Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I've met militant leftists over the years. I'd hear their ideas of what they wanted done with people who aren't like them and it was unreal. I don't think that Nova's much of one if at all. I think I did debate him a while back about the businesses catering to gay couples stuff. I was gearing up to be told to go fuck myself, but he didn't do that. He hasn't put me down for having a different opinion and to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't leaked crucial information about anybody. If Nova's your idea of a militant leftist, then I'm going to guess you don't know any real ones. I can show you some real ones if you like (and I don't necessarily mean DU, it gets worse).
    You're really going to debate whether or not Ody knows what a militant leftist is?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    You're really going to debate whether or not Ody knows what a militant leftist is?
    Are you suggesting some familial history of same?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I've met militant leftists over the years. I'd hear their ideas of what they wanted done with people who aren't like them and it was unreal. I don't think that Nova's much of one if at all. I think I did debate him a while back about the businesses catering to gay couples stuff. I was gearing up to be told to go fuck myself, but he didn't do that. He hasn't put me down for having a different opinion and to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't leaked crucial information about anybody. If Nova's your idea of a militant leftist, then I'm going to guess you don't know any real ones. I can show you some real ones if you like (and I don't necessarily mean DU, it gets worse).
    Nova is militant about gay rights, and his solution to those who disagree with him is to label them as "bigots" and use the apparatus of the state to persecute them.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Are you suggesting some familial history of same?
    Well, I do come from a family of New York Jewish intellectuals, some of whom were sixties radicals, and some of whom still are. So, yeah, I do have some familial history of radical leftists.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Well, I do come from a family of New York Jewish intellectuals, some of whom were sixties radicals, and some of whom still are. So, yeah, I do have some familial history of radical leftists.
    Joan Baez reportedly said that had her parents been hippies she probably would have joined The Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Joan Baez reportedly said that had her parents been hippies she probably would have joined The Marines.
    I'd heard that, but I doubt that she meant it. It's one of those stories, like Hillary claiming to have tried to join the Marines after college, that celebrities and politicians tell when they want to try to appeal to someone outside of their immediate circle of lemmings.

In my case, I wasn't rebelling. I didn't become a Republican until several years after I joined the army, and I didn't join the army until after college. My parents were Reagan Democrats, as was I, but I became more conservative as I spent more time outside of the bubble of NYC. My parents, who moved to the Village after they sold the house that I grew up in, gradually found themselves acclimating to the leftward tilt of their neighbors while I began seeing the consequences of the left's ideologies first hand.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!