Thread: Book Thread!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Book Thread! 
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I just finished reading the massive Dan Simmons book, Carrion Comfort. It was fine, not the point of this thread though. I have been waiting almost 8 friggin years for the final book in the Sharon Kay Penman trilogy about Henry and Eleanor. DS is on his way home with it now. I could almost cry. It better be good.

So, what are y'all reading?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I just finished reading the massive Dan Simmons book, Carrion Comfort. It was fine, not the point of this thread though. I have been waiting almost 8 friggin years for the final book in the Sharon Kay Penman trilogy about Henry and Eleanor. DS is on his way home with it now. I could almost cry. It better be good.

So, what are y'all reading?
    Henry II and Eleanor of Acquitaine?

I just finished The Academy by Bentley Little. It was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Henry II and Eleanor of Acquitaine?
    Is that how you spell it? Huh. Yes, those two.

Banned
    Is that how you spell it? Huh. Yes, those two.
    Nope, you're correct. It's Aquitaine. Nevertheless, a wonderful movie with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Nope, you're correct. It's Aquitaine. Nevertheless, a wonderful movie with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn.
    The Lion in Winter? I've never seen that movie. Penman writes great books about the Plantagenets. This last one will most likely take place during the time of that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    Some of his books are really stupid. DS was just asking about buying that one. Not worth it, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    :eek: Bite your tongue, woman! Bentley Little rocks! I'll still read it, regardless...:D

I finished reading Edward Lee's latest, Brides of the Impaler (and please, check out my review of it on bn.com, under the same listing for said book), which also happens to be my current avatar. I am reading Deathbringer by Bryan Smith, a relatively new horror author who writes in the same vein as Lee, Laymon, Little, etc. He's sick and twisted...and I love 'em!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Some of his books are really stupid. DS was just asking about buying that one. Not worth it, huh?
    Little had about three good books in him and all the rest are just formulaic idiocy. I'm reading "The Devil's Labyrinth" by John Saul. It's pretty okay so far.

I've never read any of his other books so I can only base my opinion on this one. I picked it up on a whim from the new books shelf at my local library.

The story was just odd and, in my opinion, not well developed. The first 90 percent of the book was build up for a climax that was, quite frankly, dull. It was a disappointment.

His style of writing though did keep me turning the page well into the night. I finished it quickly which says something because I have a tendency to drag out novels for a while. I just didn't like the story.

And perhaps I am paranoid or I haven't fully shaken off my English major filter, but I swear the "academy" was a metaphor for our country and what he, the author, perceives as one that is becoming a Nazi-like institution. I felt like it was an underhanded swipe at the Bush Administration. I could sense the author's inner moonbat in certain places.

It didn't help that toward the beginning of the book he called a character a "Rush Limbaugh Republican" and spoke of her in not-so-loving prose.

So, yeah, I'm probably not going to read any others by him. :D
    Last edited by jendf; 10-03-2008 at 11:24 PM.