Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have the solution!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Power CUer
    According to the CDC, 35.7% of Americans are obese. That makes obese America the single largest "minority" in the country.

Considering the courts are upending marriage law for 1% of the population, and the government revolutionized health insurance for 16.3% (uninsured) of the country, perhaps the law should require that airlines make accommodations for 35.7% of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    According to the CDC, 35.7% of Americans are obese. That makes obese America the single largest "minority" in the country.

Considering the courts are upending marriage law for 1% of the population, and the government revolutionized health insurance for 16.3% (uninsured) of the country, perhaps the law should require that airlines make accommodations for 35.7% of the population.
    The term obese is not used like it used to be, what was once considered overweight has been lumped in with obese. This not only takes the spotlight away from the real problem facing people who are obese, it causes overweight people to ignore the medical community for crying wolf. Obese was always reserved for people so extremely overweight they had trouble functioning and often had limited mobility.
    The health community needs to quit acting like melodramatic jackasses and call things what they are.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The term obese is not used like it used to be, what was once considered overweight has been lumped in with obese. This not only takes the spotlight away from the real problem facing people who are obese, it causes overweight people to ignore the medical community for crying wolf. Obese was always reserved for people so extremely overweight they had trouble functioning and often had limited mobility.
    The health community needs to quit acting like melodramatic jackasses and call things what they are.
    Here is what obesity means to the CDC:

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Here is what obesity means to the CDC:

BMI is one of the most useless measures when trying to ascertain the health impact of body weight.

I would have been considered obese 20 years ago when I was 5'9" - 205 lbs...and about 5% body fat.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

500 pounds? It came from something and it wasn't air. I have to be careful how much I eat because my system wastes nothing, I have a feeling this guy does not eat like a sparrow, there are laws of physics to take into consideration also.
    He may very well have some hormone problems but this is our way with everything here now, nothing is a choice, it never is your own fault.

I have the mean gene and am not responsible for anything I typed (except stuff people like of course).
    I agree. Something has to get converted into calories for the body to process, whether normally or not. There has to be a correlation between the volume of food consumed and said calories being converted to fat by whatever means.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Fabulous Poster
    I have a feeling this guy does not eat like a sparrow,
    Since we're dealing with an undefined quantity it's difficult to say whether he does or doesn't. As a rule, a person must consume 10 calories per pound of body weight to maintain his weight. That presumes a normal amount of physical exertion in the course of a day. When you throw in a medical disorder and the eventual cessation of activity then pretty much normal food consumption will indeed maintain the extreme weight. That's when you need to go on a medifast VLC (very low calorie) diet to induce rapid weight loss to make physical effort possible. The problem is that ALL drastic weight reduction methods can cause medical complications because you are inducing malnutrition.

I think there is something else going on here. He doesn't look immobile and yet he uses the scooter. Being on oxygen is rather unusual for a 22 year old of any weight, and again, 500 lbs isn't really the limit of the human body. There are extremely fat people easily observed at Walmart on any given night. I see a handful of them using the electric shopping cart and I want to gently tell them "If you don't get out of that scooter you probably won't be able to someday."

When I wanted to lose weight, I started by walking around the block, then two blocks, and before long I was walking around the town. Then I pulled my bike out of the garage and did the same thing: two miles, four miles, ten miles, the next thing you know I bought a better bike and I was riding to Clearwater and back. Of course, if you really aren't well enough to walk one block, then it's really hard to get started but I learned in hospitals in my teens that recovery starts by walking from one end of the hall to the other and back.

Had this person been a peasant born a couple hundred or more years ago he would be very fortunate having a digestive system with such high efficiency that he could eat less than others and yet store away fat, some one that could eat all day and not gain weight would starve,if you choose to fight the system you were born with and not deal with it's strong and weak points appropriately you can expect to have difficulties?

If you had two vehicles one a Geo Metro and the other a Chevy 3/4 ton with a 454, would you attempt to put the same amount of fuel in each assuming they were both going the same distance everyday, would you keep adding tanks to the Geo to hold the excess fuel until it got so heavy you couldn't drive it and had to load it on a trailer and haul it behind the Chevy? Soon you would have to leave it in one spot and use the chevy to haul fuel to it because it could not be moved, all the while the Geo is whining because it doesn't use any more fuel than the chevy.
    it isn't the end of the world to be over weight but at some point you have far overcome the pleasure with the pain and inconvenience you cause yourself and others, 500 pounds, cut back the fuel in the tank, drive more miles and find a tolerable level, crap I just don't buy this and I have heard the story many times.
    I have had to fight to keep my weight down since I quite smoking 25 years ago,my digestive system is extremely efficient, I know too well what it is like and I love food perhaps more than most , cutting your intake will result in losing weight it is physics.

Fabulous Poster
    I have had to fight to keep my weight down since I quite smoking 25 years ago,my digestive system is extremely efficient, I know too well what it is like and I love food perhaps more than most , cutting your intake will result in losing weight it is physics.
    To be clear, I am not making excuses for how he got this way. I am speaking of how he is now and the challenge faced by him. I have long said that we need to treat obesity like a medical disorder, from the beginning, and not like some kind of self indulgence even if you see it as self indulgence. Clearly there is some unknown factor which makes some people more prone to weight gain than others.

I don't think naturally thin people make a conscious decision to control their food intake. I have never met one who does. I do know some people who play with 20 or 30 pounds, but generally excess weight accumulates on them due to some change in routine.

I'll tell you what I think would help a lot: if middle and high schools had physical education that was actually education and not something coaches reluctantly do in the school day to have fun with the jocks while ignoring the needs of the kids that actually need fitness training but who dread phys ed because it's just a way to mock them and drag down their grade point average. I'd like to see phys ed be ungraded and the fat kids in nutrition classes and motivation platoon during phys ed periods and after school.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Since we're dealing with an undefined quantity it's difficult to say whether he does or doesn't. As a rule, a person must consume 10 calories per pound of body weight to maintain his weight. That presumes a normal amount of physical exertion in the course of a day. When you throw in a medical disorder and the eventual cessation of activity then pretty much normal food consumption will indeed maintain the extreme weight. That's when you need to go on a medifast VLC (very low calorie) diet to induce rapid weight loss to make physical effort possible. The problem is that ALL drastic weight reduction methods can cause medical complications because you are inducing malnutrition.

I think there is something else going on here. He doesn't look immobile and yet he uses the scooter. Being on oxygen is rather unusual for a 22 year old of any weight, and again, 500 lbs isn't really the limit of the human body. There are extremely fat people easily observed at Walmart on any given night. I see a handful of them using the electric shopping cart and I want to gently tell them "If you don't get out of that scooter you probably won't be able to someday."

When I wanted to lose weight, I started by walking around the block, then two blocks, and before long I was walking around the town. Then I pulled my bike out of the garage and did the same thing: two miles, four miles, ten miles, the next thing you know I bought a better bike and I was riding to Clearwater and back. Of course, if you really aren't well enough to walk one block, then it's really hard to get started but I learned in hospitals in my teens that recovery starts by walking from one end of the hall to the other and back.

I think some of the shoppers simply use the scooters because they are there to use. I notice that at many of the smaller stores that do not have scooters the same customers get around fine without one. I know there are several exceptions to this. For instance if a person just had surgery and they are at Super Wal Mart needing items at both ends of the store, I understand why they need to use the scooter.

Some of the people using those scooters are rude assholes. They don't care if they run you over and expect you to jump out of their way when they come down an aisle. I think that fits in with the entitlement mentality.