Hybrid View

1. #1 Who Earns More: Professor or Fry Cook? 
    Fun article by a history professor who realized that it took him 25 years to finally make more than he would have made at McDonalds.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversat...r-or-fry-cook/

...I’m a tenured professor of history of science and mathematics at the University of Texas at Austin. I finished high school 25 years ago. What if instead of attending college I had worked at McDonald’s?

The company brags about opportunities for promotion. Many managers started as cashiers. So suppose I worked five years as a cashier, five as shift manager, 10 as assistant manager, and, after a total of 20 years, became a manager.

In 1988 a cashier earning federal minimum wage, $3.35, working 40-hour weeks, earned $6,968—just above the poverty level. Suppose I got a raise of 10 cents hourly each year, except when minimum wage increased. I’d earn just $39,936 in five years as a cashier.

Those are gross figures, unadjusted for inflation. You can make different assumptions, but consider this simple scenario.

Promoted to shift manager, I’d earn $59,984 over five years. Next, as assistant manager’s earnings would still be low: just $22,672 in 2003, when the National Average Wage Index was $34,065. Working 10 long years as an assistant manager, I’d earn $225,888. With minimal raises, as restaurant manager I’d gross $227,517 in five years.

McDonald’s gives some employee benefits. One meal per shift, say, 250 meals per year, amounts to $28,125 in 25 years.

Total: $581,450, before deductions for Social Security, Medicare, income taxes, and so on.

What about my real earnings?

As a student and postdoc, I worked several jobs: in computer graphics, tutoring Spanish, residence-hall staff, assistant at a labor library, waiter in two restaurants, editor, and washing dishes at a co-op. In those part-time jobs, I grossed $54,714, counting housing and meals at dorms and the co-op. Plus, I was a teaching assistant in seven courses, grossing $23,333.

I was a postdoc at the Smithsonian, MIT, Harvard, Boston University, and Caltech. My fellowships totaled $171,555, including funds later from the University of Texas.

I taught at Caltech followed by eight years at UT: instructor, lecturer, assistant professor and associate professor, grossing $420,786. Plus payments for talks, television appearances, book reviews: $7,290. I published four books and a teaching manual: $24,324 in royalties.

The running total is $702,002. I also received scholarships from the University of Puerto Rico, Vassar College, New York University, and the University of Minnesota, totaling $51,235—all put toward tuition bills. But the total costs of tuition were $68,221, so subtract the difference. Or subtract my student loans: $45,000 during two years at NYU. And 10 and a half years in Puerto Rico, New York, and Minnesota, all requiring tuition, university fees, books, supplies, computers, printing fees: about $2,500 per year, so subtract $26,250. Also, I moved to distant cities to continue as student and postdoc; roughly $1,300, seven times.

My total gross: $621,652. That’s it—25 years in universities, including nine part-time jobs. Annual average gross income: $24,866.

McDonald’s suggests that employees find a second job.

Since I did not take that into account, we should not count my income from jobs that were outside of universities. If so, my academic earnings were $609,413.

Compare that with $581,450 at McDonald’s.

Predictably, I earned more as a professor than I might have made as an employee at McDonald’s. What is really surprising is that it took me 25 years to do so....

He's assuming that he'd get promoted to shift manager. That's a big assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He's assuming that he'd get promoted to shift manager. That's a big assumption.
    That's right. Chances are, he'd still be lifting the fries out of the grease after 25 years.