Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I honestly can't stand Maher, he is a total bigot, and constantly on the lookout for new ways to reveal what a heartless, insensitive little weasel he is. Here's hoping "Religulous" crashes and burns at the box office.
    Oh, and megimoo, you made a slight mistake in your article: The ad for the movie didn't use monkeys, it used chimpanzees. There's a difference.

American Carol beat Religulous but BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA beat them All!!:D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    I honestly can't stand Maher, he is a total bigot, and constantly on the lookout for new ways to reveal what a heartless, insensitive little weasel he is. Here's hoping "Religulous" crashes and burns at the box office.
    Oh, and megimoo, you made a slight mistake in your article: The ad for the movie didn't use monkeys, it used chimpanzees. There's a difference.
    It seems to be doing OK. American Carol beat it out slightly in the weekend earnings, but played on 3 times the amount of theaters. Seems like its doing well compared to the 'Expelled' documentary from a while back as well. We'll see how it does in the long run..

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...comparison.php

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    The founders weren't omniscient. And on this subject Washington is clearly wrong. Religion is not necessary for morality or democracy.
    Yes it is.

Any right given to man by man can be taken away by man.

If people believe that God is the ultimate authority, and has granted man inalienable rights, than NO MAN has the authority to take away those rights.

By undermining religion and God, liberals and atheists undermine the very foundations of our freedoms.

This is what the whole "we are endowed by our creator with certain unalienable rights " thingy is all about.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Yes it is.

If people believe that God is the ultimate authority, and has granted man inalienable rights, than NO MAN has the authority to take away those rights.

By undermining religion and God, liberals and atheists undermine the very foundations of our freedoms.

This is what the whole "we are endowed by our creator with certain unalienable rights " thingy is all about.
    Not having the authority to take away rights has never impeded evil people, including some of religious persuasion, from taking away the rights of others.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I agree with author Sam Harris and his goal of promoting conversational intolerance of religious/dogmatic belief.

To that end, I like the fact that movies like this are getting made and well-received in some circles, or at least not all together poorly received... but I don't trust Maher to actually put forth a good case for atheism/non-religiousness.. he just really isnt great at building a case and arguing for anything. He is a nutcase... quite the anti-thesis of rationality.. his beliefs are more religious than not.
    Well, one shouldn't need a good case to argue against religion or the belief in a god but I guess having one helps.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Well, one shouldn't need a good case to argue against religion or the belief in a god but I guess having one helps.
    What are your plans when on your death bed ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    What are your plans when on your death bed ?
    When I'm near death, I'm going to get on my knees and beg for salvation. With any luck, I'll avoid space prison and proceed straight to spending eternity on my knees in servile worship of a cosmic tyrant who demands love and fear... because that's so much better than space prison.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 10-07-2008 at 12:22 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Yes it is.

All one has to do is convince others of an alternate interpretation of the vague words of their chosen holy book... and poof, your inalienable rights have just vanished. It happens all the time. There are over 30,000 Christian denominations and who knows how many other religions with numerous sects underneath each. God should have more specific. Personally, I would rather build moral frameworks on something not so volatile.

By arguing for an empirical basis for morality, atheists (humanists more specifically) help give morality a solid, unassailable foundation, instead of leaving it to the house of cards that is belief in God... built upon the often vague, nonsensical, primitive, and sometimes savage whims of 2000+ year old sheep herders.
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-06-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    When I'm near death, I'm going to get on my knees and beg for salvation. With any luck, I'll avoid space prison and proceed straight to spending eternity on my knees in servile worship of a cosmic tyrant who demands love and fear... because that's so much better than space prison.
    I feel so bad for you. If there is a God as I and others believe, your disbelief and disrespect will not go well for you. A God who allows you to chose freely your eternity isn't a tyrant.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand