Thread: Rev. Jesse Jackson says Ronald Reagan wanted to ban blacks from playing football

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think it's a stretch to say that Reagan and Goldwater wanted to ban black athletes from the NCAA or from any professional sport. For one thing, by the time Reagan was President, black athletes were prominent in the NCAA, including southern teams, and in all professional sports except perhaps the NHL.

As far as Goldwater was concerned, according to the documentary his daughter made about him, he was totally committed to ending racism, just not by using legislation to do so. It wasn't the Civil Rights act that caused black players to enter the MLB, NFL, NBA and NCAA sports, it was the talent of the athletes involved that brought those barriers down. The MLB, for example, couldn't ignore the talent of Jackie Robinson. The US Olympic team couldn't ignore the talent of Jesse Owens.

If the barriers hadn't come down long before Michael Jordan was drafted by the Bulls, they would have for him. No one before or after him will ever play the game the way he did. I'm saying this and I'm a Bad Boys, 80s Pistons' fan.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think it's a stretch to say that Reagan and Goldwater wanted to ban black athletes from the NCAA or from any professional sport. For one thing, by the time Reagan was President, black athletes were prominent in the NCAA, including southern teams, and in all professional sports except perhaps the NHL.

As far as Goldwater was concerned, according to the documentary his daughter made about him, he was totally committed to ending racism, just not by using legislation to do so. It wasn't the Civil Rights act that caused black players to enter the MLB, NFL, NBA and NCAA sports, it was the talent of the athletes involved that brought those barriers down. The MLB, for example, couldn't ignore the talent of Jackie Robinson. The US Olympic team couldn't ignore the talent of Jesse Owens.

If the barriers hadn't come down long before Michael Jordan was drafted by the Bulls, they would have for him. No one before or after him will ever play the game the way he did. I'm saying this and I'm a Bad Boys, 80s Pistons' fan.
    Goldwater, in addition to being a politician, was a WWII fighter pilot, and when he returned from combat, he established and commanded the Arizona Air National Guard, standing up the 197th Fighter Squadron. At his direction as commander, the Arizona ANG was desegregated in 1947, two years before Truman desegregated the rest of the armed forces. To claim that Goldwater favored segregation, as Jackson has, is a slander.

Jackson similarly slandered Reagan. Writing in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/op...nnon.html?_r=0), Lou Cannon debunks the myth of Reagan as racist:

Any fair-minded look at Mr. Reagan’s biography and record demonstrates that he was not a bigot. In 1931, when Mr. Reagan was on the Eureka College football team, two black players were refused admission to a hotel in Elmhurst, Ill., where the team was playing. Mr. Reagan took them with him to Dixon, Ill., to spend the night at his parents’ home. He and one of the players, William Franklin Burghardt, remained friends and correspondents until Mr. Burghardt died in 1981.

As a sports announcer in Iowa in the 1930s, Mr. Reagan opposed the segregation of Major League Baseball. As an actor in Hollywood he quit a Los Angeles country club because it did not admit Jews. In 1978, when preparing to run for president, Mr. Reagan opposed a California ballot initiative that would have barred homosexuals from teaching in the state’s public schools. He was widely credited for its defeat.

Jackson says these things because he is a partisan Democrat whose highest standard is partisan victory, not truth. He is also a serial liar who has embezzled money from his own charities in order to pay off his mistress and who was driven out of the SCLC for ripping off Operation Breadbasket. He has no conscience, and his statements reflect this.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

You can't be serious. MLB ignored talented black players for decades.