Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Letterman Continues Toddler-Style Ranting Over McCain No-Show. 
    Letterman keeps up McCain tirade

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Letterman kept up his verbal assault on John McCain, commiserating with Paris Hilton and saying he felt like an "ugly date" because the GOP presidential candidate backed out of an appearance on the "Late Show."

David Letterman described Paris Hilton as John McCain's first choice for a running mate.

The late-night CBS comedian was upset Wednesday when McCain canceled an appearance to deal with the economic crisis.

After backing out of the Letterman show, McCain sat for an interview with Katie Couric, then didn't leave New York until Thursday, further angering Letterman.

At first, Letterman said, he felt like a "patriot" to let McCain off.

"Now I'm feeling like an ugly date," Letterman said. "I feel used. I feel cheap. I feel sullied."

McCain spokeswoman Nicolle Wallace said the campaign "felt this wasn't a night for comedy."

"We deeply regret offending Mr. Letterman, but our candidate's priority at this moment is to focus on this crisis," Wallace said Thursday on NBC's "Today."

Later Thursday, Letterman banged away at McCain in his opening monologue.

"You're here on a good night," he told the audience. "So far none of our guests have canceled."

He talked about daredevil David Blaine's feat of hanging upside-down in New York's Central Park for 60 hours.

"They just left the guy hanging there," he said. "It's the same thing McCain did to me last night."

He described Hilton -- Thursday's guest whose celebrity was once used in a McCain campaign ad to mock Democrat Barack Obama -- as McCain's first choice for a running mate.

"Here's how it works: You don't come to see me? You don't come to see me? Well, we might not see you on Inauguration Day," Letterman said.
    I have never watched this guy or any of the other late night talkers but he's been whining about this for several days now and he looks like an idiot. Letterman is an comic - not a king-maker. Virtually anything is more important than appearing on his show. Who watches this stuff?

CNN

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Who watches this stuff?
    DU........................

4.7 million viewers and five Emmys in a row - doubt he cares.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Nightline Beats Letterman Last Week and For Q3
    Now we know why David Letterman really wanted John McCain on his show last night. ABC just announced that Nightline beat Letterman again last week and it also topped the Late Show in Total Viewers and the A25-54 demo for the third quarter.

It's the first time in nine years Nightline has outperformed CBS in the demo for the quarter. Nightline comes in second, behind the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

For the week of September 15, Nightline outperformed Letterman by 470,000 Total Viewers and by 170,000 A25-54 viewers. It was the fourth straight week Nightline has beaten Letterman.

For the third quarter, 2008:
    Show Network A25-54 Total Viewers
    Tonight Show NBC 1.97M 4.63M
    Nightline ABC 1.41M 3.06M
    Late Show CBS 1.30M 2.94M
    Where do you get your "facts"?

Power CUer
    Virtually anything is more important than appearing on his show. Who watches this stuff?
    Don't look at me. I'm usually asleep by ten o'clock. I haven't even seen SNL since about 1988.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Don't look at me. I'm usually asleep by ten o'clock. I haven't even seen SNL since about 1988.
    Well, me too. That's probably true for most people with jobs. I always used to think that these late shows were for retirees with insomnia.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I always used to think that these late shows were for retirees with insomnia.
    Or drunken college kids.

(cheap bastards)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady
    Where do you get your "facts"?
    The same place every lib does:

GenerateMeSomeLiesPlease.com

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Or drunken college kids.
    Were too busy drinking.