Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Dan, when they said it has happened in St Louis, was it very long ago and where did it occur? I worry about my family there, so glad that I'm not selling office equipment anymore in STL. I had to go in some really dangerous areas, pretty much stopped it at the end, figured the commissions not worth my life.
    It was in Highland Park, MI (a suburb of Detroit within the city limits of Detroit), in 1982. The victim's name was Vincent Chin.

Someone needs to go all Zimmerman on their ass.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

It's just the kind of thing you get in a society that fosters increasing entitlement and decreasing accountability. I don't see it catching on anywhere that has concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    It's just the kind of thing you get in a society that fosters increasing entitlement and decreasing accountability. I don't see it catching on anywhere that has concealed carry.
    I have heard that it is getting little play with the main stream media.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Eventually, the thugs are going to try their knockout game on the wrong person in an open/carry city, and there will be dead thugs.

It could be Detroit, we're an open/carry city, unlike most big, democratic cities.

Fabulous Poster
    In theory I would agree with you, but given that I live in a warm weather resort I can testify that the elements here really try hard to conform to northern urban stereotypes at times. For example, as soon as the temp drops below 74ºF you start to see the hoodies up, knit caps, heavier bling and clothing.

We have had a couple of attacks on the bike trail... which is why I (and some of the guys at the bike shop as well) always carry when riding. Mostly there is the deliberate inconsideration where they wander down the middle of the trail three and four abreast acting like they aren't going to move to the side.

So if we had knock out games here I would expect to see it on the trail, at the beach or church or someplace where you don't expect a person to be armed.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Eventually, the thugs are going to try their knockout game on the wrong person in an open/carry city, and there will be dead thugs.

It could be Detroit, we're an open/carry city, unlike most big, democratic cities.
    The problem with the responses in the DU thread, and the comments in published stories about this, is that certain people jump through hoops to de-racialize this crime. How can you be a part of the solution if you deny that the problem exists? Liberal America and Minority America have worked very hard to establish in the public mind the shibboleth that it isn't race/ethnicity and the culture that goes with it that underlies the criminal or anti-social behavior, it's poverty, or discrimination, or Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome (seriously Google it), or anything but the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    How can you be a part of the solution if you deny that the problem exists? Liberal America and Minority America have worked very hard to establish in the public mind the shibboleth that it isn't race/ethnicity and the culture that goes with it that underlies the criminal or anti-social behavior, it's poverty, or discrimination, or Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome (seriously Google it), or anything but the obvious.
    It's amusing that you can say that about this topic, but the exact same thing could be said about moving homosexuality from being classed as a paraphilia to being regarded as normal due to some unidentified and probably nonexistent 'Gay gene.'

Fabulous Poster
    It's amusing that you can say that about this topic, but the exact same thing could be said about moving homosexuality from being classed as a paraphilia to being regarded as normal due to some unidentified and probably nonexistent 'Gay gene.'
    There is no conflict there. While the notion that sexual orientation is a "choice" is absurd to almost anything who thinks about it (it suggests that heterosexuals made some choice to be heterosexual as well) it's utterly irrelevant as a matter of law and society. As American citizens we are entitled to equal rights under law and policy. The ghetto rat is also entitled to equal rights under law and policy, but what sets him apart is criminal and anti-social behavior committed against another person. A gay person is not committing a crime or anti-social behavior against another person by being gay. The "your existence and insistence on equal rights tramples my right to be a religious bigot" is idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    In theory I would agree with you, but given that I live in a warm weather resort I can testify that the elements here really try hard to conform to northern urban stereotypes at times. For example, as soon as the temp drops below 74ºF you start to see the hoodies up, knit caps, heavier bling and clothing.

We have had a couple of attacks on the bike trail... which is why I (and some of the guys at the bike shop as well) always carry when riding. Mostly there is the deliberate inconsideration where they wander down the middle of the trail three and four abreast acting like they aren't going to move to the side.

So if we had knock out games here I would expect to see it on the trail, at the beach or church or someplace where you don't expect a person to be armed.
    I remember 40 years ago when a sweatshirt jacket that had a hood was just that, a hooded sweatshirt. Now people run in fear if they see one?