Thread: The US Male

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The US Male 
    Maybe Eyesore can learn something from this.

The US Male

When I was a kid, the men in my life were straight-spoken, hard-working characters with sun ripened faces and calloused hands. They got up early, drank coffee and ate a big breakfast before they headed out to another day of giving their bosses a days labor for a day's wages.

Their favorite pastime was hunting and fishing, and they did business with one another on a handshake. They honored the flag, and took care of their families come hell or high water.

There was a time in my life when I had never met a man who didn't believe in God. They believed that if you raise up a child in the way that he should go when he was old, he would not depart from it, and they taught their children right from wrong, taught them to respect other people and their property.

They were honest and would no more cheat a person than they would call in sick to work when there was nothing wrong with them.

They were male in the truest sense of the word. Unabashed masculine he-men with hard muscles and rough beards who stood up for what they believed in, even if they were the last ones standing.

I miss those guys. What ever happened to the American male? There are still a few around but for the most part Americans have been convinced that there's something wrong with being a real man.

It was a sad day for mankind when the word unisex crept into our vocabulary. Men and women are different because God intended them to be different.

Now before you cherry pickers try to twist what I'm saying, let me tell you that I am in no way belittling the fairer sex. Women are perfectly capable of running corporations, serving in the military, competing in the arts and the market place and I am a total advocate of equal pay for equal work. Some of my most valued and responsible employees are women and they run the biggest part of my professional life.

But too many men nowadays are wimpy and mealy-mouthed, afraid of speaking their true opinions, willing to sit on the sidelines with a let-somebody-else-do-it attitude, shying away from responsibility and involvement.

In my opinion a man who will not support the children he helped to bring into this world is not a man at all and neither is a man who physically abuses his wife.

When I talk about real men, I am not speaking about the mislead individuals who think they have to present an implacable facade of toughness and bravado 24-7. The strongest men I have ever known in my life were all able to shed tears, to pity the unfortunate, never take advantage of a weaker person, they practiced charity and restraint and were capable of great tenderness.

I just don't have much in common with the politically correct, soap opera watching, Perrier and lime-sipping bunch.

Give me a good-hearted redneck, preferably one who drives a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a winch on the front bumper, and a Dale Jr. sticker on the back bumper, with rifle racks in the back window, and a big trailer hitch for pulling his bass rig to the lake.

Now, me and him will get along just fine.

What do you think?

Pray for our troops

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Charlie describes me pretty well there.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dixierat View Post
    Charlie describes me pretty well there.

This pretty well sums me up.
    "Simple Man"

I ain't nothin' but a simple man
    They call me a redneck I reckon that I am
    But there's things going on
    That make me mad down to the core.

I have to work like a dog to make ends meet
    There's crooked politicians and crime in the street
    And I'm madder'n hell and I ain't gonna take it no more.

We tell our kids to just say no
    Then some panty waist judge lets a drug dealer go
    Slaps him on the wrist and then he turns him back out on the town.

Now if I had my way with people sellin' dope
    I'd take a big tall tree and a short piece of rope
    I'd hang 'em up high and let 'em swing 'til the sun goes down

Well, you know what's wrong with the world today
    People done gone and put their Bible's away
    They're living by the law of the jungle not the law of the land
    The good book says it so I know it's the truth
    An eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man.

Now I'm the kinda man that'd not harm a mouse
    But if I catch somebody breakin in my house
    I've got twelve guage shotgun waiting on the other side

So don't go pushing me against my will
    I don't want to have to fight you but I dern sure will
    So if you don't want trouble then you'd better just pass me on by

As far as I'm concerned there ain't no excuse
    For the raping and the killing and the child abuse
    And I've got a way to put an end to all that mess

Just take them rascals out in the swamp
    Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump
    Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest

You know what's wrong with the world today
    People done gone and put their Bible's away
    They're living by the law of the jungle not the law of the land
    The Good Book says it so I know it's the truth
    An eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    This pretty well sums me up.

That and 'Long Haired Country Boy' kinda covers the bases for me.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dixierat View Post
    That and 'Long Haired Country Boy' kinda covers the bases for me.

Charlie's Soapbox is a great editorial piece. I try to read it when I can. Some great open letters over the years.

The day that the first straight American man submitted to a chest waxing that was not part of a bar bet was a sad day for our country. :(

Banned
    Give me a good-hearted redneck, preferably one who drives a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a winch on the front bumper, and a Dale Jr. sticker on the back bumper, with rifle racks in the back window, and a big trailer hitch for pulling his bass rig to the lake.
    Plenty of those still around and most of them are complete wastes of life. Great when I have a clog in my shower though... just wish they would learn to wear deodorant.

noonwitch
    I grew up in a home with a mom who held most of the power. She was forever trying to get my dad to improve himself-wear more stylish clothes, clean up his language, wear some kind of aftershave other than Old Spice, read poetry, "talk about his feelings", stop drinking, and so on.

They got divorced the year that otherwise would have been their 25th anniversary.

It's never good in a marriage with children to let one parent assume all the power. My grandparents had a more of a power-sharing relationship, in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Plenty of those still around and most of them are complete wastes of life. Great when I have a clog in my shower though... just wish they would learn to wear deodorant.
    And you'd as soon eat a shit sandwich than say that to his face.

Banned
    And you'd as soon eat a shit sandwich than say that to his face.
    Hmm maybe. Depends on the person. Either way you could always write an insult on a sign, and they wouldn't be able to read it. Could tell them it said "Northerners are commies" and they'd stand right by me drawing as much attention to it as possible.