Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Money for the Philippines 
    Fabulous Poster
    Does anyone know where to make donations that they will actually go to help the folks in the Philippines?

A woman from the UN was on TV and gave out a number, text "aid" to 27722 or something like that, but an internet check on that number shows that it's not specific to the Philippines, in fact it only comes up with relief for Africa. This seems similar to the Red Cross issue a few years ago when people gave money that they were told would go to Katrina victims in Louisiana and Mississippi only to find out it went into a general fund.

I feel that Americans have a special relationship with the Filipinos, not only as a country but as a people with close cultural and familial ties. They have been one of the most productive and positive large immigrant groups this country has known. They know or learn English and sometimes speak Spanish, and yet maintain their own language but don't demand that it be used by Americans. They are as likely to have you over for a traditional Christmas dinner as they are to surprise you with some treat from their culture or borrowed from China. I have only known them to be friendly and an asset to this nation.

This article has several suggestions at the bottom of it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-...he-philippines

In case of disasters Mr. ABC and I always send to The Salvation Army, as 100% of the donations are sent to help out the victims.

https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/TyphoonHaiyan
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Also can choose to mail in donations if preferred:

MAIL-IN DONATIONS

Check donations (designate “Typhoon Haiyan”) can be mailed to:

Salvation Army World Service Office
    International Relief Fund
    P.O. Box 418558
    Boston, MA 02241-8558
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    In case of disasters Mr. ABC and I always send to The Salvation Army, as 100% of the donations are sent to help out the victims.

https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/TyphoonHaiyan

The Salvation Army is already there, were there before the storm and will be there for as long as it takes. They have high standards of accountability, as far as their money goes. On top of all that, they run Harbor Light in Detroit, which is a drug treatment program that doesn't give up on junkies, when everyone else does. I admire that commitment.

I support the Red Cross when it comes to some things, but their track record after 9-11 is mixed. They have a lot of overhead, too-not as much as the United Way, but, still, they pay their executive staff members much more than the SA does theirs.

Fabulous Poster
    Salvation Army it is. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Salvation Army it is. Thanks.
    Okay, not only do you say nice things about immigrants, but then you give money to a religious charity? Who are you and what have you done with the real Nova?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Okay, not only do you say nice things about immigrants, but then you give money to a religious charity? Who are you and what have you done with the real Nova?
    That is why I did not post links to religious charities such as SA. I didn't think he would support any of them. Samaritan's Purse is another great charity to help those in need.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I support the Red Cross when it comes to some things, but their track record after 9-11 is mixed. They have a lot of overhead, too-not as much as the United Way, but, still they pay their executive staff members much more than the SA does theirs.
    I did not post a link to the American Red Cross. I think that is the organization that you are talking about.

I posted a link to the Philippine Red Cross.

They need donations.

Born officially in 1947, but with roots that traces back to the revolutionary days, the Philippine Red Cross has truly become the premier humanitarian organization in the country, committed to provide quality life-saving services that protect the life and dignity especially of indigent Filipinos in vulnerable situations.

The story of the Philippine Red Cross is the story of men and women from all walks of life who have dedicated themselves to the service of humanity. It is the tale of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people who devoted their time and resources to help the poorest of the poor. Professionally trained and truly compassionate, these men and women are ready to lend a helping hand to those in need – whoever, whenever and wherever they may be.

In all its 63 years of reputable existence, the Philippine Red Cross has lived through many changes that were intended to help more people. Where it used to be involved only in providing blood and in disaster-related activities, the Philippine Red Cross now focuses on a holistic approach to uplift the condition of the most vulnerable. Where it used to offer short-term palliatives, it now offers a wider array of humanitarian services ranging from preventive medicine to therapeutic counseling, to youth leadership.

http://www.redcross.org.ph/about