about "how to cut back", and get one's spending in line. Apparently we've all been such high-end consumers for so long, we've forgotten economies.
    What are some of your favorite economies? I love to cook, and I love "comfort food" - that means cuts of meat that can be braised for awhile, and become very tender. I love oxtail soup, for example. Last night we had short ribs, with garlic and tomatoes. It smelled heavenly and tasted great.

We had gone to Price Club (Costco) and stocked up on meat and chicken for the freezer; as we were packaging it at home I did the math and found that each dinner cost about four dollars. My husband said, "You mean each person, right?" I said no, each DINNER. If the stuff weren't edible I wouldn't do it, but it was perfectly fine. A few stock up trips like that a year are all the two of us need to do.

So, what are some pleasant, or at least painless, ways you save money?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Have a great time "beaching it," Linda. I wouldn't miss the computer...all I need a good book or two! ;)

TOTD: Well, we do pretty well stretching our food dollars, I think. Shannon is the undisputed Coupon Queen and we usually look for bargains and try to pick up stuff on sale, BOGO items (Buy 1 Get 1 Free) and save money that way (two of the supermarkets we shop at usually have good BOGOs and one in particular normally has good BOGO sales on meat)...and since we both grew up with frugal parents, we aren't spoiled. Of course in these economically challenging times, we don't eat out much and can prepare a fairly good meal (with leftovers for another day...we both love leftovers, the Brat not so much) for around 10 bucks. Do the math, especially if that lasts TWO meals. Years ago, I used to buy my lunch at work and eventually I DID the math on that....I've been a proud "brown bagger" for the past 5 years. My lunch probably costs me around 1.50, 1.75 a day. Maybe less.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Banned
    "Frantic Friday," eh! Could be Susanna Hoffs' comeback. :D Sunny and bright in southern New England.

TOTD: I'm not sure. Never been to a Costco, never done coupons. My ex-wife used to go through phases where she did clip coupons and then she'd get over it. I remember as a kid my parents collecting Green Stamps.

I cook a lot of soups that last 2 meals, but simply because I love soup. I'm horrible, however, at portions and most of the meals I cook, we end up tossing 1/3 of it as I cook too much (we rarely eat leftovers, other than the soups). If it's suitable, the cats often get that treat.

I'm actually not very good at "cutting back." If I have the discretionary cash, I spend it. If I don't have it, I don't spend it.

Power CUer
    I didn't really expect you to say that you economize by switching to Cutty Sark, CW. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I didn't really expect you to say that you economize by switching to Cutty Sark, CW. :p
    CUTTY SARK!!! :eek: :eek: One might as well drink bourbon.

Power CUer
    That's harsh. I like good bourbon almost as well as single malt scotch.

This will be the last summer-style day for a while but that's okay. I'll get one more week before we get in gear and pack the yard up. I'm enjoying listening to all the blow-back from the debate last night. I'll listen to it online today and get back up to speed.

TOTD: We're pretty thrifty or CHEAP, as I like to call it. I'm big on planning ahead when it comes to the food budget. I have a lot of freezer space and I use it. I watch the ads every week and I buy the loss leaders at a couple of stores. Since we don't eat much preprocessed or packaged foods, I can spend most of the money on meat, veggies, and dairy.

We both take a sack lunch most of the time and I plan leftovers with that in mind. Like CW, we eat a lot of soup in the fall and winter simply because we like it but it's very inexpensive. I buy paper goods, dog chewies, and some frozen foods in bulk at Sam's Club. My main grocery store is a natural foods place and I can buy a lot of things like rice, flour, nuts, and pasta in bulk. We eat out about once a week and hardly ever order pizza or pick up fast food so that cuts down on expenses.

I'm one of those annoying Crunchy Conservatives so I reuse, repair, and rehab stuff. There is pretty much nothing that Mr. Snaps can't fix or install. I don't have a problem with buying clothing from a consignment shop or buying tools or equipment used. We go to the matinée when we see movies. I've never been in retail therapy so I'm not a recreational shopper. We only use one credit card and we pay it off every month. We both have an allowance for walking around money.

This isn't to say that I don't have expensive vices. I wear ridiculously expensive socks since I like to knit them. I blow a lot of money on books. I blow money on fabric, yarn, and sewing equipment. I even buy special bird food for the wild birds, if you can believe it. :p

Power CUer
    The economies do leave room for splurges.... I just started a sweater for my husband (all honeycomb cables), in a beautiful Chilean yarn that's a blend of merino, alpaca, and silk. It's the most expensive yarn I've ever used, so I'm going very slowly and carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The economies do leave room for splurges.... I just started a sweater for my husband (all honeycomb cables), in a beautiful Chilean yarn that's a blend of merino, alpaca, and silk. It's the most expensive yarn I've ever used, so I'm going very slowly and carefully.
    If these people knew what we spent on yarn, their heads would explode. Sometimes my head explodes over it. :D

Power CUer
    It's like crack, only fluffier. :)