Thread: Strand Books Used Sprinklers to Douse Homeless, Employees Say

1. #1 Strand Books Used Sprinklers to Douse Homeless, Employees Say 
    By Rosa Goldensohn on November 14, 2013 6:50am | Updated on November 14, 2013 6:50am

GREENWICH VILLAGE — The Strand Book Store used its sprinkler system to drive away homeless people from beneath its famous red awning and yanked a sign warning people of the tactic after a reporter asked about it, DNAinfo New York has learned.
    Signs reading, “Warning: Sprinkler System Will Run Periodically From 10:30 PM-9:00 AM” were placed on the wall of the bookshop at the corner of East 12th Street and Broadway. Some homeless people said they were doused when they tried to sleep on the sidewalk in front of the store, store employees and the homeless said.
    “It was to keep people from sleeping out there,” said a Strand bookseller who asked that her name not be used. “People used to sleep over there and in the morning we have to put out the book carts, so it was a little bit difficult and uncomfortable for some people."
    Strand co-owner Nancy Bass Wyden — who is married to U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) and is the granddaughter of Strand founder Ben Bass, who opened the shop in 1927 — said in a brief phone interview Thursday that she was “not sure” about the reason for the sprinklers.
    Strand manager Eddie Sutton denied the sprinklers were intended to disperse the homeless, saying they were there to clean the sidewalk.
    The warning sign had been removed as of Friday.
    Michael Pilgrim, 44, who sleeps under scaffolding across the street from the Strand, said he has seen fellow homeless people get sprayed trying to take shelter in front of the store.
    “A couple of people were staying under there and the sprinklers came on. And last time I tried to sleep under there, security came by and said, you gotta move before the sprinklers come on,” Pilgrim said.
    “It was bad because you get soaking wet. If you’re lying there and you don’t know about it, everything is going to get soaking wet — all your personal belongings. You’re going to freeze, basically."
    Charise Paschall, 39, who was trying to sleep close to Pilgrim on the pavement, added, “It’s already cold. You’re going to basically freeze to death."
    Local homeless people said that in years past they regularly took shelter under the Strand’s awning without the threat of sprinklers. Moe>
    http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...douse-homeless
    If you don't goes you get dah hoze!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

The Strand is an awesome bookstore. I wouldn't want the homeless around, either.

I love how the basic premise of this piece is that the homeless somehow have a "right" to sleep in front of the bookstore, and that the store has no right to keep them away from its property. Talk about getting it backwards.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I love how the basic premise of this piece is that the homeless somehow have a "right" to sleep in front of the bookstore, and that the store has no right to keep them away from its property. Talk about getting it backwards.
    Many years ago a friend of mine opened his second location in Greenwich Village. The other location is in West Hollywood. Opening the business in Hollywood was simply a matter of writing checks, ordering services like painters, awnings, signage. Of course, the electrical work in the build out had to be permitted and inspected but it was no big deal. New York was another story. I was surprised at the grief he had to go through to have an awning on the front of his business on Greenwich Avenue. We talked about it, and neither of us could understand what the big deal was. I guess this might explain it. Apparently awnings not only make a business look polished, they invite homeless people to move in?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Many years ago a friend of mine opened his second location in Greenwich Village. The other location is in West Hollywood. Opening the business in Hollywood was simply a matter of writing checks, ordering services like painters, awnings, signage. Of course, the electrical work in the build out had to be permitted and inspected but it was no big deal. New York was another story. I was surprised at the grief he had to go through to have an awning on the front of his business on Greenwich Avenue. We talked about it, and neither of us could understand what the big deal was. I guess this might explain it. Apparently awnings not only make a business look polished, they invite homeless people to move in?
    NYC has mountains of regulations that make opening a business almost suicidally complex, which is why so many small businesses are moving out and large chains, which can absorb the compliance costs over several locations, are replacing them. It's arguably the least hospitable business climate in the nation, although I'm surprised that West Hollywood and the rest of Los Angeles doesn't come in closer. Years ago, I looking into building a house in West LA, and had found a property with a tear-down shack on it. My plan was to build a triplex, basically townhomes, sell two of them at a high enough markup to cover the cost of the overall construction and thus cover my own costs. The economics worked out fine, but the city made it impossible, not because of zoning or other use restrictions, but because the permitting process would take a full year from the date of filing for the permits, and I couldn't absorb a year's worth of mortgage payments on a vacant lot. I was told that if I was willing to assign one of the townhomes as low-income housing, that the city would expedite the process, but since the two other townhomes were supposed to cover the cost, and I didn't want to start my homestead with one-third of it set aside to become a slum, I dropped the project.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I was told that if I was willing to assign one of the townhomes as low-income housing, that the city would expedite the process, but since the two other townhomes were supposed to cover the cost, and I didn't want to start my homestead with one-third of it set aside to become a slum, I dropped the project.
    Gotta love liberalism. What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Gotta love liberalism. What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.
    And if you won't give me what's yours, I'll ruin it for you. Yep, liberals are just wonderful...
    --Odysseus

I was in NYC in the summer of 1990. There were a lot of homeless people hanging out in Central Park. They were all hanging out in the Strawberry Fields memorial part, which is the memorial for John Lennon and it is located right across the street from the Dakota, where he was murdered and where Yoko still lived. NYPD tried to evict the homeless from a tourist site, and Yoko came running out of the Dakota and yelled at the cops not to evict the bums from that spot, that John would want them to sleep there.

It was on the news that night, and we were all laughing. As we were from Detroit, we were kind of amazed that the police will actually evict homeless people from a public park. Even in 1990, that wasn't a DPD priority.