Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Thank you Rob!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is why my daughter(if I get to keep her) is going to Christian school.
    Bless your boots, NJ!!! (Personal idiosyncracy of mine)

And hope that this time it is meant to be!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That and the fact that your charges at work are largely the product of the public school system. I would say that tuition is a greater barrier to that culture as religion is. Which is not to say that more than a few graduated of St Somebody's have ended up in prison.
    I honestly believe that if private schools are more successful at teaching values and academics, it's because their parents care enough about their education to begin with. That isn't to say that parents of public schools don't. I think most do. Unfortunately, we have too many parents who don't give two flips and it's affecting the entire school system. That's the problem.

As for the music, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I wouldn't want my kids coming to school and listening to Islamic music. This goes back to the golden rule, which is in the bible. At the same time, with every new banning, I think it might take away hope from the kids and even the teachers. One thing I liked about working with kids who had disabilities was that I saw these rules get broken all of the time. Those teachers and administrators got away with it. That's because there are far bigger issues than politics. Most of the students and teachers understand that. In a regular setting, an atheist student might be targeted for not participating in certain things. In classrooms where the kids have disabilities, the teachers make it a bigger point to try to teach the students to treat others with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Thank you Rob!!!

Why don't some folks get it? Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Christ.

I detest folks calling it "Xmas" or wishing me "Happy Holidays!" When cashiers in stores say that to me ... I always smile (benignly) and say, "What holiday?" Do you mean 'Christmas?' Most stumble and don't know what to say. Those that do, apologize and say that is what they are told to say. Is store policy.

Nastly little Christian, aren't I? Then again ... Never said that I was perfect!

Noonie ... "The elementary school performances were entertainment for parents."

How can you say that? Do you have children? Have you not seen how they love to go on stage, get dressed up in shepherd's costumes, wise men, even donkeys, cattle etc? Have you not heard them sing their little hearts out ... even if dreadfully off-key at times?

Have you not seen the smiles that come to their faces, when it is over when their parents hug them for their performances?

We had a wonderful Christmas pageant every year. I was Mary one year in it, there were little kids dressed as shepards, wise men and donkeys. It was at my family's church.

We had a secular performance at our school Christmas concert. We sang Jingle Bells and All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth, and we blacked out our front teeth for that song. We had kids dressed as Santa, Mrs. Claus, elves and reindeer. We showed off the musical instruments that our parents' tax dollars bought the school, like the cool xylophones, drums, recorders and cymbals. The one Jewish kid in my school participated because his parents were not bothered by the Santa Claus aspect of the holiday.

Power CUer
    Me too; the former because it's lazy and the latter because it's ridiculously bland. However, the latter could be taken to mean "Happy Christmas and New Year" in which case it's functional.
    It's also functional when Hanukah and Christmas come right next to each other or overlap, as they often do (and yes, we have both in our house). This year, it's more "Happy Thanksukah!"
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It's also functional when Hanukah and Christmas come right next to each other or overlap, as they often do (and yes, we have both in our house). This year, it's more "Happy Thanksukah!"

A thansukah is one of those sheds y'all eat dinner in sometimes, right?

I would think it depends on the musical selection. A traditional selection should be OK. Time is a good test. Nothing under a hundred years old would be a good standard.
    Day-um. I actually agree with Nova on this one.

There are a lot of contemporary arrangements of traditional carols, and many of them are quite good.

But the simplicity of the original is more fulfilling, I think.

Brass and the voice -- these are the two timbres that I want to hear at Christmas. Strings? Woodwinds? Screaming guitars and thumping percussion? Not so much.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Day-um. I actually agree with Nova on this one.

There are a lot of contemporary arrangements of traditional carols, and many of them are quite good.

But the simplicity of the original is more fulfilling, I think.

Brass and the voice -- these are the two timbres that I want to hear at Christmas. Strings? Woodwinds? Screaming guitars and thumping percussion? Not so much.

You can't have the best Bach, Vivaldi and Pachelbel Christmas music without strings. You can, I guess, but it just wouldn't sound right.

I'm really partial to Vivaldi's Gloria, as far as Christmas music goes. I like it much better than Handel's Messiah.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You can't have the best Bach, Vivaldi and Pachelbel Christmas music without strings. You can, I guess, but it just wouldn't sound right.

I'm really partial to Vivaldi's Gloria, as far as Christmas music goes. I like it much better than Handel's Messiah.
    Meh. I can live without Bach, Vivaldi, and Händel for Christmas. Mrs. E plays the Messiah every year on viola and I've heard the piece over and over and over...

I'm a brass player and that's where my preferences are. If you put some of the purity of a boy's choir in there, I'm with you on that.

I get a steady diet of strings throughout the year. For Christmas, it's brass, baby.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Fabulous Poster
    Nova's contribution to the war on Christmas is to unplug anything that plays one line of ten Christmas carols over and over. I was working in a store many years ago and one of those primitive computerized Christmas trees played this over and over:

Silent night, holy night, all is calm all is bright, o little town of Bethlehem how still we see thee lie, God rest ye merry gentlemen let nothing you dismay, we wish you a merry christmas we wish you a merry Christmas, love and joy come to you and a merry christmas too, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, Adeste fideles læti triumphantes, Venite, venite in Bethlehem, we three kings of the ghetto are bearing gifts we stole from your car, Silent night, holy night, all is calm all is bright, o little town of Bethlehem how still we see thee lie, God rest ye merry gentlemen let nothing you dismay, we wish you a merry christmas we wish you a merry Christmas, love and joy come to you and a merry christmas too, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, Adeste fideles læti triumphantes, Venite, venite in Bethlehem, we three kings of the ghetto are bearing gifts we stole from your car,Silent night, holy night, all is calm all is bright, o little town of Bethlehem how still we see thee lie, God rest ye merry gentlemen let nothing you dismay, we wish you a merry christmas we wish you a merry Christmas, love and joy come to you and a merry christmas too, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, Adeste fideles læti triumphantes, Venite, venite in Bethlehem, we three kings of the ghetto are bearing gifts we stole from your car,