Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Spike Lee Sued Over George Zimmerman Tweet 
    Power CUer
    In my opinion, they are suing for too little

Spike Lee Sued Over George Zimmerman Tweet

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html

An elderly Florida couple who found themselves caught in the center of the George Zimmerman-Trayvon Martin case last year has filed a lawsuit against film director Spike Lee for retweeting information that mistook their home for Zimmerman's.

Lee sent a Twitter message last year to his 240,000 followers with an address that he thought belonged to Zimmerman, who was accused of killing the unarmed teenager Martin.

But the address was actually that of Elaine and David McClain of Sanford, Fla., both in their early 70s, whose home became the focal point of online vitriol aimed at Zimmerman, who also lived in Sanford.

Now the McClains have accused Lee of negligence in a lawsuit filed in Florida and posted by The Smoking Gun.

The original source of the misinformation was a man in California, who tweeted the address to various celebrities, according to the lawsuit.

Lee then retweeted to his followers with the same address, which was repeated hundreds of times with threatening messages.

The McClains told Orlando, Fla., news station WKMG-TV that the wife's youngest son's name is George Zimmerman but he had no relation to the Zimmerman involved in the case and had not lived at the home in years. They have not sued anyone else.

The McClains said in their lawsuit that they feared for their lives after their address was broadcast on Lee's account. They are seeking at least $15,000 in damages....

Indeed they are thinking small, but they sound like honest people. If he had any brains they'd settle quickly with a bonus amount so he wouldn't look quite so much like an arrogant a__hole.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Indeed they are thinking small, but they sound like honest people. If he had any brains they'd settle quickly with a bonus amount so he wouldn't look quite so much like an arrogant a__hole.
    Your lips to God's ears, SLW!

We currently have a much more intriguing case in metro Detroit that is being compared to the Zimmerman one.

In Dearborn Heights, a 19 year old african american girl was shot to death by a homeowner when she was knocking on his door at 4:00 am in the morning. She had been in a car accident approximately 3 hours earlier, up the street from where the shooting occurred.

I have not heard any reports on the race or name of the man who shot her-the police are witholding it pending investigation. I'm guessing white, possibly arab, given it's Dearborn Hts. It's a part that borders on the city of Detroit, I'm not sure if the car accident occurred in Detroit or not. She had taken off on foot from the scene of the accident.

There are a lot of holes in the story, and I'm guessing that's why there's been no arrest yet. The police are trying to figure out what happened between the accident and the shooting. She was shot through the door while she was standing on the guy's porch, unarmed.

The media has not been as all over this case as you would think.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We currently have a much more intriguing case in metro Detroit that is being compared to the Zimmerman one.

In Dearborn Heights, a 19 year old african american girl was shot to death by a homeowner when she was knocking on his door at 4:00 am in the morning. She had been in a car accident approximately 3 hours earlier, up the street from where the shooting occurred.

I have not heard any reports on the race or name of the man who shot her-the police are witholding it pending investigation. I'm guessing white, possibly arab, given it's Dearborn Hts. It's a part that borders on the city of Detroit, I'm not sure if the car accident occurred in Detroit or not. She had taken off on foot from the scene of the accident.

There are a lot of holes in the story, and I'm guessing that's why there's been no arrest yet. The police are trying to figure out what happened between the accident and the shooting. She was shot through the door while she was standing on the guy's porch, unarmed.

If a stranger showed up an my door at 4AM, my first thoughts would be defensive. I would never guess that the person had been in a car accident that late at night. Of course, I would have called 911--unless the stranger were physically threatening.

I'd like to hear more details about this when they come out.

Especially in the Detroit area.

I read something on the story the other day, it was keying in on that the coroner was saying she hadn't been shot at close range.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I've seen the case... is the black reporter always looking to bitch-slap everyone, or is it just this story?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

This is probably why, had it been a white, even a white-hispanic(lol), the media would have been all over it. Of course, thinkprogress had a story and blames the evil NRA and stand your ground law, castle doctrine, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    This is probably why, had it been a white, even a white-hispanic(lol), the media would have been all over it. Of course, thinkprogress had a story and blames the evil NRA and stand your ground law, castle doctrine, etc.

He shot her through the door-I don't think stand your ground applies in that situation, unless she was acting in a threatening manner. Even then.

Her family is speculating a great deal about that 3 hours-maybe she hit her head in the accident and was out of it. I'm thinking she was DUI, fled the scene, and was confused because she was intoxicated and trying to avoid the police. None of that means that the guy had any right to shoot her, but it does make the case less clear-cut.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    They should be taking him to the cleaners. Knowing the mob mentality, this could have gotten ugly. Someone could have been hurt whether it was Zimmerman's family or these people. Lee should be prosecuted here because his intent was to fire up the trogs to harm these people physically, but he won't. The county prosecutor doesn't have the guts to charge criminally a black celebrity.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.