1. #1 As A Vet I Don't Take My Countrymen Seriously When They Say Thank You. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Looks like someone is going for "Dick of The Year" award...

Tue Nov 5, 2013, 01:34 AM
    TheMastersNemesis

As A Vet I Don't Take My Countrymen Seriously When They Say Thank You.

I know it is only lip service and that I wasted my time when I served in the military. American voters rarely put their money where their mouth is. My advice to younger people is to STAY OUT OF THE MILITARY AND REFUSE TO SERVE IF THERE EVER IS A DRAFT. Only suckers serve now. Because the public will never pay to take care of you if you are disabled. I see no outrage about vets losing their food stamps or other benefits.

The fact that our present veterans are coming back to jobs in places like Walmart and Krispy Kreme donuts who do not even want a minimum wage is a travesty. Seeing all these vets losing food stamp money they need should tell the story of where the POS nation is now. And we keep voting in GOPPERS who actually are doing all the cuts.

And when I hear the VFW and American Legion I just want to puke all over these fascists. They have done nothing for the vets in years. And they deserve to die as institutions. Newer vets would be better to avoid those antiquated institutions. All they know how to do is get drunk and wave the flag.

Based on what I see happening to this country we have little left to defend thanks to the Republikkklan party. And there are some Dems who are no better. We call them moderates.

Now that veteran's day is near there will be a few freebies and people will wave the flag to make themselves feel good. Then they will go back to being a bunch of selfish, wasteful, ignorant bastards they have become.

We don't even acknowledge the vets who continue to die in Afghanistan anymore.

Is there a holiday coming up??? Oh yeah, Nov. 11th.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Or maybe just the internet bad-ass of the day.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

So much hate.

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Original post)

Tue Nov 5, 2013, 01:40 AM

Star Member SheilaT (13,566 posts)

1. As a non vet,

(as if my opinion even matters here) I often feel that thanking a vet for their service is the height of hypocrisy. Sometimes it is a sentiment well meant. But too often, as you've pointed out, it's only lip service.

And I'll be honest. As someone who thinks our overseas involvements are wrong, wrong, wrong, I personally can't find it in my to thank someone for a service I don't think should have happened.

However, I do feel that any and all injuries or health consequences of that service should be totally paid for.
    Skittles (90,387 posts)

3. I send care packages to troops in Afghanistan

but otherwise I hear you

One DUmmie appreciates the thanks.

Star Member pecwae (7,885 posts)

70. Don't stop doing it.

A few may take offense (it's a topic that comes up regularly; seems it's cool to think folks don't mean what they say), but I seriously doubt the majority of vets do. I certainly don't. I appreciate the acknowledgement. I try to take people at their word and not waste effort on determining the sinister meaning behind "Thank You"

I'm waiting for some " vet " on DU to say he wanted to run across the battlefield and join the Taliban.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

He might not like the thanks, but I'll bet if someone told him thanks, and offered to buy him lunch, he'd change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    I'm waiting for some " vet " on DU to say he wanted to run across the battlefield and join the Taliban.
    I'm still waiting for positive proof this DUmmy actually served.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    Well, they say that they are vets, but they don't say which side they fought on...

There've been times when the "thank you" rings hollow to me, too. After the last presidential election, people who I knew had voted for Obama that thanked me for my service struck me as either hypocritical or naive. They'd just voted for a guy who had abandoned Iraq, left Americans to die in Benghazi, was cutting the military to the marrow and was openly hostile to our values. I wanted to tell them that they could thank me by voting for someone who wouldn't destroy what we'd fought for, but that would have been highly inappropriate.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Well, they say that they are vets, but they don't say which side they fought on...

There've been times when the "thank you" rings hollow to me, too. After the last presidential election, people who I knew had voted for Obama that thanked me for my service struck me as either hypocritical or naive. They'd just voted for a guy who had abandoned Iraq, left Americans to die in Benghazi, was cutting the military to the marrow and was openly hostile to our values. I wanted to tell them that they could thank me by voting for someone who wouldn't destroy what we'd fought for, but that would have been highly inappropriate.
    RACIST!!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

That's ok DUmbass. As a vet, whenever a DUmbass like yourself claims to be a vet, I don't take them seriously and think they are lying their useless asses off.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    This guy reads like your Jesse Macbeth, Rick Duncan or Ward Reilly.

These names sound familiar? They are all poser, or people who served like Ward Reilly, but then hype their service in ways that are fake so they can protest the military.

They had no love for the military going in, or believed they would be the next John Rambo hero only to learn it was hard and non-gratifying labor unlike what the envisioned.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009