Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1 War On Christmas Starts Early 
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,053
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ns-backs-down/

    Even though the school district backed down, the first salvo was fired on 11/1 meaning the left started their war on Christmas as soon as the last piece of candy was given out on Halloween.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,572
    Since Christmas starts so early, so must the war on it.


    My school district only had us singing secular Christmas songs at our program every year in the 70s, and no one called it "War on Christmas". This did not apply to the high school choir/orchestra when we performed Vivaldi's Gloria or Handel's Messiah, though, because that was "art". The elementary school performances were entertainment for parents.


    One of the radio stations I have programmed in my car went to the Christmas format this week. It's too early. They should start on Thanksgiving.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    I would think it depends on the musical selection. A traditional selection should be OK. Time is a good test. Nothing under a hundred years old would be a good standard.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,910
    Secular schools, secular values.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Drive-by Poster ABC in Georgia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,792
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Secular schools, secular values.
    Thank you Rob!!!

    secular (adj)

    Of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.

    Why don't some folks get it? Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Christ.

    I detest folks calling it "Xmas" or wishing me "Happy Holidays!" When cashiers in stores say that to me ... I always smile (benignly) and say, "What holiday?" Do you mean 'Christmas?' Most stumble and don't know what to say. Those that do, apologize and say that is what they are told to say. Is store policy.

    Nastly little Christian, aren't I? Then again ... Never said that I was perfect!

    Noonie ... "The elementary school performances were entertainment for parents."

    How can you say that? Do you have children? Have you not seen how they love to go on stage, get dressed up in shepherd's costumes, wise men, even donkeys, cattle etc? Have you not heard them sing their little hearts out ... even if dreadfully off-key at times?

    Have you not seen the smiles that come to their faces, when it is over when their parents hug them for their performances?
    American By Choice ~ 1980
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Drive-by Poster ABC in Georgia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,792
    Rats! Left out the word NOT, as in ...

    (Benignly NOT!)
    American By Choice ~ 1980
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,053
    This is why my daughter(if I get to keep her) is going to Christian school.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Why don't some folks get it? Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Christ.
    It's also a religious artifact in our culture as are the cultural traditions it replaced, modified, or assimilated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is why my daughter(if I get to keep her) is going to Christian school.
    That and the fact that your charges at work are largely the product of the public school system. I would say that tuition is a greater barrier to that culture as religion is. Which is not to say that more than a few graduated of St Somebody's have ended up in prison.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    I detest folks calling it "Xmas" or wishing me "Happy Holidays!"
    Me too; the former because it's lazy and the latter because it's ridiculously bland. However, the latter could be taken to mean "Happy Christmas and New Year" in which case it's functional.


    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    I always smile (benignly) and say, "What holiday?" Do you mean 'Christmas?' Most stumble and don't know what to say.
    As a rule it's impolite to correct the usage or pronunciation of a stranger if you can gather their meaning without making them feel stupid or inappropriate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •