Hybrid View

1. #1 MSNBC's Martin Bashir: Unbelievable 
    Power CUer
    The next time anyone complains about Fox being on in a waiting room or car dealership....

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/11/15/u...e-in-her-eyes/

BASHIR: It’lll be like slavery. Given her well-established reputation as a world class idiot, it’s hardly surprising that she should choose to mention slavery in a way that is abominable to anyone who knows anything about its barbaric history. So here’s an example.

One of the most comprehensive first-person accounts of slavery comes from the personal diary of a man called Thomas Thistlewood, who kept copious notes for 39 years. Thistlewood was the son of a tenant farmer who arrived on the island of Jamaica in April 1750, and assumed the position of overseer at a major plantation. What is most shocking about Thistlewood’s diary is not simply the fact that he assumes the right to own and possess other human beings, but is the sheer cruelty and brutality of his regime.

In 1756, he records that “A slave named Darby catched eating canes; had him well flogged and pickled, then made Hector, another slave, s-h-i-t in his mouth.” This became known as Darby’s dose, a punishment invented by Thistlewood that spoke only of the slave owners savagery and inhumanity.

And he mentions a similar incident again in 1756, this time in relation to a man he refers to as Punch. “Flogged Punch well, and then washed and rubbed salt pickle, lime juice and bird pepper; made Negro Joe piss in his eyes and mouth.
    ” I could go on, but you get the point.

When Mrs. Palin invoked slavery, she doesn’t just prove her rank ignorance. She confirms that if anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood, then she would be the outstanding candidate.

Interestingly, this Thistlewood guy was never in the American South:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Thistlewood

Thomas Thistlewood (16 March 1721 – 30 November 1786) was a British landowner and estate overseer who migrated to western Jamaica. He is remembered for his diary, which became an important historical document on slavery and history of Jamaica.

Fabulous Poster
    I hate it when I am put in the position of defending Sarah Palin.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I hate it when I am put in the position of defending Sarah Palin.
    Whether you like or dislike Palin is immaterial: this rebuttal is crude and disgusting in the extreme. Mediaite puts it this way: "Martin Bashir Says Someone Should Sh*t in Sarah Palin’s Mouth"

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Whether you like or dislike Palin is immaterial: this rebuttal is crude and disgusting in the extreme. Mediaite puts it this way: "Martin Bashir Says Someone Should Sh*t in Sarah Palin’s Mouth"
    I really don't care if someone suggests that someone should crap in Palin's mouth. It's vulgar, but then look at the things people say here. My objections to Bashir in general are that he's a foreigner who makes his living America bashing in the US. My specific objection in the context of this article is that he's being particularly disingenuous. He has found an extreme account of slavery in Jamaica and is saying "This is what slavery was like." I'm not saying that slavery was swell for the slaves, but I am saying that the Thistlewood account appears to be extreme by any contemporary account by slave or master. To employ this extreme story to piss on Palin for likening America's debt to slavery is or ought to be beneath someone with Bashir's credentials.

He should know that there are a great many poorly educated black people in the US whose entire knowledge and belief system about slavery comes from tainted sources in the "Afrocentric Academic community". As such , he is validating the disinformation which is used to promote hate and violence emanating from the black community and aimed largely at the white community. This makes Bashir complicit.

Power CUer
    I really don't care if someone suggests that someone should crap in Palin's mouth.
    Here is another area where you and I differ. I will argue a point through to what I believe is its logical conclusion, but I will not call you crude names. I do not expect anyone in public life to speak like that either, especially not an anchor on a station that claims to be supporting "women's issues." There is a certain crudeness that MSNBC uses when women get in the way of their plans. I still remember what Olbermann said about Hillary Clinton during the primary in 2008. MSNBC has no problem with misogyny when it suits their purposes. I have yet to hear Bashir, or anyone else, suggest that anyone should defecate in a male politician's mouth.

My objections to Bashir in general are that he's a foreigner who makes his living America bashing in the US.
    Then you must be no fan of Piers Morgan, either. I'm sick of the finger wagging Brits myself.

My specific objection in the context of this article is that he's being particularly disingenuous. He has found an extreme account of slavery in Jamaica and is saying "This is what slavery was like." I'm not saying that slavery was swell for the slaves, but I am saying that the Thistlewood account appears to be extreme by any contemporary account by slave or master.
    This is the exact point.

To employ this extreme story to piss on Palin for likening America's debt to slavery is or ought to be beneath someone with Bashir's credentials.
    If you remember, Occupy Wall Street protestors carried signs that said "Debt=Slavery". The concept is quite Biblical. Proverbs 22:7 specifically states that "the borrower is slave to the lender." Dave Ramsey uses this quote all the time on his radio show. No one has accused either OWS or Dave Ramsey of being racist.

He should know that there are a great many poorly educated black people in the US whose entire knowledge and belief system about slavery comes from tainted sources in the "Afrocentric Academic community". As such , he is validating the disinformation which is used to promote hate and violence emanating from the black community and aimed largely at the white community. This makes Bashir complicit.
    It may be his knowledge that leads him (and MSNBC) to do exactly what he does.

I don't recall Bashir or any other liberal getting their panties in a wad when Adrian Peterson or Warren Sapp compared being a multimillionaire football player in the NFL to slavery. I wonder why that is?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    In today's world that is a sexual act that should be encouraged and celebrated, along with peeing on someone.

I really don't care if someone suggests that someone should crap in Palin's mouth. It's vulgar, but then look at the things people say here. My objections to Bashir in general are that he's a foreigner who makes his living America bashing in the US. My specific objection in the context of this article is that he's being particularly disingenuous. He has found an extreme account of slavery in Jamaica and is saying "This is what slavery was like." I'm not saying that slavery was swell for the slaves, but I am saying that the Thistlewood account appears to be extreme by any contemporary account by slave or master. To employ this extreme story to piss on Palin for likening America's debt to slavery is or ought to be beneath someone with Bashir's credentials.

Wow. A leftist jackass makes a viciously crude statement that should offend anyone, regardless of political orientation, and you object to his being a foreigner and his mischaracterization of slavery? Jeez, even when you're right, you're wrong.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

It's vulgar, but then look at the things people say here.
    A typical strawman attempt by Nova. Difference is that we aren't media pundits, however I've never seen anyone here say anything remotely disgusting except for the leftists that have been through here and since you went there, nothing compares to the vile disgusting things said at the DU. These were people who tap danced all over Tony Snow's grave and did so gleefully. If it' done here it's more likely 1 or 2 people, not an entire site. But I'll give you a chance. I want you to go find a conservative either on radio or TV that has said anything remotely close to this. As usual, I'll wait.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.